HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.8 MAY 2024 03:25  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2 3   >>
AuthorTopic : How to win a clan game
savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 16:09

I'd recommend this to anyone that's new to clan games or doesn't feel comfortable with their performance in clan games.

To begin with communication is a highly important! On turn 0 you must communicate with all your clan mates on where you are so that you can know who is next to you so that your clan may make plans on how to win this game.

Once all 5 players have reported their possition the leader or all 5 clan members MUST agree on a plan of action. Most high ranked clans have found it usefull to download the mapeditor so that you may see exactly where every resource pile is located and what the best movment routes are between castles.

General topics that will be referred to in this document:
(1) Troop Production
Troop Production is everything. Second is troop tech as it WILL get more important the longer the game goes. Don't tech up if it means you won't be able to deploy every troop, unless you are providing support.

(2) Gold
Gold is the most important resource. Don't upgrade your resource buildings in any circumstances. It's not worth the early gold. If you do, you'll be able to deploy less troops and your resource buildings will actually be less safe. Look at how much gold and time it takes for a gold mine to be useful:
Upgrade-2500 gold for an extra 250 gold per turn. 10 turns must pass before the upgrade becomes usful. Always get your gold mine first, and your gold piles. Don't worry about the rest as much. Without marketplaces, the rest of the resources are seriously devauled. You'll get all the other resources you need from the piles. So take them at your leisure (if you have better things to do.)

(3) Marketplaces
Marketplaces are a highly debatable issue. They do cost too much resources early on in the game, however if you don't build one then you will not be able to get the advanced taxes tech.

Negative:
If you're got the gold go ahead and build them and get tax reform. But if you've got that much gold you're probably either got a lot of troops sitting in your barracks or your clan already has the upper hand. Later in the game this changes of course. But the key again is to get as many troops as you possibly can. If your opponent builds a Marketplace he's basically given you his castle.

Possitive:
Building a market in key locations can act like a hugh wall. It also allows you to research advanced taxes which can be obtained by turn 6. (explained below) Having advanced taxes does give you an extra 1000 gold and in most senarios that gold will meen extra troops.
To get 3000+ gold per turn:
*TAXES-MOVE OUT TO TAKE GOLD MINE/PILES/GOLD PILES
*MILLITARY-BUILD MILLITARY ACADAMY
*COMMERCE-BUILD MARKET
*YOU SHOULD HAVE 5000 GOLD BY THIS TIME VIA 1 GOLD MINE=500 AND CASTLE INCOME=2000
*AT 6000 GOLD BUY ADVANCED TAXES-USUALY AROUND TURN 5-6

(4) Troop speed vs. Balanced Troops.
Most will think that all scouts were the way to go when rushing because they get to the target faster. However, your enemy will soon be making spears in mass, so balanced is usually the way to go. There are some exceptions though. If you're trying to help one of your clanmates in a rush then speed IS the most important. Make some scouts and while they are getting to their destination make the slower troops. In general if you're fighting one on one always go balanced. If you're double teaming, scouts early would be good, but you'll likely need to switch soon.

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 16:11

(5) Stack Size
There is a trick that the great clan BoS used that most would not have figured it out. Say you're producing the same thing in two (or three) of your barracks. Instead of getting two good sized stacks and heading out seperately, make 2 smaller stacks, depart, and combine them on the way. If you're attacking someone that's fairly far away you won't even lose any speed. The BoS used this with their initial troops in the barracks, for example suppose you deploy 13 scouts at each barrack on turn 11, turn 12 move one scout to a point where it still has 90%BP, move the other scout next to the first scout. select a scout and transfer all of the scouts to 1 stack. On turn 13 you now have 1 stack of 26 scouts with full movment points and bp. This is very useful for early rushes.

6) Troop Techs
Advanced troops or basic? Really, it all depends on troop production, unless you're preparing for a seige. Maximize your production and put your pressure on the enemy and he won't be able to advance his troops before you can. When you have the spare gold, do so of course.

Now dependant on where you are in the map it is likly you will receive one of these orders:

Rush someone (with or without help).
Prepare for a seige (if the group/leader thinks two people may be attacking you).
To support someone else (if you're behind the front lines).

------------------------------------------------------------
Rush someone:

Most will think there was just ONE kind of rushing, but resent research has since shown there are actually two. The All-out rush, and the one on one.

The ALL-OUT Rush (with aid)
You do this kind of rush when you're attacking one player with someone else. Usually either a double or a triple team.

To acomplish this it's important to take all of your starting troops including a stack of commandeers or two and get them to the target castle as quickly as possible! Your starting force can take resource piles on the way, just don't stop moving forward. After they depart for the castle deploy a stack of 5 of everything inside your barracks, preferably scouts. on the following turn those 5 units should have 100% battle points and full movment points. From here it is your chiose on which troop type would be the best for you to continue with, wether it is scouts to quickly catch up to the enemy, or spearsmen/swordsmen to stay at the castle to help clean up the piles of resources around you and scout your boarders, to extra commandeers in case you loose your other stack(s) in the rush.

To stay in the game economicly while rushing some would recommed focusing only on the gold early, via taxes and the goldmine.

To do this have the smaller troop stacks that you resently deploied move around near your castle collecting all piles starting from those that are furthest and then working back in to your castle. Taking the mines around the castle is ideal, but not nessary for the first 3 or 4 turns seeing how the resource piles will be ofsetting any kind of gain you would normally receive.

Drawbacks to this kind of rush will be a slow economy that won't become stable until around turn 10 and a possibility that your entire starting force could be lost. If you do lose everything, communicate with your fellow clan mates on the next best opption to keep you in the game.

The One-on-One Rush
Often against good clans you'll find yourself in one-on-one situations early. In these situations it's still important to rush your target (usually to keep them from thinking of doubling someone else, or letting them build up/tech up). A seige should be the last thing you should do.

Your job is to get the advantage in the open field (either by taking key resources or killing more troops) and then take the fight near to thier castle. To do this you will need to maximize troop production and play conservatively.

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 16:12

To play conservatively;
*engaging the enemy when you have the advantage (focus on the unit types and numbers).
*taking resource buildings (if you can)
*staying away from a seige unless you have a large advantage VIA another clan mate helps you or they only have 1 barrack/1 resource building(includes a market)/large stacks of commandeers sitting in the open.

To maximize troop production:
*Build a 3rd barracks quickly, explained below.
*obtain the tech Advanced Training

Getting your 3rd barracks up fast it is a top priority second only to getting the taxes tech. Where to build the barracks is up to you, however by building inside your own castle you can easily change your tactics to seige mode should things go sour(rushed).

By obtaining the techs in the following order you should be able to have a 3rd barracks up by the end of turn 3:
*TAXES
*MILLITARY, BUILD MILLITARY ACADAMY
*BUILD BARRACKS VIA 2 COMMANDEER STACKS

To disrupt the enemy's resource gathering and keep their focus on you and not someone else, sending your starting troops out toward them is advisable, but you can leave your archers or one of the other stacks behind. Once your troops get close to the enemy castle they should start picking off any resource gatherers like commandeers or scouts.

The Seige -- Defending Against a Possible Double/Triple
If you're preparing for a seige you need to get your third barracks up as quick as you can and get a good economy going. Create some pop 5 scouts and move the away from your castle for about 2-3 turns so you can get advance warning of where an attack is coming from, but don't create any other forces until you see the enemy coming (or get new orders, such as attacking someone).

You'll need all of your gold to get your techs and barracks up as quick as you can. Focusing on getting your barracks and advanced trainging first. If you go straight for your gold piles and gold mine you can easily get your 3rd barrack up by the end of turn 3 and advanced taxes by turn 9. Use your starting troops to get all the gold and gem piles in the area. Then start looking for your closest unfriendly neighbor's gold and gem piles (until you're under attack). Gold is everything. Tech up your troops if you can (but make sure you can deploy them all when the double-team does get there). Archers/Arbelestiers are your best friend in this situation.

The placement of buildings is highly special in helping you stay alive. Placing your 3rd barrack against your castle wall, corner preferable, will not only create a second wall, but also a quick tower that your ranged units can get an easy +1 to ranged. Building your trainging guild in the door way of your castle provides a quick drawbridge and a place to quickly lvl up you troops between battles. Building the millitary acadamy in the other door way creates another cheap wall that most players would hate to tear down due to it's ability to give the owner and extra 5 stacks to his/her army. Building your blacksmith in front of one of your towers will help protect any ranged units that you place in the tower, usually Arbelestiers. Building the market against another section of wall creates another second wall that will help prevent people from tearing down your wooden wall to gain entry.

In most sieges the enemy will try to gain entry through your walls seeing how each stack could easily do 250 damage and the wall can only withstand 4 attacks before it falls. If they do manage to breach you walls place units just inside the breach so that if a player tries to move a unit into your castle they will end up next to 2-3 stacks of units.

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 16:13

If you happen to have a fellow clan mate in the area send one of your commandeers into his/her area. Once your castle is under siege the enemy will target your resource buildings in an atempt to cripple your economy, however if you have a commandeer in friendly territory you can have your clan mate claer out some resource buildings for you so that you will always have the needed resources.

Providing support
This isn't really all that difficult. Troop production and communication with the player(s) you are supporting are the keys.

The person providing support can produce only scouts to get there faster, while the person under seige can produce the other kinds of rock, paper, and/or ranged. You have the luxury of focusing on your economy more in this style than the rushes, but don't go over board and don't violate any of the rules above and you should be fine.

If you keep these things in mind and you'll get off to a good start.

Other Ideas:

4 Catapults can be deploied by turn 10-12 and if the player uses them right 20 catapults can distroy the enemy barracks with in 2 turns crippling that player for the rest of the game.

If you find the enemy massing south of your castle and it takes a turn just move your troops to get outside your castle and past your walls, consider distroying the southern corner wall. Now it will take but 3-5 movement points to exit your castle, hence faster re-enforcments.

By Savetuba

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 16:19

I already submitted this to waronliner.

this comes from my several clan games, chat with other clanmates/players, as well as some unknown submissions from some of the larger clans.

Kingmen
Joined 23/07/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 30 November 2004 - 20:37

Nice, Very Nice!!

and r topic was good 2!!

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 3 December 2004 - 07:50

Nice, savetuba!

DoRW Empirez
Joined 17/09/2001

Posted : Friday, 3 December 2004 - 16:32

and the #1 rule of thumb on winning clan battles.

Make sure your not facing FSA. (unless you ARE Fsa)

Rog Ironfist
Joined 8/04/2003

Posted : Friday, 3 December 2004 - 16:49

There are exceptions to every rule DoRW!

DoRW Empirez
Joined 17/09/2001

Posted : Friday, 3 December 2004 - 21:43

*grin* well rog have the brotherhood of Aluminum challenge us! (this is playful teasing i have several frends in BoS)

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Friday, 3 December 2004 - 23:26

no spamming! I left this open in case I missed something or if someone had a question about it. Spam gain and I'll close this.

Wait a MINute I did forget something!

Corflu
Joined 22/08/2003

Posted : Saturday, 22 January 2005 - 11:48

Let me just say that if you use the strategy suggested of

"Other Ideas: 4 Catapults can be deploied by turn 10-12 and if the player uses them right 20 catapults can distroy the enemy barracks with in 2 turns crippling that player for the rest of the game."

I hope you build them and use them in my clan game. Because that is genrally a losing strategy to build catapults that early if at all.

Some good ideas above, but some I would not choose. I would not take what is above as any kind of 'bible', but there are some good thoughts that are different from how you play a regular game for those that do not change tactics.

Crovax
Joined 7/01/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 25 January 2005 - 02:00

While this is a good set of suggestions particularly for those who are new to Clan games, I agree with Corflu. There are many suggestions here that I and other FSA members think differently on. But then again what do we know.

Course now the trick is figuring which ones we follow and don't... but now out of spite i'm going to have to kill Corflu with catapults

cardfan_stl
Joined 25/10/2003

Posted : Saturday, 19 February 2005 - 23:52

Actually savetuba, is is nearly all mine and nearly word or word taken right out of the CoC clan forum (I think it all is except for the end where you start talking about cats).

I've rethought some things of this, and don't stand by parts of it now, but I must say that first of all I'm pissed as hell that you would take credit for something I wrote and even go so for as to post it on these forums as well as submitting it to waronliner.

I never had a problem with you and even sympathized with you when you publically said you felt you were given an unfair shake from something you did in the past.

I was wrong.

Card

cardfan_stl
Joined 25/10/2003

Posted : Sunday, 20 February 2005 - 00:01

After looking at it again I see that savetuba has added some of his own (I guess) thoughts in other places as well. However, the overall structure, main arguments and wording (in a lot of places) is the same as my orginal article. It looks like a cut and paste with some of his thoughts interjected.

Card

Last Edited : Sunday, 20 February 2005 - 00:03

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Sunday, 20 February 2005 - 23:11

*shakes head sadly*

savetuba...

www.futurehobo.com/notsavetuba.JPG

ok, I feel better now.

kingrichard
Joined 13/11/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 February 2005 - 04:06

hmm it is not savetuba.is it you sage?

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 February 2005 - 11:12

Oh, the name...I got the picture from savetuba's website and put it up on mine. I named it savetuba.JPG. Savetuba got angry and removed the picture from his website and asked nicely for me to get rid of it. Instead of deleting it, I changed the name to 'notsavetuba.JPG' because I figured I might have a use for it someday.

Kingmen
Joined 23/07/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 February 2005 - 12:52

be nice sage6 he did ask u not to use it.

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 February 2005 - 13:10

and cardfan sorta implied that he didn't want ST to steal his intellectual property and pass it off as his own...

1 2 3   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.153320 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap