HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.1 MAY 2024 11:58  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (3)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : two turns in a row
Zandorr
Joined 4/03/2009

Posted : Thursday, 19 March 2009 - 17:53

How do you keep from being hit twice in a row?
is it neccessary to get up in the wee hours
and take time off work in order to play your turn?
If you can`t play your turn exactly on time then you just get wiped out?
It seems that ploting to get 2 in a row is the most crirical strategy in this game which means it is ill suited for most people

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Thursday, 19 March 2009 - 18:04

I assume your refering to the camp we are battling in.

Camps are either 1, 2 or 3 turns a day.

You probably want to be in a 1 a day. Thats what i normally play in myself.

In a 2 a day you kinda have to be able to get on at odd times to survive.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 19 March 2009 - 20:17

It used to far worse when campaigns were tick-based games! We had people setting their alarms for every two hours to avoid getting wiped out while sleeping.

I agree with Zues, one turn a day is a lot less dangerous... but still, try to keep from getting in positions where another player can really wipe you out if they happen to get two in a row on you. They can only do it once at a time but it is really annoying to get hit twice.

titonator
Joined 12/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 19 March 2009 - 21:14

I hate getting hit twice like that, i used to be one of those good time keepers always made my turn as soon as it was time

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Thursday, 19 March 2009 - 21:40

i dont always make them but mon to fri im pretty close.
the weekend wreaks havoc on my turns though and i often get behind then. thats why normally i stick to 1 a day camps. miss 2 turns in a 2 a day and you can get really really hurt :p

i remember the days of the tick based camps. i was one of those who set my alarm to keep from getting crushed

pinafore
Joined 19/07/2001

Posted : Saturday, 21 March 2009 - 14:40

any1 remember skirmish games with 45min. turns!? o_O

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Saturday, 21 March 2009 - 16:52

vaguely, i never played in one though

titonator
Joined 12/02/2004

Posted : Sunday, 22 March 2009 - 08:26

I remember the good old skirmishes, and the unranked ultra games also, loved my ultras

I'd really love to play some skirmish and ultra games again

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Sunday, 22 March 2009 - 17:16

By far the easiest way to avoid this is to make sure you let your opponent move first. The first time you meet, consider the turn your forces actually engage in conflict the first turn, and let your opponent make that move. First of all, if you're careful about it, your counter attack should be better than his initial attack (or at least fairly even). But the main point is that, from then on, he will HAVE to move before you every single turn of the game (for as long as you're engaged) to avoid giving you a double turn.

Think about it, in a 24 hour game he attacks at 1 hour, hoping to get in a double attack, you attack at 4. Notice that you can both now attack at the time changeover (hour 1), but he has to do that just to keep things even, if you move first you'll get in a double attack. For the rest of the engagement the player is forced to log in early or risk giving you a double attack while you have the option to log in whenever you please. You could log in at 12 hours, 23 hours, whatever; your opponent has already moved that turn so it doesn't matter as long as you get that turn in before his next. And since there's no guesswork, you don't have to worry about catching him at the right time; the worst that can happen is things remain even, he's the one worrying about letting you log in before him.

Moral of the story: don't let the allure of getting in that first attack seduce you. Playing 24 hour games like this allowed me to do pretty much whatever I wanted and still remain competitive. I could take my turn at hour 3 one day, and hour 23 of the next day without loosing any ground.

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Sunday, 22 March 2009 - 17:50

Very well said Bloodbaron. I hope everyone at WoL get to read it. If they didnt understand the double hit concept before im sure they do now

Soljah
Joined 7/01/2006

Posted : Saturday, 28 March 2009 - 04:32

ahhh good ol tick based games, i miss those... was on ever 4 hours xD

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Saturday, 28 March 2009 - 19:41

Very good explanation. In the Avalon Hill game 3rd Reich, we call the change from moving last to moving first (leading to 2 turns in a row) a "flip-flop".

Best way to avoid it is indeed to take your moves after the other player. I have been known to set my alarm for 5:35am in order to get up and take my turn just before the end of turn (at 6am until tomorrow when our clocks go forward). This is necessary because most of you players in the States/Canada seem to take your turns after I go to bed.

Grabbing a flip-flop is a very useful strategy, but make sure that you really make the most of it and do your best to eliminate your opponent's retalitory power during that flip flop. If you have any troops unable to cause significant damage during the flip-flop, consider leaving them with a move still to come (a reserve), so you can respond to your opponent's moves after they move.

Finally, unless you destroy your opponent quickly, at some point you may well be forced to concede a flip-flop to your opponent. Choosing when this happens is a good idea, because you can limit the damage done by this by retreating out of range to "lick your wounds". Move only those units in danger. After the flip flop, keep moving after your opponent until you have massed enough forces to make another flip-flop really count, then do it again!

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Monday, 1 June 2009 - 02:17

Good points. I always loved the strat forum...even though it was by far the least used.

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.179688 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap