HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.3 MAY 2024 10:29  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : Duel Strategy
BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Saturday, 8 September 2007 - 23:12

So I’m wondering, obviously each duelis different, but how do they usually play out? Is there a lot of early troop conflict that matures into attacks at each other’s castles or do people actually wall up like they do in camps? Since the maps are so small I’m thinking duels lend themselves to early and constant aggression, rather than teching up, but I don’t know.

What tech level do you usually reach in duels, do you wall up ever, and how long do the games usually last? Do you shoot for a long game or a short game?

Last Edited : Saturday, 8 September 2007 - 23:14

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 00:09

Well for one that''s played a few duels, I''ve seen it both ways.

Usually a skirmish will break out within a few turns and the entire game may be fought with mostly basic troops and perhaps ending with only advanced melee..of course ballistas are almost a necessity...but seldom will you see falchs or mace on the field and I don''t recall ever seeing master troops.

Other times, similar to the game I just finished with Tub...you''ll have an early fight and perhaps a stand off with neither gaining a clear cut advantage and then a lull in the fighting for a few turns while both build up more armies and then go again.

Most games will end with a castle being taken, rarely will you see walls and towers, but it does happen when you''ve got a good opponent.

My last game with Tub went the distance and at one point we actually had two gaps ''walled'' off with outposts with Tub adding pallisades and walls near the end...I got through one of those ''walls''...but couldn''t quite make it to his castle before the game ended.

Renno
Joined 23/05/2005

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 00:23

hmmm I never found a need to wall up, maybe to block a passage but I can''t remember the last time anybody seen my castle, even the few I lost. sugar you beat me a couple times, did you ever see my castle? If your opponent has plowed his way through to your castle you''ve really lost the game anyways right?

BTW has anybody noticed sugar broke 700???

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 01:09

I have to play a couple experimental Duels when I'm in the mood again because I'm interested to try a couple new ideas, but I have been thinking that when gleaning resource piles beyond your castle it might be better to move an army with as concentrated strength as possible instead of spreading yourself to far afield.

Maybe one scout could still work right field, but if you run into your opponent it's better to hurt him early instead of vice versa I think.
You need to find especially the extra iron piles I think because almost everyone is into enhancing basic troops with as much as expert weapons and armor now.

rex

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 10:23

Renno, only got your castle in our first duel(in the tourney)...the last one, we went full term still fighting, both fights being very intense. One mistake made playing you and it's game over.

The tourney fight against Ice was my most extreme duel to date...with constant positioning, advances, retreats and skirmishes with the victor being decided by less than 60 exp points. My fight and loss to Biodus was very similar to that fight with Ice...with the victor being decided in the last turn for each.
My first duel loss to Wolff wasn''t close...he had me on points and I had to try reckless moves towards the end that just didn''t work.
Tubthumper and zandrade have proved to be good challengers, with my last fight against Tub going full term. A new player, Torquemada, will be a force to reckon with in future duels, if you underestimate him, you may regret it.

Blood, I''ve found it wise to get small pops out quick to gather those piles and takeover the bldgs as quickly as possible before a fight starts. A loss of one (or a few) 1 or 2 pop scouts isn''t going to decide the duel, but having 2 or 3 higher pop armies exposed very well could. If you''d like to try out those new ideas, TR, just holla anytime, I''d be happy to give you the opportunity against me.

As TR mentioned, the timing of purchase of the armor/weapons tech can be crucial and ore is always important...if you''re fighting, having an extra level of either can decide the outcome.
The next crucial step is the transition from basics to advanced melee...you''ve got to be able to hold long enough against an opponent that may be mass producing basics to get those pikes or squires into the battle. A number of times, I was almost overrun with basic melee/archers before I could turn things around with the arrival of advanced and ballista.

I believe that''s the real attraction of duels....at times, being so close to defeat but then being able to turn the assault and go on the offensive.

Last Edited : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 11:01

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 17:16

Maybe this winter.

Nah ...
go ahead and crank a ranked one up, but for now I only want to play a turn every 12 hours because I'm tired.

rex

Gaiyamato
Joined 14/08/2007

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 21:33

Blood Baron.

I have found Duels tend to be rather fast and bloody.
But strats can go in lots of directions I have found.

I''m happy to duel people as I am still learning them myself.
So long as people don''t force turns. lol.

Protoman Z
Joined 1/01/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 22:07

I''m still learning duels too... every time I think the last lost taught me enough to play better, I end up getting smashed again by an opponent taking a completely different strategy that throws me off.

Gaiyamato
Joined 14/08/2007

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 22:16

Yeah same here.

Steep learning curve in this game. lol.
But its all fun.

Loosing to a good opponent is just as fun as defeating one I think.

Protoman Z
Joined 1/01/2002

Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2007 - 22:46

Moreso when it''s a close match. If it''s an intense, nail-biter, then it''s good either way. I''d rather lose a close match than win a blow-out.

Mechdestroyer
Joined 11/04/2003

Posted : Monday, 10 September 2007 - 10:52

i think a lot of the duel strategys on the maps are more of securing key positions on the map than any teching or walling up

Protoman Z
Joined 1/01/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 11 September 2007 - 00:33

You have to capture the pivotal resources before your opponent can get to them, or else you''ll never be able to build an army that will compete. That''s what it comes down to. Get as much as you can before the clash in the middle of the map.

Gaiyamato
Joined 14/08/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 11 September 2007 - 01:48

My strat is 100% about teching up.
Only works in a very specific way though.

If you ask nicely I might give you my experimental strat to try and work on.

But I think working on something that suits your own personality is good. I ran the Training program over 20 times in order to get a feel for the game a bit more and to try some of my ideas.

Use it to try out ideas, see what all the techs give and how it all works, then design a strat that suits you.

I think that is the best way to approach duels and camps.

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2007 - 15:30

The problem with training ... is that it doesn''t bite back.

But i have to agree that you can at least practice your timings.

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Friday, 14 September 2007 - 20:27

Thanks for all your posts, sorry I''ve been neglecting this thread for a while .

I''m wondering now about the market tribute techs in duels, now that I know how much they actually do give you per turn. Are they something you get in a duel, how many levels, and when? Since the fighting is intense early on is advanced taxes more important in in a duel situation?

Protoman Z
Joined 1/01/2002

Posted : Friday, 14 September 2007 - 22:46

You should get Market Tribute II fairly early in a duel. You''ll NEED those extra resources per turn to produce anything other than basic troops.

But really, you want to capture as many resource buildings as possible to feed your income. The market tributes are just supplemental.

The thing about duels is that you want to quick shoot out mass waves of troops to over-power your opponent, and that drains resources. Stone and Gems are two things you barely ever need in a duel, so what you can do is sell those off for extra gold if you want to skip out on tax reform. But metal and wood are crucial.

As for the 3rd Market Tribute... I wouldn''t bother unless the duel is fairly stalemated and might drag on for a long time. As long as you have the upper-hand, just keep pouring what you have into deploying more armies instead of cutting yourself off in favor of the tribute. It''s only the duels that go 75+ turns that call for the 3rd market tribute in my opinion.

Basically, if you''re at turn 50 and can''t see your opponent''s castle, you might as well go for it.

Gaiyamato
Joined 14/08/2007

Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2007 - 20:36

< what Protoman said

Protoman Z
Joined 1/01/2002

Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2007 - 20:59

Though my advice might not be the best... I''ve yet to actually win a duel after all... >_>'

Last Edited : Sunday, 16 September 2007 - 21:00

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2007 - 21:21

duels really cann''t be summed up or simplified, there are a thousand possibilities and what you try to do is to develope you army fast and try your best to react to whatever techs and troops then enemy pushs out.

Also whats extremely important is the first major and maby the 2nd as well, if you can win both of thoughs and gain control of the majority of the resources the game is pretty much yours.

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Monday, 17 September 2007 - 00:47

I assume you mean the first major battle and second. It does seem like, as is the case in most things, if you''re able to secure a resource advantage and use it well then it''s only a matter of time. It seems like, if you can afford to, the tech''s are probably worth getting.

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148438 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap