HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.30 APR 2024 00:14  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : Wow is this true!
Padro52
Joined 10/06/2006

Posted : Friday, 16 February 2007 - 20:13

I am getting crushed by scouts against my higher troops. the problem is he can make so many it is like the chinese in the korean war, you can not attack them all so they swarm you and with a lot of Balista behind them there is no defense they can not shred.

two and three thick they come. If you kill of the first you still can not get to the ranged as there are too many others between you and them!

Nebuchadnezer DoC
Joined 9/06/2005

Posted : Friday, 16 February 2007 - 20:39

Biscuit or Iceman?

kingArtur
Joined 30/08/2006

Posted : Friday, 16 February 2007 - 20:51

get urself some ballistas, kiling a path that will lead ur army to his range.

kingArtur
Joined 30/08/2006

Posted : Friday, 16 February 2007 - 20:52

and if u want a better strat how to stop, send me a msg

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 16 February 2007 - 20:53

Well the new system makes enhancing production quickly a valued option again and it has become common practice to enhance the attack and defensive capabilities of basic troops also So yes the scout is and always has been a formidable unit;

but admittedly I think a little too formidable due to the overall movement capabilities of all units now.
That is, as I have said in suggestions, I think the pace of campaigns and duels with respect to time and distance that units can move needs to be slowed a notch or two.

rex

Padro52
Joined 10/06/2006

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 09:08

Actually My problem is I can not produce enough troops fast enough to plug the whole. He overwhelmed my Line twice with back to back turns.

I geuss I can not play any turns faster than one a day. Having kids and a family life I can only log in once a day. Soooooo. I log in and fight around 6 am EST and then again around 5 pm. But he just waits for me to Log then he hits me once and then again 9 hours later. (I am never awake at 4 am)

I have two of my three barricks set to master train But HC takes way too long to build up so they are useless. as sending 14 (4 turns of production) against 200 scouts backed with Archers and one Balista Unit does not work.

I have 4 Balistas and they are (or were) all Maxed at 50 but they could only kill 18 or so scouts at a Pop. this ment I could not forge that trail you speak of.

Padro52
Joined 10/06/2006

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 09:12

Also to give credit where it is due, Sir Ulrich is the Mastermind behind this particular stratagy, one I have not experienced before!

Good Job Mate, We shall meet again and it will not work twice.

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 09:32

You've experienced what I did with Biscuit...the retal screw up also contributed greatly to the benefit of the attacking player with a banked turn...so multiplying your losses.

With the changes made now...that'll help. But having had the opportunity to use those tactics before the changes, it's difficult to recover....further, the habit of upgrading to expert and master troops now can certainly be a liability to one's fighting successes (unlike in the old version)...where now... a player producing mass scouts and ballistas can overwhelm a smaller, less populous but more advanced army.

Last Edited : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 09:34

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 14:59

So why don't you build a bunch of spears or pikes to back up your heavier troops? I would say squires too b/c of their resistance to ranged... but the scouts would eat 'em up.

*_* Biodus *_*

Padro52
Joined 10/06/2006

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 16:03

doing that now or atleast trying to. I did not give up trust me, just telling people of the devistation a TON of scouts can do to you.

Soljah
Joined 7/01/2006

Posted : Saturday, 17 February 2007 - 17:01

i beleive i held of someone for a VEEERY long time by just mass producing spearmen, he was in my base but it took him about another 50 turns to take it over...lol

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Sunday, 18 February 2007 - 03:57

I'm also noticing that troop upgrade to master, expert are now moot, not required.

Games end so quickly that there is no time to do that.

Upgrade to ballis in 1 barrack, with full production upgrades.

Pump out scouts on the other two, with full production upgrades.

Upgrade your att/def to whatever your economy allows.

Don't buy market, don't do anything economy.

Attack, and take them over from your 1st defetead opponent, thus saving.

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Sunday, 18 February 2007 - 12:39

It's not that hard to upgrade to macemen/marksmen. I think balista aren't that good anymore, and with the danger of 5 pop retaliation takers, macemen are awesoooooome.

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Sunday, 18 February 2007 - 13:45

Mace are wiped down like their armor was made out of butter.

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Sunday, 18 February 2007 - 17:22

By what? Scouts? Or balista?

Macemen tear through scouts, and I betcha my marksmen could kill your balista faster than they could kill all of my macemen.

kingArtur
Joined 30/08/2006

Posted : Sunday, 18 February 2007 - 18:11

interesting

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Monday, 19 February 2007 - 02:34

Turn 10, how many maces can you have? That's the whole point.

@ 8 per turn w/upgrade ... that's around 38 (considering you begun turn 5).

How many marks ... Well it would be a bit tough but let us put it like this. But let's say 12 Marks.

Don't think you'll manage any att/def upgrades.

On the other hand ... I could have around 370 scouts in 7 nice stacks or so.

I could have ballista 1 stack of 50.

Plus att/def upgrades.

So ... figure out what will happen, it's still going to be close ... but ... not in the long run.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 19 February 2007 - 13:15

Well I finally reversed it in a Duel, but I think the Haven Island map allowed me to defend a strategic location and while I held the scout hordes at bay with a tower, ballista, pikemen, existing walls and some added palisades, I was able to catch up with squires, falchs and more ballista.

I just started deploying mace too. It's a combination of things though. I beat him to most of the gems, iron and wood, but he dominated with scouts and archers. Then I raised as much gold as I could and I even had to buy a lot of wood at even over 4000 gold.

Finally I had a big enough army to go after his extra resource production and I actually got ahead of him in tech and upgrades although he also had towers and expert weapons and armor, but I don't think he had the troop production I had and I don't think he was able to match me buying wood.

PS:
It's an odd map with lots of gold and gems, but a disproportionate amount of extra iron, wood and stone piles though.

Anyway that seems to be the only way to me (that is to defend a strategic location that allows you to swing in all directions), but again the Haven Island map in the Duels has a sort of Stonehenge of walls in the center that allowed it to be adapted for defence.

rex

Last Edited : Monday, 19 February 2007 - 13:28

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Monday, 19 February 2007 - 15:08

On Turn 10, I wouldn't be attacking.

I'm too lazy to do the math to figure out how many troops I'd have. I'm not even sure I'd have marksmen being produced by turn 10...but since you gave it to me, lets say I did. I'd also have all of my starting troops, and the benefit of a castle.

An upgrade to Castle Walls isn't too expensive, and under the new system, it would take you about 8 turns to get through my walls. Even once you break down my walls, I'll be producing macemen faster than your balista can kill them. Scouts sure can't kill macemen! And by turn 18, I'll DEFINITELY be producing marksmen. Marksmen in towers are a match for balista...and until the marksmen get up to killing power, I can always weaken your balista with archers in towers. I do start with 150 archers, ya know.

All the defender would have to do would be to hold off the scouts/balista attacker until macemen/marksmen are up and running. At that point, your scouts are basically worthless...the mace will eat them up. Your balista will have to use their attacks on the macemen, whereas I would have flexibility...I could use my ranged on either your scouts or on your balista, AND my melee would be good for more than taking up space.

So you're right, it would be close...at first. But in the long run, mass scouts just can't stand up against macemen.

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Monday, 19 February 2007 - 19:50

Sage... it seems you are assuming that the battle will take place just outside or at your castle's walls.

If so, then the attacking player could have some of his troops go to destroy/take over your resource buildings while the others are trying to punch through your wall.

I am not sure how quickly this (disabling your resources) could be done or to what order of magnitude it would effect your ability to purchase new units (namely, maces and marks), but it seems it would definitely put a damper on your strategy in the long run... I think you would absolutely HAVE to break out and recover/protect your resource buildings in order to win.

I sound uncertain about my ideas because I am... I am not a player of your caliber and may be missing something :-P Also, you might tweak/re-hash your strategy once you realized that he was going after your resources as well.

I do not want to bash/insult/degrade anyone or their strategies... I am just trying to make sure all variables/options are considered in this discussion of tactics :-D

*_* Biodus *_*

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148987 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap