HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.5 MAY 2024 09:28  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Question Corner
<<   1 2        
AuthorTopic : Fantasy Fliers
Nebuchadnezer DoC
Joined 9/06/2005

Posted : Sunday, 19 October 2008 - 21:26

Looks like I have a bug to report...

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 19 October 2008 - 21:58

There are plenty of locations on the PG map where fliers can cross the water without being stopped because they can't land on it and if played the way I'm thinking (i.e. evasively) will actually be able to also use the water to escape otherwise elimination by scouts
and I'm sure non-Demonic players would like to have the normal support of their ranged units instead of having to use them to chase fliers.

On the matter of "who likes demons and who doesn't", it would be interesting to know because I'm sure a lot of children will like them and it would also be interesting to know how many of our high scorers will like them.

This is probably just a personal peeve for all I know, but again there's nothing wrong with my imagination and the look of a real medieval battlefield to me is half the appeal of this game.

PS:
The only reason I can think for the last post above is because I could swear I saw a flier on the water (i.e. shallows) before I left the PG game.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 03:42

Imho there are a few possible solutions to this like:

a) make Duels and PGs available with and without Demonics
b) make Demonics a part of everyone's repertoire of units (whether they are Medieval or Barbarian) through some sort of Merlin the magician type unit
c) DGs solution
d) do nothing
e) just remove Demonics

Needless to say that I would prefer a or e.

rex

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 05:31

you can create games that are ANY class, or you can specify just one class, so that noone can use anything else.

of course this limits you to only 1 class for all players.

we can limit flyers to not get resource piles, but that seems a little counter-intuitive.

and my future plans are to actually have 8 smaller classes, where you choose any 2 to play with. so you can mix & match troops. so you could have some fliers, ranged, melee, etc. all depends on the combination you choose.
but thats still a while away, and we dont have enough troops for that right now anyway

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 06:00

We-ell, TR, as far as I know you can make a duel/battle/campaign that forces the enemy to play as Medieval.

Yes, Req, it's probably a little counter-intuitive, but I'm all with TR in that piles are what makes the early game what it is and if Demons can get even the most marginal advantage, well...

That said I do believe this new system has decreased the, uh, necessity of early piles to the degree when a Demon player will not win a game vs a better player because of this, but certainly if two very equal players (and I must admit that the WoL community is of very high calibre) were to play Demon vs Medieval the Demonic player would get more piles, and, in some maps, faster resource buildings. Not that I believe the Demonic class as a whole is better, mind, what with the lack of comms and range.

By the way, I eagerly anticipate that change, Req. Sounds like the kind of thing I could get behind

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 07:37

Darkguy00000,
you've been away and if I haven't made it clear here or elsewhere which game helped make my day, it is the Proving_Ground game which doesn't allow a restriction of class now;

and I just re-enterred it to see a Demonic flier stopped over deep water ready to take one of the piles on my territory;
and I also looked at the ranking which I'll just say may support my belief that Demonics may have an advantage on the PG map.

Anyway if it still isn't clear to you, it is the PG game that I had found to be quite enjoyable and now seems imho to be over-populated with with Demonic players.

rex

Mechdestroyer
Joined 11/04/2003

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 07:50

yeah i just started and there are some demons coming into my land taking my piles only one flier though and one scissor, the flier i made pay though

Nebuchadnezer DoC
Joined 9/06/2005

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 07:57

Demons are new. Everyone wants to try out something different. Medi is fine, but that's all that has been available for the last 5 years. Everyone knows what they do (although Req made some nice changes to specials), so most people want to try out this new class in a campaign. I've even spotted a Mog with barbs, who have their own unique play style, I'm sure.

I agree that demons can get an early start...however, when matched up against medievil or barbarians with equal level troops, medievil/barbarians have the edge with ranged troops, and comms bonuses. Demons have to be evasive, because they get crushed in a head on conflict. It's all a trade off.

And just think how easy it will be to seige a demonic castle...they have to come out of the castle, or just get picked off by the ranged...big disadvantage for demons.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 20 October 2008 - 08:37

I'll just say that it's not just whether or not they have an advantage or whether or not I think I can beat them ...
it's that my senses are jogged back to reality by them.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 21 October 2008 - 02:34

PS:
Here's an example of why I enjoyed the PG game:

www.geocities.com/marsgranite/taurexico.jpg

rex

Renno
Joined 23/05/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 21 October 2008 - 19:09

only 1 pic? I was hoping for a series!

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 21 October 2008 - 19:54

That's all I shot ... thought Mog was gonna take one of the last round before the game was folded.
Now I can only describe that we both lost about half of the openning army you see in that shot, but we both rebuilt until I had about 90 stacks at the scene including 14 ballista

and he had about the same except about 22 ballista including support by about 3 stacks of HCs, 3 of knights and plenty of mace.
His towers were about 4 rows deep and he had about ten barracks at the scene not far in the backfield.
My side included another row of towers and a second wall all the way across before it ended and I finally had two stacks of HCs two turns away and also ended up with more cats than him with two more stacks on the way.

It turned into a catapult war with neither one of us suicidal enough to cross our front lines again.

rex

Last Edited : Tuesday, 21 October 2008 - 19:56

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Thursday, 23 October 2008 - 08:48

As far as leaving your castle undefended and getting surprised, I'd think it more realistic to leave some troops at home. Heck, even if you didn't, your barracks could pump out a huge number before the flyers even reached you. Resource piles they defenitely have and advantage on, but I think they need a strong early game to compensate for their weak mid (as comms and protectors own them, and they have no ranged to pick them off).

One thing to consider is that, at the moment, the flying designation is the same as the neutral designation (with the benefit of flying of course ) in terms of how it interacts with units. I propose a change for realism and ballance; give flyers a bonus to att/def with melee units (like the rps ones) and give them a def pentalty to ranged attacks. With the recent nerf to ranged this should make it a good deal easier to take out flyers from a secure position like a castle without taking all their teath out.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 23 October 2008 - 09:11

Why do you want to kill my pretty neeths

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 23 October 2008 - 09:45

Blood,
are you in the PG yet, because seeing is believing ...
try to get a castle/territory untouched by them

and I think you folks need to look at the stats a little closer on them because they have three units with healths greater than HCs now just for an example
and there wasn't ever an answer about whether it's a bug for them to be able to stop on water or not because they do (i.e. I've seen these Neehts stopped over water on more than one occassion).

After three attempts I finally settled on a castle that Lod was sitting on with a Neeht because he had just beaten the owner and thought a new player wouldn't be able to join in that castle while his Neeht was inside guarding it.

The territory was more than half cleared already of resource and gold piles, but the compensation is that there are still several of Lod's former enemy turned to stone here and there.

Lod and I are at peace or I'd describe his Neeht in more detail for you ...
at first I thought it wasn't going to understand me.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 23 October 2008 - 09:51

<<   1 2        
Back To Question Corner   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.136719 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap