HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.3 MAY 2024 10:09  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : Outposts and where to use'm 1: Ranges:
Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 15:10

Part 1 of 4
Also was doing Small Movement tactics, soon will be doing Wall tactics.

Outposts are your scout buildings. If you were to complete an outpost, your range would extend. Here are a few pointers/reminders:
1. Outposts are easily damaged by take-over. Have a commandeer ready, then build an outpost as a SPY building, not for offensive reasons. Scouting first gives you an opputunity to improve your units.
2. If an outpost of yours was taken-over, after the next take-over, repair it next turn (the turn you''ve re-taken it, if possible) and continue spying on the enemy.
3. It is possible to spy on players from espionage, but it would b easier to upgrade your outpost range, that way, it will be easier to spy.
4. If you prefer espionage over range spying, then upgrade the outpost so you get a higher chance of success.

Last Edited : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 16:26

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 16:28

Examples:

1. Say I was interested in scouting ahead, but didn''t want to risk running into an enemy. Use a commandeer and build that way.
2. Say an enemy wanted to make their move. I would plant an outpost and spy on them.

Strategy #1:
Protecting an outpost can be a pain in the neck. Consider building walls/palisides after building an outpost, to further protect it.

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 17:03

outposts are good for both offensive and defencive, they give you the means to gather who is going where and when it is best to attack and can give you a full view of your opponents forces.

In defence they provide extra defence points for units garisoned inside and for ranged units and commandeers (when they are going to build) +1 range.

I normally don''t build walls near them unless they are near a strategic point that i might need to defend later, if it looks like someone is going to try and take one over, i can usually see them early enough to send units or in worst case remove the building so they cann''t use it

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 18:40

I usually put up outposts for defensive purposes...to provide sight for ballistas in towers OR if I''ve taken a large portion of the map and have walled off gaps between the mountains and trees, while my major forces are two or three kingdoms away.

Otherwise, I prefer to deploy 1 pop scout units to provide sight along my borders or for advance scouting.

advantages: they move plus don''t cost as much.

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 19:20

Strategy #2: Building Outposts should NOT b clustered. Keep them about 5-10 hexes apart, for better distance viewing.

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 22:37

Yep, that''s good advice...don''t think I''d build outposts that close.
Even at 10 hexes apart, two outposts would provide overlapping sight radius.

Last Edited : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 22:38

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2007 - 23:29

Strategy #3: Some people build outposts just to spy on you. Retaliate by building your own outposts, then attacking the enemy. (Note: Though not recommended, if you turn the tables, it would foil any other spying plans the enemy would have, and the reason it''s a NR (Not Recommended) is because people may counter and take it back.)

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2007 - 23:16

usually a military force near the border is enough to discourage people from building too close.

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2007 - 23:26

The building system makes that impossible.

Strategy #4: People may build palisides to protect their outposts. Use your own outposts to spy on paliside-protected-outpost (or PPO), destroy the palisides (Walls, if that was an option), then take the Outpost.

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2007 - 23:31

pallisades and walls are iffy at best, especially in large campain maps were they can be bipassed easilly. they mainly stand to delay but if someone bothers to put up a wall stretching the entire gap then it is likely they have no intenssion of attacking, or not much of a military presence in the area and are thus vulnerable. so it does little more than deture or highten the situation

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2007 - 23:33

It may delay the inevitable.

Strategy #5: Outposts play important roles: To seek resources. If you think one is near, plant an outpost to see if it really is, but make sure you defend it.

Padro52
Joined 10/06/2006

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 07:58

I do not think I have ever built pallisades or walls to protect outposts. they do the job themselves. when you see a threat you have 2 to 3 turns to get forces to the area.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 10:09

No Crimson, An 8000 HP wall is NOT an iffy proposition - it will take an opponent a while to hack that down (unless he has 2 - 10 pop cats (which few do). My recommendation is simply that you not count on the wall by itself. For instance - build towers behind the wall and employ large stack balista or markmen into the towers, and throw an outpost out there for visual range - you have defense in every sense of the word at that point (it just takes time to build, and sometimes you don''t have that kinda time).

Jmacattack D~S

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 13:24

Well I''m also in favour of sugars proposal.

I use 1 pop scouts which can move forward and extend my sight ... don''t consume wood (precious for ballis), and they can run away and not be taken over.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 15:41

excellent point, Gueritol - 1 pop scouts are the best method of (SCOUTING) that there is.

LOL

Jmacattack D~S

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 15:47

And we were wondering why on earth Req decided to call them like that, eh?

Medicguy
Joined 6/08/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 15:57

Guer, i don''t agree with that, 1-pops are like spies. They get captured and killed. Outposts are better.

Strategy #6: If you rely on just 1-pop scouts for scouting, then your as good as squashed. Outposts have more hp and, when used properly, are a great way to start, but make sure you have 10-pop units next to them (Rangers garrisoned in the tower)

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 16:06

Come duel with me ... and kill 1 of my scouts.

The problem is that outpost can be built, but not early in the game.

Your proposing spoting resources with your outpost, that means early game ... and I think outpost should not be an early tech/building.

I much rather spend my wood in barracks+archers or ballis.

You are not wrong in the usage of the outpost ... but they are not even close to 1-pop scouts in early stages of the game, and they are not a good tech choice to start.

Even the extra-view-range is cheaper than outpost tech and build.

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 16:18

to jmac''s post in reply to me, i ment it more in this sense, if a wall it to be effective you have to tie down troops to it and they can be bipassed unless you sink alot of money and resources into a continal defence which is well manned fortified and located in a place that give you the advantage in your defence and deployment. It great to delay but in a camp where i face someone equal to me in skill and power i would rather expand my military than build a wall.

zandrade24
Joined 4/05/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2007 - 20:45

i agree with crimson , altho towers are nice to have, pop scouts are cheaper,they moove, and it doesnt hurt to loose them. well that much . plus if taken over it is a disadvantage, expecially if closse enough to ur base or something you dont want them seein . i personally dont use towers . and if i use walls than billistas are fine without towers behind them . ... p.s. crimson.. IM BACK!!!

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.175781 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap