HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.30 MAR 2024 02:42  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums
Forum : General Chit Chat
<<   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37   >>
AuthorTopic : Smoke filled room
LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 19 November 2015 - 17:42

October 2015 was the warmest October on record and the warmest month ever recorded relative to the month's average temperature, a new NOAA report says. It was the sixth straight month setting a global temperature record.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 19 November 2015 - 21:52

LOD,
Are you able to see beyond your nose?
It's meaningless that October was the warmest month ...
It's November 19th, 2015;
That is, winter is a whole month away yet and it's been snowing from our west coast in the USA through the central plains for a week

And now the temperatures are starting to plummet in those areas down into the mid 20s
And you live in Sweden where as far as I can tell it's as cold in the northern 2/3s of your country as it is at the north pole.

Also I've got a theory about the Great Wall of China that the Chinese did the *"two birds with one stone"* thing;
That is, all of Siberia across Mongolia is also as cold as the north pole;
So that wall not only kept the Mongols out of China, it kept plenty of cold air out also.

Don't get me wrong, but there's 4 natural phenomena that have an effect on the weather/temperature:
) the 11 year solar cycle
) the tilt of the earth
) the orbit of the earth around the sun changes from elliptical to circular and back again over thousands of years
) and precession which because the earth wobbles and spins the poles actually over thousands of years change where they're pointing so that the seasons actually end up upside down from where they were thousands of years ago.

Anyway, admittedly, I don't know where they are now, but yes there is still a fairly wide band of warm sea water around earth's equatorial tropical zone, but I'm trying to say that it may be because of a shift in the natural phenomena I mentioned

And it may continue that way for hundreds and even thousands of years;
But both poles are returning to their former volume and sea coverage area of ice with Antarctica having reached it's record size ever.

Here's a comparison of the Arctic ice cap from 11/16/15 back to 10/08/15:

*" igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/test/print.sh?fm=11&fd=16&fy=2015&sm=10&sd=08&sy=2015 "*

As you can see, it hasn't gotten smaller ...
It has definitely gotten much larger
And again, it's a whole month away from winter yet in the northern hemisphere.

All I'm trying to say is that that extra warm equatorial band can continue like that for a long time as long as the poles get cold like usual it's not a problem
And actually we may be in for a mini-ice age as I've said before (nothing catastrophic (just a lot more snow to clear)).

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 19 November 2015 - 21:59

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Friday, 20 November 2015 - 15:13

Lot's of snow usually means the weather is warmer than usual (The oceans get warmer and hence the atmosphere become more moist) but that's another story
What is the really big story here is that you seem to know more about this than a wast majority of climate scientists from all around the world.
Winter is very late in this part of the world, we still didn't see any sub zero temperatures (C), as if that would would be of any importance.
How high do you belive the chinese wall to be? 4000 ft?

As for your link about the ice sheet, try this one instead.
igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/test/print.sh?fm=11&fd=16&fy=2015&sm=11&sd=10&sy=2014

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 20 November 2015 - 17:03

Yes, that 11/10/14 shot is one I was showing off myself last year ...
thought we were going to get a repeat this year, but all I can say is that before winter is over, I'm sure the Arctic will look like that again.

However, there is something else and I'm unable to show you because the link I've got keeps fouling:

(took that link out because it's fouling the thread (too wide)).

Anyway, I'm trying to say that there may be more cold and less snow around the poles this year;
But I also suspect they're not showing it all.

Here's another link:

*" www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ "*

Click on *"sea surface temperature"* to see the band of warm equatorial water I mentioned
and click on *"snow"* to see where it's snowing (only shows USA).
Also zoom way out to see global temperatures.

PS:
LOD, I've got 110 college credits (mostly Dean's list) and I aced in Meteorology.
The Great Wall of China is at least 30 feet high (maybe 50 feet) ...
cold air tends to drop down low and Mongolia is hilly and mountainous so that the terrain does most of the work, but if there's a wall across a valley between hills, it's going stop a 30 foot high cold front ...

Naturally the cold air will spill over the wall eventually, but the very coldest air will be at the bottom behind the wall ...
the wall helps keep the temperature a few degrees warmer.

PPS:
On the matter of it being warmer when it snows, you're not looking past your nose again.
Everything has a beginning LOD ...
the snow tends to cool the surroundings off by transfer of heat when melting and reflection of heat (sunlight) when bright white on the ground.

rex

Last Edited : Friday, 20 November 2015 - 17:19

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 21 November 2015 - 02:39

Looks like I was right about my other link not showing snow coverage for some reason because this link does show that the northern hemisphere does have extensive snow coverage as of 11/19/15:

*" www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html "*

Why the snow is not being shown in my other link causes me to wonder who's sponsoring it.
It may just be lack of coverage though (money shortage?).

rex

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Saturday, 21 November 2015 - 06:53

The snow came last night

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Saturday, 19 December 2015 - 14:05

There is no snow here still. Tomorrow it'll be 50F or more the forecst says. Warmest december in recorded history.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Saturday, 19 December 2015 - 19:51

Did anyone happen to notice that the entire world got together to try to stop global warming recently?

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Saturday, 19 December 2015 - 20:08

Yes we did , I was even about to go to Paris but I took ill Ok now though

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 07:52

*"Posted : Saturday, 19 December 2015 - 14:05
"There is no snow here still. Tomorrow it'll be 50F or more the forecst says. Warmest december in recorded history.""*-LOD

It's doubtful that the lowest population states in the North Western USA would agree with you LODDYDAH;
However, we in one of the highest population states of New Jersey would agree with you.

If you don't get the connection of population LODDY, I'll enlighten you ...
the energy folks are losing $billions
And that's a big part of your Paris get together, not to mention the recent Ryan deal with China to drive up the cost of oil with prices at the pump the lowest they've been in over a decade.

Anyway, as I've already said, it may have something to do with a shift in the orbit and/or poles of the earth
And I'm sure Mr. Groundhog will see his shadow again meaning at least 6 more weeks of winter.

Again though, the Arctic icecap is back to a normal coverage (check my links) ...
Granted though, the ME may be experiencing record high temperatures because of a greater concentration of solar energy to the equatorial zones, but the global warmers have already started blaming jihadists for their redistribution of methane.

PS:
Enjoy the warmth while you can LODDY, we've had it too in our eastern states, but we'll be shoveling snow every other day or so soon enough starting possibly tonight.

PPS:
Still enjoying that Washington state snow along with your half dozen or so neighbors Mog?

rex

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 08:17

The temperature in Sweden is not a matter of an opinion poll of the people in the USA. We use thermometers to meassure temperature, not public vote.
What economy has to do with what the temperature actually is, is also an enigma.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 10:55

LOD,
you probably won't ever understand my meaning so I'll just say that you're using an argument for which Mog has always accused me of not concerning myself with the rest of the world ...

Both Antarctica and the Arctic icecaps have come back to normal ice coverage for one example;
But also Sweden has about the area of our north eastern states with probably about less than 1/10th of the population.

That may seem meaningless to you, but I assure you that PSE&G would prefer that our north eastern states have had the temperatures of Montana and Idaho these past two months which are about as big as Sweden with probably a total population equal to that of Sweden.

Anyway, to repeat LOD, the area of Sweden is insignificant to the total.

rex

Last Edited : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 10:57

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 11:28

As I remember it you used NJ as proof there is no global warming. But it's ofcourse not only Sweden that is warm all or most of Europe face the same problem. The alps, for example, have not snow enough but must create artificial snow. Ski resorts are in deep trouble this season, all around Europe.

Last Edited : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 22:24

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Sunday, 20 December 2015 - 18:35

Arctic ice has not recovered as shown in this debunking article:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Has-Arctic-sea-ice-recovered.htm

So, that is another idea that is shown to be untrue. Got any other debunkables, Bunky?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 03:07

LOD, again, same argument;
That is, I have used the entire north western hemisphere to make my argument with Mog saying that it was only a small part of the whole ...

Europe adds to my population argument that this is about lost money by energy companies because again, we're speaking of a small area relative to the areas of the north western hemisphere covered in ice and snow:

*" www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html "*

with warm temperatures and a high population not using the normal amount of energy to keep warm in Europe.

PS:
Mog, look at my link ...
can't access your link without too much difficulty ...
again, my other link although it shows the ice coverage in the Arctic has returned, it isn't showing the snow coverage for some reason;

Whereas the link I've provided shows the ice coverage in yellow and it shows that all of Canada and a third of the USA are covered in snow.

Sorry guys, I think I'm still winning the argument.

rex

Last Edited : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 03:12

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 09:51

Whatever has the population to do with how cold or hot it is?
Do you belive people in some way give off heat enough to raise the temperature? Maybe they fart a lot, producing methane enough to speed up the global warming

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 14:58

That link you conveniently can't access points out that while in some years new ice will cover the areas that used to be covered with thick, multi-year ice which no longer exists. It's an optical trick, but it doesn't support your thesis that the ice has all come back. It hasn't, and there is plenty of solid evidence from actual scientists who measure these sorts of things to back me up on this contention.

Shall I post a few hundred links pointing out this same phenomenon so you can read up on what is actually happening? I bet you couldn't access any of those either! Or, you could try searching with Mister Google yourself, the evidence is overwhelming and easy to access. For most of us.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 21:28

Well LOD,
at least you caught on to my methane redistribution joke.
However, population has to do with lots of $$$ spent or not on energy to keep warm ...
can't help it if you have a one track mind.

rex

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 - 23:22

https://www.facebook.com/nina.labbart/posts/10153463654883541?notif_t=close_friend_activity

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 22 December 2015 - 02:40

This is getting old. Quite frankly, I find it a waste of time for any argument about the validity of climate change to still be taking place. We know it is happening, we have enough data that points towards this. Why are we still having these conversations? Lets move on to speak about possible solutions and what these could mean for the world in the long run.

<<   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37   >>
Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.162109 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap