HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 19:08  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Question Corner
AuthorTopic : Double turn
Lothar
Joined 2/08/2009

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 07:27

Is it possible, or even easier for someone to get a double turn in a 1turn/day camp?

klyph
Joined 30/05/2008

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 09:17

unless you miss your turn completely you can't do a double turn unless you let you opponent do one first or your opponent does one after. So in essence you are banking that your two turns will pay off more than their two turns.

on a 1t/d camp it takes 18 hours for your armies to be able to move again. 24-18=6 on a 2t/d it takes 9hrs 12-9= 3. so there is a 6 hour window that you can take your turn on the same day where as a 3hour window in a 2t camp. I don't think i explained this well enough for you to understand but what it boils down to is that yes, it is easier to take advantage of this "bug" (if you will) in a 1t/day camp.

Heat
Joined 16/10/2007

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 12:39

ummmm, soooo, what Klyph is saying is that if I take my turn right at the tic, then I can move again 6 hours before the next tic.....

I don't quite think that is so buddy.

What you can do Lothar, and what people actually refer to a "Double Turn"; would be when your makeing your moves about 5 or 6 hours into a fresh turn, or after the tic. You do this on a regular basis, and lul your opponent into believeing you do your move at the same time every day out of conveniance or habit. Now your opponent isn't so jumpy right at the tic and is starting to get lax about moveing his own units at the tic.

So your game is getting a little exited and some important battles are about to happen. You meet your target on the battlefield; he moves and atacks you within an hour or two of the tic, and you react by moveing and attacking at least less than 6 hours after the tic. So far, so good, your booth playing at your regular time.

The next Turn, you log on right at the tic, while buddy is out getting a coffie or haveing a smoke, thinking your not playing for another 5 or 6 hours.

BAM!!!! you just doubleturned him, and got an extra attack in before he got his in. Chances are you just picked off some important targets, and have severly reduced his ability to retalite when he finaly sits down to take his turn.

Some people call this a "Double turn", some call this "initiative"; What-ever you call this, most people don't like it and will call you a cheater, or cheap.

Another tactic that has been refered to as a Double turn and also considered cheap; is when you move part of your force at one time every day, and a second wave at a different time. I personally consider this one just plain good tactics; but many people think you should just let them controle the initaive.

Nebuchadnezer DoC
Joined 9/06/2005

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 13:45

Everyone is so stuck on the idea that you HAVE to take your turn as close to the tic as possible. Why? Make your moves in the last part of the turn. Given that most people DO move at the tic or close to it, just take your turn after the majority move, and you will have no problems...most of the time.

Heat
Joined 16/10/2007

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 14:48

The great one has spoken, and is absolutly correct.

All this talk about getting the first attack in a turn is actually distracting people from the idea that if you really want complette controle of the battle, or "initiative"; you want your opponent to move first in a turn, then you can pick and chose your targets after his move.

Though, wether you consider the ability to do damage first (in a round) or the ability to make the best moves (in that round) more important, is really subject to personal preferance and perspective of the game.

You may have got the first attack this round, but I attacked you first (in our war)last round, after you had already moved. Who has attacked first?

Maybe I did attack you this round first, and let you move after I'm already committed, but I have just crippled or killed any of your units that could make an imidiate impact on your move. Who has the initiative?

It's really just personal prefference to how anyone would answer this.

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 18:03

Nebuchadnezer indeed speaks truth. Generally it is best to move all your units just before the tick - that way it is impossible for you opponent the get a double turn on you.

Also, until you join battle, if your opponent logs on and moves, say 6 hours into the turn, they may believe you are moving just after the tick and be rather surprised when you finally manage to arrange a double turn at a crucial moment.

There was a thread in strategy and tactics about this not long back: waronline.net/forums/posts.asp?m=15057

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2009 - 18:11

Of course, moving just before the tick means you have to play in the middle of the night if you live Stateside (2am Eastern/ 11pm Pacific). Personally I'd prefer this to getting up at 6:30am, which is what I have to do here in the UK. Sometimes I sleep through my alarm and miss my turn completely!

So I only do this if there is a crucial battle coming up.

klyph
Joined 30/05/2008

Posted : Friday, 4 September 2009 - 02:26

i usually do my turn mid turn or a few hours after the tic. all of the people that are taking their turn at the tic have done so and the people that take their turn before the tic have no chance of hitting me with a double turn. I change it up every once in a while, as if you see me taking my turn everyday at the same time and you usually play on the tic you could get a double turn in on me. i always play somewhere around the middle though. I haven't ever been double-turned from what i can remember and have never done it to someone else.

Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.156250 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap