HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 00:18  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Notice Board   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Notice Board
1 2 3   >>
AuthorTopic : New Flash Map
Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 01:51

The map interface has been replaced by a FLASH based map.
Due to bandwidth problems using the large image files, I''ve had to switch to a Flash5 based map interface.

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 01:55

I know this means those of you without Flash installed will now need to install it in order to play, but once you see the new map I think you''ll find it''s worth it.

The new map is faster, and easier to use.
It also gives you more information and better features.

It also allows for much better graphics and the introduction of sound in the future.

If you are unable to use Flash at all for whatever reason, please contact me to see what we can do.

desoto
Joined 2/05/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 03:58

map seems to work fine for some things - I can move, attack etc...but it is only showing certain features of surrounding players...a few farms or a market place where I know there are more buildings. for example...when I look for a player to get the grid ref...then go to that grid ref...it doesn''t show me his castle but just the terrain. Anyone else got this problem ?

Crusaeder
Joined 10/08/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 08:26

I cannot change the grid referance at all , cannot move my map view at all . Stuck looking at less than half of my kingdom . Makes things kind of difficult .
What I can see looks good tho'' .

Ezikiel
Joined 2/01/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 09:38

Crusaedar, to move the map you have to know some coords or move a bit at a time... in the menu on the bottom right there is the coords of where you have clicked. to get a view centered on where you have clicked, click go in the bottom menu.

Ethereal
Joined 4/10/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 10:44

Incredible upgrade. The new map design seems a lot better but do you think of implementing the right frame into the flash interface?

Proteus [R]
Joined 26/12/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 11:16

To MOVE the map its a simple Click/Drag.
Hold down the mouse button and move the map around.
Or use the Arrow keys.
U can also do this while zoomed out.

I''ve added a little ? help button to the map controls.
U may need to refresh your map frame.

The map has changed in that you can no longer see outside a certain radius of your buildings/armies.
A bit like a "fog-of-war". To see more of your enemies, you need to either build more outposts to expand your empire, or send troops to the area u wish to spy on.

Outposts can see in a 12sqr radius, armies can see in an 8sqr radius.

MonkeyMan
Joined 2/07/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 15:03

Dear lord its going to be impossible to prepare for an unexpected assault.

Tom Dark Lord
Joined 29/05/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 18:03

I think it sux and the old one was better.

Proteus [R]
Joined 26/12/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 18:06

not necessarily.
but thats also part of the strategy now.
u need to expand to see around you.
keep in mind your enemies cant see either, so you could use that to your advantage by sending in decoys, etc.

its a different strategy from the past, but having a fog-of-war type scenario has always been my intention.

Muff Daddy
Joined 25/10/2000

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 19:03

With the addition of this fog of war, I think the total build point limits need to be removed, there is no way you can have any defence cuz you cant build that many outposts..

btw
map looks spectacular compared to before

weasel
Joined 14/06/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 21:39

I love it! All great war games have the fog of war feature so this brings the game up several notches.

However, I sould be able to see what my clansmen are doing.
Could that feature be added? If I want them to protect my right flank, should they not be able to SEE my right flank?
Just a though.

I can''t believe that after so many years I could actually have fun playing "hide & seek" again! (albeit electronically)

unsure
Joined 19/06/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 22:09

hey i cant build any more stuff. why is that? i have open area but cant make buildings.

Nebula
Joined 12/06/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2001 - 23:15

Hi,
there''s a problem, it don''t want to refresh.
I''m trying to find my ennemys with scouts but my movement don''t show up on the map and the movement points are used.
And, yeah, I''m pushing the refresh button frequently.

Ethereal
Joined 4/10/2000

Posted : Thursday, 19 July 2001 - 01:25

Suggestion:Could you put the fog of war into some kind of black area? It''s can be really confusing to see land but with nothing in it since you don''t really know if it''s truly empty or not.

Rogue
Joined 28/11/2000

Posted : Thursday, 19 July 2001 - 12:09

Well Ethereal its just like looking at a military map- it tells you the terrain. You have to develop and plot the opposition based on intelligence gained thru reports from troops.

Muff Daddy
Joined 25/10/2000

Posted : Thursday, 19 July 2001 - 15:26

I agree with rouge, id like to be albe to see where snow is so i can plan attacks, is its solid snow to the west, then i dont have to defend it..

Proteus [R]
Joined 26/12/2000

Posted : Thursday, 19 July 2001 - 15:37

yea, it would either be a flat terrain map, or flat black.
Although Flash "could" do a semi-trasparent black fog it would make everything VERY slow due to the size of the map and that Flash draws the screen dynamically.

Even the Outpost border pop-ups slowed things down dramatically when I made them semi-transparent. Thats why they are flat yellow/black outlines now instead.

so its one or the other. unless i can find a way to do it without using transparancy.

Ethereal
Joined 4/10/2000

Posted : Friday, 20 July 2001 - 04:38

Well, we could put a "sphere of influence" instead. People just need to know what is the radius of their "sighting units", it could be like black circles around their zones....

Or put the flat black AND replace the "view map" with just the terrain map(i.e. show only the terrain and personnal start-up position).It''s really stupid to see all the buildings of the enemies/allies there.

So you could get the black fog of war in the game map and if you need to check the terrain you could click on "view map". My personnal guess is that is the best solution...

Proteus [R]
Joined 26/12/2000

Posted : Friday, 20 July 2001 - 15:50

the other thing was, i was thinking of adding the closest 5-10 player bases to the map so you know where your neighbours are, even if you dont have an army/outpost nearby.

of course, if i use the Black system, you wont be able to see that.

so which to do? i dunno. thoughts?

1 2 3   >>
Back To Notice Board   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.160034 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap