HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.5 MAY 2024 06:54  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Question Corner
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : So what is the excuse for... (closed)
Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 - 19:29

troops not just being able to attack once every 24 hours?

Meaning if a particular troop comes in and attacks at 13:00 today, why is it that he can attack less than 24 hours later just because it is a new turn?

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 - 21:56

The timespan is 18 hrs but not more than once a turn.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 03:37

Exactly my point. It should be as the turn states, 24 hours not 18.

Meaning, if I move my unit at 00:00 and you move your unit at 02:00 you should not be able to move your unit along with me the next day at 00:00. Instead you should have to wait till 02:00 to move your unit as well.

With the terms 1 turn every 24 hours comes the notion that things are completely fair, but on the surface they are not. For with an 18 hour time span, Player A who comes in at the beginning of the turn is at a disadvantage.

Player A will come in at the beginning of the turn, his opponent (Player B) will come in 5 hours later and also make his move. Player B might then come in and decide to come less than 24 hours later(19 to be exact) and take his turn alongside Player A at the beginning of the turn. This essentially makes it 2 moves to 1 if Player A just takes an extra few minutes to make his move the second time around compared to Player B. That makes things COMPLETELY favorable to Player B in the middle of an intense battle.

With the notion that these are 1 turn per day games that little 6 hour window leaves room for serious disadvantages to the player who is under the impression that his opponent is getting in as many moves as him.

Last Edited : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 03:39

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 05:03

As long as you yourself is on time and make your moves as soon as possible you can never have a disadvantage of to someone who comes in later.
If the time span was 24 hrs you would never be able to catch up if you for some reason missed the exact time of a new turn. In a longer game that would probably mean you'd lose one or more turns.

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 06:25

What you say is true LOD, but only if you make your move at the exact beginning of the turn, only play in one campaign, and you have a faster connection than your opponent. Otherwise, UB is correct. The current system is unfair and almost forces simultaneous movement that it is not designed for as a partial antidote.
If you make your moves from 00:00 to say 00:15 each new turn in two campaigns, and get into heated battles in both, one of your opponents will be able to move as late as 05:59 one day and still move again before you can make your response to his first move. This is the double attack...and it really sucks on the receiving end. It happens everyday.
If you make your move later in the day, but always at the same time...true 1/day players...any opponent can actually engineer a double attack.
If you don't believe this, just look at how many players are on at the exact turn start compared to any other point in the day. Consistently more. This is not because every player gets off work at 00:00 WoL gametime. It is 8am for me. It is because it is necessary to keep your chances alive in any game you care about.
Cheers,
H.

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 07:21

You'all might have get babysitters,to make moves for you in these situations. Just trust somebody in your household or a friend,with your password to the game and have them make the move for you at a certain time.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 09:31

Yes thats true Hwatta and I never claimed to support this system. On the contrary I fought it a lot some years ago with no success. Ofcourse it's a lot better whe a player can himself chose when his turns begin like you could with the ticksystem.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 10:23

This sort of argument was driving Requiem crazy. There doesn't really seem to be a totally "fair" way to have multiple players with 24 hour access to a campaign game, they all have some fault that makes people scream. One of the main reasons he has abandoned the game in my opinion. You can go on and on about it, what difference does it make? Do you actually expect him to "fix" it for you? He has pretty well said he won't do any more development on this game. He barely fixes game-breaking bugs, much less gameplay issues. I know this sucks, but there it is.

That being said, if you get double-turned at least you know you'll get the next shot, even if it is one from a decimated army. Plan with that in mind, especially if you find yourself against a double turn timing master as I did recently. He got two of them in a short period and I was over.

We just have to love the game as it is, since that is what we have. If stuff happens that makes it truly unplayable Req will generally fix it quickly.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 12:49

The solution might be a compromise. Tickbased but you'd need to get 100% before moving which would take 18 hrs to get. If you chose to move after 18 hrs you lose attack points for each hex you move. So in order to get a full attack in you'd need to wait 24 hrs.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 - 16:28

"This sort of argument was driving Requiem crazy. There doesn't really seem to be a totally "fair" way to have multiple players with 24 hour access to a campaign game, they all have some fault that makes people scream. One of the main reasons he has abandoned the game in my opinion. You can go on and on about it, what difference does it make? Do you actually expect him to "fix" it for you?"-Mog-

I think I made pretty clear what I want, heck I phrased it as a question (please see title and first post) so it should be pretty clear. However, I will make it clearer I guess.

What was the reasoning/excuse behind that particular feature(take your turn within 6 hours of turn start and you could move again at the beginning of the next turn)?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 - 00:36

"What was the reasoning/excuse behind that particular feature(take your turn within 6 hours of turn start and you could move again at the beginning of the next turn)?"

Admittedly this is another feature that has caused me plenty of grief in the past (think it's not in one turn/day games tho (not sure));
but however, with this turn system, how else can a player be allowed to take an entitled turn late (last minute) and then get back into the groove so to speak taking turns at a normal time?

Again, admittedly, I'm sure the feature is being abused, but it seems a pretty complicated *if, then, else* programming trick to get around it like for example:
if player is able to take his turn, then allow it if player is not at war, else allow it, then delay next turn.

rex

Last Edited : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 - 00:39

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 - 00:53

My answer to your question UB is that back when the game was really active, it could take upwards of an hour to make your moves in 5 or 6 campaigns. Some amount of time had to be allowed so a player could make all of their moves at roughly the same time each day...but not locked in to the second (this would cause the loss of a turn in practical terms as Rex noted). So the combination of allowing multiple moves in multiple campaigns while maintaining a bit of flexibility in turn start time resulted in a 6-hour overlap period. It could have been a 3-hour or 4-hour, etc. but Req chose 6 hours. In real life terms it allows for traffic jams, late lunches, or fast chores that mom or spouse insist on before game time.
IMO, the overlap itself is not bad...just the combination of the overlap with the turn based system...in tick based it was not nearly as devastating. As Mog says, we have to love the game we've got...because it is not going to be rebalanced now.
Cheers,
H.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 - 03:08

Thank you Hwatta and Rex. I was more curious with the reasoning behind it and that makes perfect sense. It also helps me understand how far from its original intended use the system has been taken(if at all).

I also am aware, quite honestly, that Req gave up on this game. It happens, I respect it, we all have to make choices between what we do and do not do with our time. I also do not hold any real hope that it will ever be taken up by him even as a hobby. The thing is, I am technically new to this game(Before I came back recently my last game under any mode was before the changes took place). Seeing these events unfold as my poor little helpless pixelated army men get slaughtered takes me to wondering how the game overall got to this particular iteration.

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 - 04:27

Req was trying a bunch of new play balance effects for possible use in War of Kings. He tried many things to encourage new users and simplify the game. He also wanted to take away the advantages that the experienced, dedicated players had by using the tick-based system to their advantage. Things like moving one hex to block an enemy attack or finishing off the 1 pop scout that was going to be used as fodder during your opponents next move. Not huge massacre things, but they had a cumulative effect over the course of a campaign. What really happened was the mass exodus of the experienced, dedicated players who didn't like and refused to adapt to the new system. And, a couple of changes that lead to really bad consequences during gameplay. Thus, here we are, the few, the truly dedicated, and the confused. 28 players as of the time I write this.
Regards,
H.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 19 September 2012 - 01:20

Sadly

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 19 September 2012 - 06:32

We are still a lucky 30 players, we have a great game, slightly damaged, all to ourselves! Wheee!

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 21 September 2012 - 02:54

A great optimistic way of looking at it .

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Friday, 21 September 2012 - 13:40

It's a shame that for the ones who are still here,we do not get involved enough. We have almost 30 active peeps,but only a few votes for game of the month,TOTM,POTM,sign in for battles,duels and camps,clan membership,clan games and forum activity. But then you cry **** and complain when things go afoul in the game. I'm going to send Req an email to just delete this game from the internet. Stop bitching and support the damn game,or should I say WOL. Support it,or just delete your account. I know some of you got jobs,school,families and other responsibilities,but I got 3 jobs,school and I still put in at least 10-15 minutes a day on this site. I'm dedicated. It's just a matter of learning how to manage your time in a 24hr day. We are all grown men and women,it can be done. You've got plenty of time to do the job,class,house,chores,drinking,partying,sexing,drugging and whatever else you be doing. You can teach other people, how to manage your account,if you are to busy,to make a move at that time. There is no excuse. You'all got until Sunday night to voice your support,opinion or whatever,before I send the email. I'm beginning to think that Req is done with this game,can't say I blame him,but I think WOL is almost a done deal. And you can forget about War of Kings. I'm buying me another 40 oz. of BULL,and going to bed. Before I work my 3 jobs tomorrow,do class and log in like a faithful follower,for at least 15 to 45 minutes. Goodnight to all,and many a peaceful dreams.

Last Edited : Friday, 21 September 2012 - 13:45

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Friday, 21 September 2012 - 16:23

doo,
Not too sure where you are coming from with this post. It has many possible points, so I'll just go down the list.
The levels of involvement by the current 30 or so players varies widely. LOD is on many hours, so is Mog, along with a few others. I am on for about an hour and a half each day and probably fall in the middle of activity. With 10-15 minutes, you are probably one of the least active.
The votes for game of the month on MPOGD are for the purpose of getting new players to check out the game. We try to keep ourselves in the top 10 which show up on the top games list on that site. We are currently in 8th place for this month. Not too bad for a game with 30 players.
As for TOTM...it doesn't mean anything really. Most of us like Marksmen and Mace, but who really cares. POTM has been a popularity contest at times (most times) and a vote on who is playing the best that month on occasion. With so few games, the vote has little meaning at this point. I usually vote for whoever does the best job attacking or defending against me.
Are you suggesting that everything works as you desire in the game currently? Most of us are frustrated with the current status of the game because of play balance issues that should be addressed, but probably never will be. It is sad for such a great game to be in this state. With the huge play issues, it is difficult to attract and keep new players...that is the main point.
You are probably right about WoK never coming out. Who knows?
Sorry you have to work 3 jobs. Hope things improve for you. I doubt sending an e-mail to Req asking him to delete the game will have any impact, but I'm sorry you feel that way.
Regards,
H.
P.S. Hope this is the kind of opinion you were looking for.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 21 September 2012 - 17:08

Doodoomite,
God bless your stamina and self-discipline to work at three jobs and even go to school is all that I can say about that.

PS:
I don't think I missed more than 5 MPOGD votes since January when I started voting steady, but I'm getting up in age and it's just too much for me to keep up with more than one game at the time especially with the simultaneous movement feature.

In my humble opinion the PG game makes the whole dang game worth saving and playing So please don't tell Req to shut it down.

rex

1 2   >>
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.162109 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap