HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 02:19  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
<<   1 2 3 4   >>
AuthorTopic : Defensive strategies = Sitting Ducks?
Demosthenes
Joined 26/02/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - 15:28

Wow. You mustof had a pretty nasty upbringing to know the effects of a AK 47 at close range. It makes my upbringing look soft and cuddly. My life--

Demos mother- You must persue the wonders of knowledge, young neophyte. Now that you are 3, you can begin to learn.
Demos father- Yes, here is your algerbra book, and physics, and trig.
Demo- Goo go ga ga.
Dad- See, this is a variable.
Demo- *Drools, then claps in understanding*
Mom- Now he is ready for calculus! First, lets start with propositional calculus. See, if (P->Q)^(R->Q), you can use the sylogistic inference to prove (P^R)->Q. Now prove this using a demonstration outline.
Demo-*Brain fuses*

THE END

In Sixth grade, lifes not much better

Demosthenes
Joined 26/02/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - 15:37

Im slowly beginning to catch up to Mogs 16somethingthousand posts. If I keep working soon Ill be at the top of the popularity tree at waronline.

Jodocus
Joined 6/03/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - 16:21

Demo your in 7th grade, remember? Stop trying to make your self look good.

Last Edited : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 08:22

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - 16:54

Demosthenes, you have about 40 years of catching up with my sarcasm yet to go....I'm 50! However, I'm sure you will surpass me very shortly because you have the gift of blabmouth. And a wonderful gift it is, too. At a young age I discovered I had blabmouth and look at me now! I'm an astronaut, a brain surgeon and a part-time thrill-seeker. Women can't seem to get too little of me and my bank is laughing all the way to me. It's a sweet existence if you don't mind all the fur everywhere.

home.earthlink.net/~johnoco/MogPhotoAlbum.html

Just so you can see....

Maximillian
Joined 31/10/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - 21:47

Demosthenes, you should come up here. Then we can drink beer and play hockey and confuse our neighbours down south with our bilingualism while we spit on Bush and Iraq and missile defence that doesn't work!

Fanatic
Joined 12/01/2003

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 13:52

Could the general spam about the petty details of your personal lives be moved to some irrelevent thread in general chit chat? Thanks.

StCrispin
Joined 26/06/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 13:58

are u saying the general chat thread is useless and irrelevant?

It sounds like your implying it should be removed from WOL all together! Dear God!

(BTW I know the effects of the AK-74 not the 47. its the effects of having been us army infantry and then moving on to being intelligence on a attle staff for years and having to know lots of petty details)

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 14:56

Sooooo....defensive strategies. Are they sitting ducks after all? Many think so. Some disagree. Now back to the spam, since the topic seems to have petered out.

Corflu
Joined 22/08/2003

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 17:49

just close the thread. spam elsewhere please as Fanatic suggests.

StCrispin
Joined 26/06/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 18:11

defense in my opinion isnt useful unless your already in 1st place and you want to sit back and snipe (Balistize) the guys who come after you.

Balistize isnt a word but i thought it better than "shoot with Balista"

I like losing and coming in first anyway

Ghengis Khan
Joined 24/03/2003

Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2005 - 21:19

I will disagree, defensive strategies are as important as the offensive strats. I consider myself a defensive player. But there is a very big difference between hiding within your territory and playing defensively. But then I also believe that the best offence is a supperior defence. In almost every war I have won, I have started out on the defence. What I heard from Rog didn't sound like strategy to me it sounded more like the other players were hiding.

I don't know of any top players who don't use defence in their game. Two of Rogs major defences were forming a NAP with one player and an alliance with another. This gave him security on a couple of his borders while he was able to take advantage of a few fortitous situations. Many people forget that the politics is as much a part of the strategy as the plans for battle. He also showed defensive strat by luring his opponent's main force away from his true line of attack. In my oppinion a person is only truely offensive if they charge straight ahead without planning their moves. None of the top players are offensive. All of them are aggresive, but none of them will move their troops until they have considered the terrian and troop position.

I have played several people who were strictly offensive, only one of them lasted more than 15 turns against me. That was becuase he formed an aliance and I was being GBed from turn 5. Although I could only use a part of my troops against his attack, he lost three times the forces I did and never got close to my castle.

So no, defensive strategies do not equal sitting ducks, but sitting ducks do mean easy kills.

I haven't actually played the game for a few months now. But the last time I played it seemed like REQ was making changes that favored a player taking the defence and building walls to hide behind. It might be interesting when I come back to see the changes.

Demosthenes
Joined 26/02/2005

Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2005 - 06:57

As the famous mideval general Fortiniosu once said, the best way to attack is to move long, procetected lines foward under heavy long- range unit cover. Long supply lines should be well protected, and a strong reverse gaurd made to defend them. Then, when you find an enemy, stop all troop movement, and begin to fortify yourself into on main line with two flanks of archers. Send the supply lines away, and move the reargaurd to the frond. Then wait until your enemy attacks. Then, you have a defensive advantage, but your troops are still expanding your kingdom. I try to expand my armies very slow, so new armies from the barracks can easily catch up to the front. I only move the front line 5 spots. I could be completly wrong about this, I've only been on waronlnie for about 15 days now, but hey, it works.

Fanatic
Joined 12/01/2003

Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2005 - 13:13

No Crisp, all I am saying is that if you are going to spam, do it in general where it is 'acceptable' to discuss anything and everything since you can create a topic on anything you want. And then I and others can more easily filter out the stuff we have no interest in (e.g, personally I filter out about 90% of the general chit chat forum).

Demo what you describe very much entails what I mean when I said earlier a defensive strategy is not the same as defensive positioning.

As for defensive strategies = sitting ducks or not, guess it depends on your definition of a defensive strategy. For me that is waiting around in your land until the enemy comes to attack you. No good player (as GK points out) does that. They are always actively working towards some end to move against an opponent in a position that is favorable to them.

Deleted PlayerPosted : Thursday, 17 March 2005 - 13:34

Hey everybody I'm new. What's up? I noticed the topic of this thread has gone a bit... astray, but I was just wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I've always been a defensive strategist in any strategy game, so is the title of this thread true? Does a defensive strategy get you slaughtered?

Demosthenes
Joined 26/02/2005

Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2005 - 16:43

Finally, a person with half a brain about strategy on this website. I know this would be tough to program, but I think the campains would be a lot more fun if your units ran out of supplies over time. Then, you need units that "refuel" units. Then, you could use strategies like attacking supply convoys to make the front lines run out of supplies. And, sitting in your base and doing nothing is not the same as being defenseive. Zephyr, a good stategist is a defensive stategis, as far is ive been concerned. Hey, you and I are both new, so we can be new together! *Smiles*

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2005 - 23:44

Ive managed quite well useing mainly defensive tactics, Zephyr, but you need to know when to attack and when not to

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 18 March 2005 - 04:03

I have seen a player build triple walls around his/her entire area and wait until the last 20 turns to move out and attack. He or she came in in the top 10 of 40 players. Other players were exhausted and easy prey. So in that case, a defense allowed him/her to build a formidable army for "later".

Demosthenes
Joined 26/02/2005

Posted : Friday, 18 March 2005 - 06:37

Thats not exactly a defensive strategy. Its more of stocking up for a battle, and then attacking. Its smart, but not a "battle" tactic.

Maximillian
Joined 31/10/2004

Posted : Friday, 18 March 2005 - 07:50

I've seen players who have come in the top ranking and who don't attack anyone. They fortify their position, and wait until some idiot (namely, me) decides to attack them. They slaughter the assualting troops with mainly ranged units, and get huge amounts of experience without any being lost.

Corflu
Joined 22/08/2003

Posted : Friday, 18 March 2005 - 15:48

I guess that begs the question, why attack them? To give them points? Maybe send a 5 pop scout to look or something but why give more?

If they are not attacking, then let them sit there and get no points and let their defensive strategy work all the way to last place. Feeding it seems like the wrong way to reward that tactic. You just go attack the other guys and get points.

<<   1 2 3 4   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.170898 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap