HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.25 APR 2024 14:47  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Clan Discussions   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Clan Discussions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   >>
AuthorTopic : A Merc Game with a Twist
Hack & Slash Chickie
Joined 5/01/2004

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 05:28

The idea of having mercs in a game has been bounced around a lot lately and a lot of the clans can't Field enough players for a clan game.

ALL 4 ONE has a recruiting camp going, and its going pretty well, he is still getting messages from players that wanted in just to play a clan game.

So Bravo and I have an idea, to host a 25 player MERC GAME(We would rather use the 40 player map but can't seem to find it, that is if we could drum up enough players), to enter you must be a member of a clan or a merc sponsored by a clan. Here is the big catch, no matter how many players a clan has entered, at no time may the average combined camp score be over 150. So if a 300 wants to enter he would have to sponsor a 0 to enter before him.
The way it has been lately to get a clan game going has been hard. We think that we need to find a way to make it fun for outside people who don't belong to a clan, they can be old or newer players we just need to get some interest sparked and get a little fun going. We might be able to get clans filled up or new ones starting and then clan wars would be more active again. We are looking forward to feedback, comments and suggestions. Now let's see what we can all come up with.

Chickie & Bravo

Last Edited : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 05:41

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 10:02

I really like the idea - and I am going to pre-argue with any vets that have the same old objections to newbies with low level scores - Suck it up and play this game - if we recruit our own mercenaries, we are responsible for their actions or sudden 'inactivity'.

It's a great idea, Chickie and Bravo!

Count me in...

Jmac
D~S

zandrade24
Joined 4/05/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 12:16

i like the idea too!! count me in!! i like big camps!

... so sense my camp score is 354.. i need a negative player haha ?? haha im kiddnig , but like say me and sugar end up joining, sug score is 554, that means we would have a combined score of 908.. so we would have to sponser 4 "000" players just so the 2 of us can join??... and still be 1 point over :/

Last Edited : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 12:27

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 15:51

I think a 1-50 point leeway would be afforded to allow the likes of you and Sugar in, Zandrade... Not more than that though, otherwise you're talking about lop-sided fights again - we want every side to have problems. HEhe

vj121
Joined 9/04/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 16:45

I like this idea too, although it seems 150 point average may be a bit low. Most of the established clans are at 250+ camp average so instead of clan+merc, it might turn into a clan+newb game. It seems like ratings in general do not always reflect players' abilities.

How about each clan fielding a set of players (max 50-60% of total team) and picking the rest from a volunteer pool of mercs? Lowest average clan camp level could get first pick and so on.

zandrade24
Joined 4/05/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 19:03

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA!I LIKE THAT BETTER THAN THE AVRAGE CUZ WE WOULD STILL NEED 3 "00" PLAYERS AHAH ... AND YA! OUR POINTS MEAN NOTHIN! ....BEING FIRST DOESNT ALWAYS MEAN UR GOOD .. HAHA ...,, accualy , i think it does, cuz if it didnt than everyone would have high point levels, but not everyone does.. and to gain points you have to win somehow so you cant suck and have high point levels..... but anyway lets do it!!!

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 19:10

My question is about bringing in level 000 just to lower an average score. Won't that just more than likely make for more inactive players in the game? Why don't you make it open for anyone in a clan and randomly assign people to a new "clan team."

Hack & Slash Chickie
Joined 5/01/2004

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 19:53

Well Vj an example would be 150 level player sponsers a 50 level player the average would be 125. The 150 isn't concrete it was just a average it can go a lil either way. And ya I understand about the 0 level ppl but I am thinking of the newer players that you see all the time getting them involved would be the goal.

vj121
Joined 9/04/2007

Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2007 - 21:19

Hackie, this is a great idea for recruiting and teaching new players (please do work on your math skills though) Having said that, I've noticed that there are very few players level 001-149. I would agree with Coopels that having 000s would just lead to inactives.

My idea would be to have mercs "volunteer" by expressing interest and hopefully this extra step would eliminate the inactives. Clans would still be able to play as clans but would just have an extra 1-2 players to teach and coordinate with. And finally, giving higher picks to lower level clans would hopefully average out skills/levels.

Hack & Slash Chickie
Joined 5/01/2004

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 02:01

Ya about that lol sorry it's been a very long day my math is usually excelent. I understand what your saying and I am open to all the ideas I want it to work for all of us.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 11:09

Okay, I've done (some) math, and I think it is more reasonable to have a clan/mercenary combined Campaign level of between 250 and 300. This would account for the higher leveled players (unless all members fighting were 300 or higher, which is a silly prospect on the 20 player map if limiting this to 4 clan/mercenary teams of 5 each.)

Oh, sure, a BoS team consisting of Gala (397), Biscuit (460) and Renno (481) would have to field two players at level 80 or less, but then who is going to argue that those 3 would somehow be handicapped with that? I'd laugh in your face if you did.

Yes, Sugar (545) and Zandrade (354) would have to recruit 3 at level 200 or less, but once again, go whine to someone who is not quite awake yet about that terrible prospect.

Dog Soldiers could field any of our troops and still recruit high seeing as the highest campaign level in our clan is (uhem - mine at 305). I know you opponents aren't actually afraid of us, although you haven't faced our combined fury either. (hehe).

Anyways, I believe that limiting the combined level to 300 max. would be a reasonable idea, and would allow 1 or 2 of the newer clans to recruit higher ranking mercenaries to compensate for their lower overall level score.

Let's make this happen, for goodness sake. It's snowy and cold here in Wisconsin, I need something to do!!!!

P.S. A second idea would be to have us lower-tiered clans recruit 1 or 2 higher leveled Campaigners as mercenaries to try and get our combined scores as HIGH as possible:

ie: Bud Chevy, Chickie, Jmac PLUS Sugar and Renno!! Yes, perfect!!

LOL

Jmac
D~S

Last Edited : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 11:24

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 11:41

A Gala, Biscuit, and Renno team could totally sponsor two noobs, and then canabilize their castles for themselves.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 11:43

exactly...

The lower leveled clans would NEED to sponsor two fairly good campaigners to compensate for teams such as Gala, Renno and Biscuit or combinations similar.

Jmac
D~S

zandrade24
Joined 4/05/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 12:15

that would suck for the noobs hahah but o well , haha

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 12:48

Why would we even suggest to the new players to join such a campaign if arrogance would dictate that the Vets would simply attack their castles to gain the resource?

If that were to be the tact, this game would be just another campaign.

Jmac
D~S

BRAVO 872
Joined 11/10/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 13:32

i was playing a duel and trying to put together a post talking about how this idea came about

sadly I missed reading some of the new post...

i Joined : 11 OCT 2007

with 0 0 0 i think thats the way we all started

a bunch of big fat numbers doesn't make you better than anyone

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 13:52

campaign experience DOES make you better if you have a brain.

My campaign experience and level points are indicative of several things:

1) partially my actual strategic and tactical prowess.
2) partially my understanding and utilization of diplomacy.
3) partially a degree of random luck or bad luck.
4) partially my ability to consistantly log in and play the game.

There is no perfect ranking or scoring system, but I can tell you that SOME system is better than none, because it accurately reflects the skill level of your opponent in MOST cases.

The point that I am making is that we really SHOULD invite the lower or no points players to join a campaign that would be interesting and educational to them.

Problem is, beyond recruiting those players, not a lot of people are going to find and take the time to actually educate the newbies. I was just fortunate that Hosa took me under his wing when he did.

Jmac
D~S

Heat
Joined 16/10/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 14:29

I totally agree with Jmac' here.

I myself was fairly lucky to run in to Hosa in one of my first games. And was happy to have him show me the ropes, instead of 'just' pounding me like the other vets I ran into did.

I can easily state, that Hosa himself is the reason I still play this game. And am not ashamed to admit, one of my goals is to play as many newbs I can to help them thru the game, to pass this good will on.

I have myself noticed a rise in the 'active' population since I have started and am proud to note many of the newbs I helped out are the ones sticking around.

I am not that great of a player, and with friendly words I give them reason to enjoy this game; some of my students are even getting to the point where they will win the next rematch. Now if I had just pounded them without comment, just playing for thier points like so many do, only to lose them the next time I fight a real player, they may have not stuck around.

And lets face it, the campaigns are the addictive part of this game. If we can get the new players into campaigns they stand a chance in, they will be here for life.

So I do like this idea for getting "us" newbs into "Fun" camps.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 14:55

Bingo. Heat is precise in his comments. Without a one on one education, most new players don't ever make it into a campaign that they are willing or able to stay in - they just don't get it (Tutorial and all).

WOL is NOT user friendly, however (as a beta or otherwise).

The tutorial/online manual is NOT up to date and does not define things precisely. Beyond that, the only alternative for a new player is to hopefully get a chance to play a Hosa or Heat or Jmacattack (and others) who get as much out of showing them the ropes as they do in fighting and winning or losing a battle against one of "you" ruthless, cold-blooded veterans.

We need a training guild - a group of players committed to training the new players - and a procedure for insuring that we touch bases with those who are day 1, triple zero players - to say hello, tell them that we are here to help, and invite them into a battle to show them the ropes. I would even quit the game towards the end (if the player was sticking in there) to give him or her a few points and a boost in confidence (But then, I am an overly nice guy- really...)

Jmac
D~S

Hack & Slash Chickie
Joined 5/01/2004

Posted : Friday, 7 December 2007 - 15:56

Sounds great...but about the 20 player camp....Cooples is making a 40 player map now I just have to get Moggles to put it into play is all I think a 40 player map will be way batter.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   >>
Back To Clan Discussions   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.144531 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap