HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.1 MAY 2024 19:13  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (3)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2 3   >>
AuthorTopic : Wk 1, Lec 2 - "Ranged Troops"
CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 15:48

As regards most troops, if you're not using melee troops (which usually work with the rock-paper-scissors system), then you'll be using ranged troops instead. Flying troops are not part of the main campaigns yet, so we'll leave them for now. Your choice of troops is generally 'r-p-s' troops or ranged (or a mix).

A few things are common to most/all ranged troops. First, you can attack from a distance (obviously :-) ).
Second, if you shoot melee troops or ranged troops who aren't in range of you, you get 'free shots' (explained below).
Third, a hand-to-hand/melee/ close combat attack has a very bad effect on most ranged troops.
Fourth, they have generally lower health than their melee counterparts.
Fifth, less damage is done the further out they attack. Shooting a target right next to you is more effective than firing at one that is on the edge of your range! :-)
Finally, they generally have a 'shadow' so you can see what they can hit from where they're currently at.

There are 4 standard troop types for this group.

Archers: the 'basic' troop. Archers have a decent range, but like all basic troops, need high numbers to be effective and have no bonus. Effective in the early game, but a liability later.

Arbelestiers: the 'advanced' troop. Have the shortest range, but one other useful feature - they also do standard damage in melee combat. In other words, it's not such a big deal if they get outflanked and hit.

Ballista: the 'expert' troop. They have the longest range of all the troops - but it's worth noting they can't always see as far as they can fire - so you may need to scout ahead a little first by sending a troop or two in front.
They also have two bonuses - one is a resistance to other ranged attacks (only 50% damage suffered), the other is a damage bonus that is based on the size of the stack you attack (bigger is better!). Quite deadly against less 'advanced' troops.
Finally, the slowest of the ranged troops. Bear this in mind if you think you may need to retreat later!

Marksmen: the 'master' troop. Also the only troop not to suffer any penalties for firing at long range.

Factor in the following - the more 'advanced' a troop is, the fewer you can train, the more health/damage each one population point does - the more you get for killing them, and the higher their intrinsic 'skill'. 'Skill' gives bonuses of extra/reduced damage when applied in attacking/defending against another unit. It will be covered later...just note that for now you can get a few more % protection/damage for it!

As already mentioned, ranged troops suffer a huge penalty in attack AND defence if fighting close up. The combined effect of bonus/penalty is such that the attacker is FOUR TIMES more efective than you are...!
Even if you do get attacked in this way, don't just shoot back - take a step away first, or you'll suffer under this rule!

The 'free shot'. As you probably know by now (unless you've not attacked anyone yet), when you fight close-up both units take damage (assuming the other guy has not counter-attacked too much already!). Even large, powerful units will eventually be worn down by this.
However, say I decide to shoot your 'scouts' with 'marksmen' instead of using 'pikemen'. The 'scouts' will not get the chance to do damage in return - they will only suffer. The effect is that you get to attack someone - at no cost to yourself. Hence the term 'free shot'.
Clearly, when two balanced armies fight, a side that gets many 'free shots' will have a clear advantage. When in combat, being able to kill these ranged units is a TOP priority, and it's worth retreating a little if you can't get them straight away - you do yourself no favours by giving your opponent more 'free shots'!

(cont.)

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 16:00

Use of ranged troops:
------------------------------------------------------------
The first way you could use these troops is to have ONLY ranged troops. However, that leaves you open to melee attack. The other extreme is to not use them at all - but then you get no 'free shots', and you'll probably be taking casualties before you even get to attack. So, the best policy is a mix - as many melee troops as you need to protect the ranged troops. Don't forget you can also use terrain to cover the approaches as your army marches through the wilderness - it'll save you from needing so many melee troops.

Again - the priority troop to kill in ANY combat are the ranged troops. They're the ONLY ones that can do damage without being hit back.

Choice of troops:
------------------------------------------------------------

What you MUSTN'T do is pick some of everything. It's much better to choose one type of ranged troop and make full use of it's advantage. Ballista are excellent in sieges, because they keep the enemy back. Arbs even have a use in 'Ultra' games, because after all, you can't be sure someone won't attack them with melee troops in the night!

At the same time, be aware of the weaknesses of the troops you pick. If you have a lot of archers, stay WELL clear of the more advanced ranged troops unless you wish to be massacred! And again, if they aren't arbs, they need guarding from melee troops....

There's one notable exception to the four units. The catapult - the fifth. It's not a true ranged unit - it's designed to destroy buildings. If you attack units with it, the damage is GREATLY reduced. Also note it has no 'shadow'...so you'll have to count 'squares' yourself :-)

We won't go any further into catapults though...'siege' troops ar reserved for the next lecture - on the 'Max Damage' system.

Following will be the specific stats, data and rules for this lecture....

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 16:14

Online Manual:

"Ranged Characters
If any army of ranged Character type (AttackType 4-5) gets involved in melee combat, then that army takes a severe damage penalty. eg. If Archers try to attack any army in melee combat (1 sqr away), then the Archers army will only end up doing 50% damage while the enemy army would inflict 200% damage. This is also the case when defending in melee combat."

Bonuses when inside buildings:

Outpost = +1 range bonus
Barracks = +1 range bonus
Towers = +3 range bonus

Troop ranges:

Archers have: range 6
Arbs have: range 4
Ballista have: range 9
Marksmen have: range 8

Catapults have: range 7

WARNING:

Squires have 50% ranged defence.
Ballista have 50% ranged defence.
Battering Rams have 50% ranged defence.
Catapults have 50% ranged defence.

Dev. News December 2001. Don't know if this is still the case:

"Altered range penalties for all ranged troops. At 2-3 = 100%, 4 = 90%, 5 = 80%, 6-7 = 70%, 8 = 60%"

If anything has been missed, I'm sure the other players will post it up here. But this is just about everything I know on the subject of ranged troops without getting into specific tactics :-)

Mal Kavian
Joined 5/09/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 16:51

Well covered.

One MINOR tweak...
"They're the ONLY ones that can do damage without being hit back."...

*cough* Knights *cough*

Apart from that, I think everything is in order..
Very informative..

Thankyou

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 19:48

are we sure that the +1 apply to the ranged inside of a barracks?

also if you are using arbs to a extreem then put some into the towers in your castle, they not only get the +3 to ranged, but is someone come knoking at your door, you don't have to worry about the 50% damage thing...

Iceman13
Joined 24/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 20:04

savetuba, good idea!

But does anyone ever use the Arbs? I have not trained one in this new version. Typically, I go straight from archers to the higher level ranged troops.

*Holds up hand*

Uh... Mr. CTD...

Care to share some of your 'specific tactics'?

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 20:19

Actual tactics are an advanced topic. We'll get there in a few weeks :-)
As for the arbs...this next day will either prove or disprove that theory - I've just charged at a bunch of marksmen and proceeded to puch their lights out at close range :-)
If my opponent does start moving again, then yes - I've had it :-)

Also, I'm fairly sure about the barracks, I believe I saw it not so long ago. I'll add an edit to confirm it next time I put a ranged unit out, if someone else doesn't first...

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2003 - 23:34

Yes, CTD, you're right, +1 added to the range for being in/on the barracks.

firstknight
Joined 3/09/2001

Posted : Friday, 14 February 2003 - 09:23

yes a +1 in the attack but it seem u dont get the +1 on defence. i think it a bug. i know towers where fixed not long ago

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Friday, 14 February 2003 - 09:35

The range bonus only counts on attacks, not on retals.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Friday, 14 February 2003 - 09:58

Also true. Methinks Req needs to review the retal code :-)

firstknight
Joined 3/09/2001

Posted : Friday, 14 February 2003 - 10:17

well i beleive that the +1 bonus is for attacks and counters, it is for towers! but its just not working that way now. that why i called it a bug. but sugar may be right. i think we need req for this one.

BigAmigo
Joined 15/10/2001

Posted : Friday, 14 February 2003 - 23:37

Yes, the retal bug on modifiers has been fixed according to req, though I have not used it yet.

A few injecture notes to your lecture if I may.

The value of ranges units can not be over stated. They are a MUST, no matter the offense or defense you are using. They are the 1 unit that can survive a battle for many many turns and in most cases will own the majority of your kills. Though a castle CAN be taken without them, it is much easier with them. When it comes to defense their value is even greater as you get the "free shot" on any troop in range.

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Sunday, 16 February 2003 - 09:21

very well put, Amigo. I completely agree IMO a player without ranged troops is going to need some GREAT strategy to overcome those disadvantages of not having the free shot and all

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Thursday, 10 April 2003 - 21:01

Update: Even though melee is now finally 'flavour of the month', that's not to say ranged are out of it totally. Shooting an attackers comms and catapults can stop an invasion dead in it's tracks. And I recently found out that towers give +40 skill both attack and defence to anything in them...that's A LOT of levelling-up without doing the fighting

Use them like special ops. A tool for certain cases

tarim
Joined 18/10/2002

Posted : Saturday, 9 August 2003 - 22:08

Listen to toolboy,he speaks the truth.

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 26 August 2003 - 03:01

For Ranged:

Basically there are 5 stages to the attack sequence (the sequence the game does it might not be the same but the steps are) and we're assuming that the stack is within range.

[1]
First the raw damage to be inflicted is calculated as it is the melee step [1].

[2]
The attack modifier is calculated as step [2] of melee attack.

[3]
Special modifier are taken into account. Like the Ballista 2% stack modifier.
Also the troop of the day modifier will go here.

[4]
The range modifier is taken into account for all stacks. There are two exceptions, Marksman are not affected by range, but are by melee, and Arbelestiers are affected by range, but not by melee. The rest (Archers and Ballistas) are affected by range and melee.
Basically if the range is 1 then the stack is attacking melee and there is a 70% attack penalty.
If the range is 2 to 3 there is 0% attack penalty.
Then every additional hex of distance (of course up to maximum range) there is a 5% attack penalty addition. So for an attack of range 7 there is an attack penalty of 20%

[5]
The net damage is calculated by multipliying the raw damage by the RSP modifier plus the attack range penalty and then adding the raw damage.

The number of troops that die is the division of the net damage over the defenders Hit Points (HP).

Experience if calculated by multiplying the number of troops that died by that stack experience divided by half.

Retaliation is done the same way but now the defenders becomes the attacker and the attacker becomes the defender, taking into account the ability of the defender to defend itself, that is not being attacked by Knights, and having enough Defense Points (DP%), and being within the range of the stack.

*Boris
Joined 29/10/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 26 August 2003 - 11:59

For ranged troops... Bad idea is low damage for this units.

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 7 October 2003 - 16:58

*Another to the top of the stack*

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Friday, 31 October 2003 - 09:12

Ting!

1 2 3   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.171875 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap