HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.4 MAY 2024 17:54  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : blocking armies
Sasquatch
Joined 9/09/2004

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 15:40

so aside from ranged troops (i.e. ballistas), does anyone have any good strategies for combating these large blocking armies that some use (in non-skirm games)?

honestly, who wants to attack a stack of 72 heavy cav?

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 17:11

Well it is a tough call since it will yield way above 1000 in retal. but if he were to attack you it will only be limited to 1000 (plus level points).

So why not put two good stacks of mace to pin him down and put them in defense, do not attack, and meanwhile you let go with marks + comms. or even better tower.

Of course this sounds easier said than done, but you can direct your strike and create a gap between this and his main force, therefore isolating this stack.

Sasquatch
Joined 9/09/2004

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 17:30

yes, good in theory (not so much so in practice)

the other thing, is that it's not just the big stack of heavy cav, it's most of his melee armies protecting his stacks of ballistas.

so i was thinking perhaps fighting fire with fire, big stacks vs big stacks, but gaining the rps advantage. i don't know, i think i may just have to pull back towards my castle and act like a turtle hiding in its shell.

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 17:35

Shave them down with towers + marks + comms (but make sure you can hold them).

And avoid hitting in melee such a big stack.

Sasquatch
Joined 9/09/2004

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 17:38

yes, i left out that by fighting fire with fire, i didn't mean attacking, but blocking my own ranged, and hoping he'd break down and attack my melee (probably won't happen).

still have to have the money to produce said things

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Friday, 29 October 2004 - 17:53

Just remember to use ZOC to your advantage.

You don't need a wall of troops, place them correctly and there can be gaps, but other players stacks can't go through.

And if worst comes to worst, retreat and regroup, but always keep scouting. This is an option that is seldom used, you gaing nothing for sacrificing your stacks (there is no moral stuff, nor nothing). Back out closer to your reinforcements, and this way you salvage and otherwise lost scenarios.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Sunday, 31 October 2004 - 13:49

Doesn't always work - a gapped ZOC tactic fails when someone expends part of their attack to first widen that gap, THEN charge through with no ZOC problem

gueritol
Joined 7/02/2003

Posted : Monday, 1 November 2004 - 06:43

Yes of course, always reinforce potential strike zones, double stacking, and suchs.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Monday, 1 November 2004 - 14:30

Well, it sounds so very obvious, but you'd all be surprised how quickly that safe spot suddenly vanishes in a single battle game turn
And therefore, I suppose that should hold true for campaigns...but of course the mechanics are trickier, and you have more to work with (depending on your log-in rate, of course - once in a 2-turn/day game don't cut it )

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.144531 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap