HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.23 APR 2024 17:58  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Question Corner
<<   1 2        
AuthorTopic : Unexpected Change in Turn Time (closed)
huliojordio DoC
Joined 3/03/2003

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 12:57

You'd think living in New Zealand at the moment, not 4 hours from Aussie, would mean my game ticks over at a reasonable hour... But no00000, has to be 02:00 for me Handy if i was an alcoholic and got in from the pub at that time every night tho :S
Admittedly WoL does sometimes make we wanna turn to the booze!

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 13:00

It's interesting how Neb's interesting choice of words caused another rise from "Lumpy";
So because he has such a low opinion of my playing skills and seems to think his are great, I'm going to elaborate on Neb's interesting choice of words.

The frequency of this *"double move"* or simultaneous attack from "Lumpy" leaves it difficult to believe that he's not *"purposely timing"* it, especialy because he's the only player with whom I've experienced the prpblem;
So I'm going to call it like I see it and it's that the playing skills of "Lumpy" are more as he has described my playing skills and they might be better if he'd stop trying to exploit a flaw in the game.

PS:
That's right folks, imho that "double move"/hit circumstance is a flaw in the game and we should treat it as such ...
it seems to me that it could have been stopped somehow from occurring even if it amounted to a line of programming specifically intended to block it from occurring until a respectable amount of time passed which of course isn't going to happen now.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 13:05

Trotsky
Joined 13/07/2009

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 14:31

Lod. I'm not whining about anything. Of course you are correct in that if you play rigidly to start of turn , no one can double move you. So, to my question , which you evidently misunderstood , was a question about how late you can move in one cycle before you move w/ the turnover in the next cycle . I've moved a unit late in the afternoon , and then I'm able to move that same unit early the next morning. So, normally I'm up about 8 A.M. here , which would be 24 hours since my last turn. Sometimes I'm up around 5 A.M. , and after deciding to stay up , I'll turn on the game , and around 6 or 7 I can move my units, even though the gold payoff hasn't kicked in yet. Now , if I was to play this regularly , 1 @ 8 A.M, then 1 @ 6A.M. , and then again at 6 A.m. , I'd be moving slightly faster over that set time period against someone going strictly with turnover at my time of 7 A.M., effectively getting a 3 to 2 movement advantage. So, have I run into an occasional aberration, or is it something else ? If it was a strict every 24 hrs. you can move , I'd have no question. But that rigid every 12 hours does not seem to be the case.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 15:46

Trotsky,
your post is making my head spin.

Anyway (not @ you Trotsky), but there's another interesting scenario, that is, work all week and take one's turn accordingly and then instead of sleeping a little late like any normal human being on a Saturday morning, get up 7:30 am est to take one's turn in a wol game as early as possible.

Is it just to get it done and out of the way or is it to deliberately beat your opponent to his move after you've already made one move before him?

rex

Trotsky
Joined 13/07/2009

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 18:04

@ Taurus - I know I'm not getting across w/ this , but there seems to be no "normal" time like in an I go - You go type of game. That's the norm for most boardgame types of wargames. An interesting development in that area was the use of " impulses " rather than turns . The mechanics of the ' impulses " being determined by the design of the game. Design mechanics could entail cards, random chits , or triggers from some player action. Getting back to WOL , I feel like I'm seeing some of the same sort of game mechanics akin to the aforementioned by the use of variable start time abilities ( troop movement every 22 hours, or is it 24 )? A continuous use of an every 22 hr. start time against a player using a 24 hr. plus start time could turn out to be quite devastating. In war-boardgaming, the ability to plan out a series of double impulses would often win the game. WOL is a hex and counter game on the computer. WOL is the first and only wargame I've played on the computer. When I used to play a lot of board wargames , there was a period of transition when there was an attempt to adapt these to computer play with varied results. So , perhaps I'm seeing something that isn't there , but something I thought worth investigating. Didn't want to put anyone's nose out of joint. Just trying to ascertain if a string of "double turns" is a possibility within the structure of this game.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 18:18

18 hrs minumum have to pass before you may move the next time. Meaning, you can hold the moving until just before 6 hrs after the turn started and still be there to move at the exact change of turn.

Last Edited : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 18:19

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 - 18:23

To answer the other issue about double move: As long as we have a game that used to be tickbased then turned into turn based there is nop possible way to avoid people getting two moves in before you can move once as we can't sit around and wait for all (16 in the game I'm in now) to take their turn in order. So deal with the facts and be there on time if you want to avoid being double moved on.

Nebuchadnezer DoC
Joined 9/06/2005

Posted : Friday, 9 November 2012 - 00:15

Look at Sugar's turn times. Look at the days he took those turns. His story doesn't match what happened. Like I said...if someone wants to hit you with a double turn, they will make it happen. No use in crying over spilled milk...it's just a game...

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Friday, 9 November 2012 - 00:47

The only way to avoid the dreaded double hit is to consistently move in the last 6 hours of the turn before turn change. If you do that and someone moves after you, you will definitely be able to move before them the next turn. Also, very few players wait until the end of the turn to move anyway. It makes for a much more relaxed game.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 9 November 2012 - 02:05

Well apparently I was moving in the very last hour of the last 6 hours and I wasn't bothered, but then along comes daylight saving time.

rex

Trotsky
Joined 13/07/2009

Posted : Friday, 9 November 2012 - 03:01

Thanks Hwatta - that's the answer I needed . It has to be consistent. The analysis is quite right also - who wants to bother with that to get there . It's just a game . I think Neb said that too. For me, what I've been actually experiencing then are random occurrences triggered by mostly random time play by both myself & other players. Military History books refer to this as " stealing a march " which despite the word usage is not a negative thing,but attributable to luck or skill. When I've lost to that , I didn't deserve to win anyway , because in effect, I was outmaneuvered .

<<   1 2        
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.191406 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap