HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.3 MAY 2024 09:13  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : When to move?
BRAVO 872
Joined 11/10/2007

Posted : Saturday, 19 January 2008 - 07:35

When do most players move?

What is the stratedgy?

Is their an etiquette?

What if players are moving at the same time?

Last Edited : Saturday, 19 January 2008 - 07:37

vikingo
Joined 5/12/2003

Posted : Saturday, 19 January 2008 - 08:14

I think you should see what's best for you...

If I'm far from the FOE, I wait to see which are his plans...
If I'm at war, I try to move first so I can take more advantage from the battle...

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Saturday, 19 January 2008 - 23:47

if they are at different times than you then theres no issue, its when they are at the same time. I usually talk to anyone who moves the same time i do and try to work out a deal as to when to move though even this isn't necessary as long as each person moves all their guys at once, its when people wait around to counter or hit late and try to get a double that things tend to go sower (getting two hits for your opponnents one tends to throw off the game). Rex wrote alot on this when the turns made it possible to get double attacks on people.

the only one i've had actively use this against me though was neb and everyone i talk to about it has very mixed feelings about it. and moving at the same time is just a mess that i don't think anyone can consistantly pull off and be happy, the fact that people are always moving and u cann't keep a consistant plan with it makes it very difficult to play.

Last Edited : Saturday, 19 January 2008 - 23:53

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Sunday, 20 January 2008 - 02:43

I've had to change my tactics to avoid the simultaneous disaster move. I try to not put myself in a position where moving second is a disadvantage, although that isn't always possible. I sure hate moving while my opponent is moving though, it adds up to a giant ball of anger in my noggin.

Heat
Joined 16/10/2007

Posted : Sunday, 20 January 2008 - 05:21

I actually had a very interesting experiance with this;

Ok, so it's a "clan" game, and I'm under orders to rush my targets base.

I'm late home for lunch on the day I'm closeing on the castle, and he's already moved; I move my whole starting force into his road area, and seal one door with some units inside the castle.

Next turn, I watch the "who's online" for like 10-15 minutes, and thinking "what I'm going to do"; I was hopeing he would attack first, and I could go second, to deal with units inside the base he has just made...

I'm running out of "lunch-time", so decide to make my moves first. Guess what.... he logs on as soon as I stop paying attention, I make like 1 or 2 moves and realize it's takeing longer to "refresh" the map....

Now he has 2 of his units inside the castle, with a guy stuck in the door, right in the midle of my "group" some-how LMAO!

Lets just say that night, I already had my moves planned LOL

Story had a happy ending (for me LOL) but simultanious moves can have "interesting" side effects

(How did he manage to get that guy in the middle of units I hadn't even moved yet?)

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Sunday, 20 January 2008 - 16:00

if your opponent ritualisically logs on to move/attack at around the same time, just plan expecting them to log on then and take their turn. I guess just study your defend history messages for a pattern

Renno
Joined 23/05/2005

Posted : Sunday, 24 February 2008 - 17:23

since a couple people have asked here's my worthless opinion.

The game mechanics allows a possible double move on opponent in the middle of a war. If we could guarantee every player would or could play by a certain code of honor perhaps we could set a game within those guidelines, however we can never guarantee anything. What if you could only play a certain time of day, which could vary from day to day, if you had to wait until a certain time you could screw up the order or miss a turn entirely.

So all I can say is play the game best suited to your timeframe. Be aware how deadly this move could have effect and play accordingly. Remember also that if a player gets a double move on you he has to keep up that time frame or give up a double move back on him.

Good luck!

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Monday, 25 February 2008 - 11:13

I basically move ON TIME or late - but that is because my schedule prevents otherwise.

Jmac

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 01:59

I haven't gotten into the details of this in a long time because I admittedly don't like the simultaneous move/attack circumstance so have just avoided campaigns;

but here are some facts you need to know:

1) there used to be a circumstance where a player could actually cheat by attacking twice with the same units within the same turn, but that has been stopped/fixed by the auto-end turn feature So please believe me that noone is able to attack twice in the same turn with the same units anymore

2) the first quarter of a game turn is considered the safe ontime quarter So that if you move your units for example during the first three hours of a 12 hour/turn game, you moved them ontime and your next turn will arrive at the beginning of the 12th hour which could be midnight or noon and you must understand that it will arrive at those times whether you moved at at one, two, or just before three am or pm (not sure if you are late if you move at exactly three though (help Crazy Li)).

That seems like a possible stumbling point for some of you because you need to understand that if you are going along for example taking your turn at 2:00 am, you are not late but neither is your opponent late if he takes his turn at 2:30 am and both of you will be able to take your next turn when the 12th hour arrives which would be at noon game time and whenever that is in your timezone;

So if your opponent has attacked you at 2:30 am game time, he will be able to attack you again next turn anytime after 12:00 noon gametime. This is two consecutive attacks if you want to call it that, but it occurred in two separate turns;

So naturally if you were attacked and know you are able to be attacked again, it is in your best interest to try to be online at the 12th hour to either retaliate or retreat and there is every possibility of a messy simultaneous confrontation at that time if your opponent does come online So if you are going to try to out-maneuver him you might want to plan and even rehearse your moves which again admittedly is not my idea of fun;

but that's why I decided to post here.
I don't do Battles, but it seems to me that first strike is all important and that is now the circumstance we have in the campaigns because if you get hit first, the best you can probably hope is that you can get online same time as your hitter and either way you already got hit and couldn't get a descent retale in a simultaneous confrontation So you got the worst of it and it could have been worse.

That leaves *don't get hit first* ...
that leaves have plenty of scouts and know where your enemy is and that leaves keep your distance, bait him, scout him and try to get him to over-extend himself so you can strike first.
I know ... easier said than done and again I'm not a Battler, but I know you Battlers have plenty of tricks up your sleeves and if someone is catching you off-balance, it just may be that he is just a little more clever than you.

Again I repeat:
Do all that is nececessary to avoid getting hit first.

3) units moved after the first quarter of the turn go into late mode and can be moved 3/4s of a turn after the time they are used until they catch up to normal gametime and some folks are deliberately moving many of their units late for too reasons:
a) because the simultaneous attack is off-set much of the time by moving units late
b) because if when moving units, you keep a second wave rear-guard close behind of late units, you can possibly route a surprise attack on yourself by using your rear-guard to take out enemy fodder and free units of yours that may have been trapped by fodder and also leave some fodder of your own.

Finally don't forget to scout.

rex

Last Edited : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 02:07

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 02:11

if you moved exactly 3 hours after the turn's time, you're technically late but it's probably unnoticable... this is difficult because of the 30 minute timer on troops, though. I think that at 3am in 1T/day game, your units just re-cycled and now any moves within that next half hour will post to 3:30, but don't quote me on that.

the result should be your next move being available at 12:30 instead of 12.

Renno
Joined 23/05/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 19:48

rex the end turn button is gone troops are now on individual timers.

the timers have a half hour bug, the unit may say not ready until 00:30 but the unit comes of use at 00:00.

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 20:00

the half hour thing's not a bug to my knowledge... Req put that in purposely for something related to figuring out when that specific unit gets their next move. instead of looking at the exact minute, the move is taken as whatever half hour window that unit was moved in... so if you spent 10 minutes moving all your units, they would all become available again at the same time instead of sporadically over a 10 minute period or something...

at least, that's my understanding of it

Biscuit
Joined 15/09/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 20:11

You are both correct. It is just that Req calls the 00:00-00:30 half hour window 00:30 whereas it makes more sense to call it 00:00, which is when the troops are ready to move again. Renno is just pointing out that the availability of the troops should have the beginning of the window displayed, and not the end of the window.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 22:03

Yes I know there is no end turn button now Renno, but the game time still cycles/ticks at the twelfth hour in a two turn per day game and on the twelfth hour and every eight hours in a three turn/day game and on the twelfth hour every 24 hours in a one turn/day game;

So the game turn is still auto-ending for units to be moved ontime with those ontime units coming ready to be used again at the next game time tick although I realise units used late are always ready until they are used.

Forgive me if I have used a wrong terminology, but I think I am basicly right in saying that no unit now can be used to make two attacks during the same game turn.

Each unit can be used only once whether ontime or late and then either a full turn for ontime units or a 3/4 turn for late units must pass before they can be used again although that full turn for ontime units is at the next game turn tick so it can vary at least a couple hours or so also in the time that passes from when it was used.
rex

Last Edited : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 22:17

Renno
Joined 23/05/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 22:14

correct rex not during the same turn, a double move can only occur by playing after opp in 1 turn and before in the next turn.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 22:26

Renno,
I can only repeat that all is legal now and at least now it is possible to counter the "stalk and wait" tactic because units that can be used late are always ready to be used if they haven't been used yet.

PS:
I even looked to see if you had posted before I edited my last post, but you still posted before I did the edit.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 22:46

Also yes,
it is devastating to get attacked first because your attacker can at minimum at least ruin your counter attack with a simultaneous attack So again I repeat that if you like this game you are going to have to learn how to be the first attacker or make your opponent regret attacking you by having a big ace in the hole.

Players need to understand that they can't play haphazardly ...
they have to take the time to assemble a formidable force like for example:
suppose you move a force into striking range of your opponent;
he takes the bait and then you counter with 100 massed archers with expert weapons and a ten commandeer assist and also the necessary support units including fodder.

Its a matter of adjusting and if you are going to allow yourself to be attacked, you need to be holding the right counter trump.

rex

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 23:10

the thing is... people are prepared enough for the enemy to attack them and for them to counter attack and they KNOW the enemy can't do enough devistation in 1 attack to throw off their gameplan... but then when that opponent is able to attack you twice before you're allowed to move again, that WILL mess you up because you took more damage than you coulda been prepared for. and obviously in the ideal situation you still have enough forces so that even that doesn't matter... but let's be realistic... how often do you get attacked by someone you outweigh THAT much?

I think the big reason why people get so pissed off by this is because they can plan to be in perfect position to withstand a single attack but a second attack can allow an enemy to rip through your fodder or otherwise knock down troops to where he has the advantage now.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 23:23

Noone said it was going to be easy.

Seriously Crazy,
imo the only problem I see with the game now is the simultaneous move which is not allowing a descent counter, but I'm not leading a protest on it because I think it is here to stay and I don't even have a descent mouse pad ... dang thing slips and slides every which way.

rex

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 26 February 2008 - 23:37

I'm not complaining about it personally because as far as I know, I haven't fallen victim to it... but I'm also inexperienced, so...

but I'm trying to give the perspective of others as I understand it. to many people this is a big deal. I don't think it's something that can be legitimately fixed by Req without changing the system in a potentially undesirable way. that doesn't make it ok, though.

I want there to be some honor in play here... if you just happen to get a 'double turn' because your schedule caused you to take turn late and then your next available time to log in was 3/4 of the turn time later, I'm not gonna hold that against you... but if you then ritualistically make blatant attempts to continue to get your turn in before your opponent, you're being pathetic and dishorable because you're intentionally exploiting the system.

basically it goes like this: either take your turns reguarally or be lax with them. lax is maybe you get some turns in before your opponent, maybe you get some in after... but it's not like you actually care and if you get a double turn once, you'll end up giving up the same to your opponent eventually because you get to your turns when you do. that's perfectly fine by my standards because you don't carry the intent to exploit anything.

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.156250 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap