HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 02:18  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : Wk 4, Lec 2 - "Outside of the game"
CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Saturday, 8 March 2003 - 15:21

Yeah, in theory you can now all win everything. Against the average player, at least - but he's not ranked very high

But do you really want to be one of these people who plays quietly and nothing is ever said or heard of you. Nah...

Then again, if you're reading this, you're already at the forums (or fansite if Pina takes a copy ) so odds are you're fairly active anyway.

Today we go through some...more amusing things

1) How to influence Req

The thing you need to know about Req is he's a busy guy. He's not just in charge of a game with 700 players, but also has a life to lead as well (shocks me too ).
So if you want Req to support or put something in for you, there are a few things you have to do.

First - Suggestions box forum. Don't call it 'Thing' or he'll just give you a filthy look

Second - As already mentioned, Req's a busy guy. He's not like me, he doesn't secretly lay plans for what he'll do in-game while in the middle of a university lecture, he doesn't support bizarre or remote causes (except online gaming ) and he doesn't have time to dream about getting your idea just right. So if you want to get your idea in, you REALLY have to spell it out for him. Say exactly how it'll be implemented, talk about the things that would worry him like server bandwidth and try to decrease his workload as much as possible. Something that almost completely uses existing code/sections is far more likely to go in than more that needs to be written from scratch.

Third - Get everyone else to support it. You don't need to be 'Player of the Month' (in fact, I've never been ) but if you can appease everyone else and come with something that has (or just about has) unanimous support, there's a very real chance of getting it put into the game.

Last but not least, there's always the IRC option - Req's occasionally in there so throw your idea at him see where he finds any faults to close.

2) Other players

Humans are funny animals, but once you've got the basics they're not usually hard to manipulate (you do get the odd irregularity, of course )
Humans like people who support their causes. So if you want someone's favour for a future cause, start buttering them up. A lot of people will support things they don't really like just because friends like them.
They're also creatures of habit. Habits are sometimes broken, but not often. But if you see someone use a certain tactic or act a certain way, chances are you'll see them do it again at a later date. Handy for predicting if they're about to march on you or not, or about to have a go at you in the forums
Most people do reward loyalty. And some take it too far at times
If a guy has worked with another player on 6 consecutive occasions and they both appear in your game, they'll probably co-operate from the start, whether it's 'honourable' or not.
Treaties do need to be spelt very carefully. Everyone has their perception of the universe, and it might not be the same as yours. If there's a chance for mayhem later, phrase your words and treaties so there's NO DOUBT as to what it means. Most out-of-game fights amongst players begin either because of this point or the above (friends/clanmates sticking together a bit too much).
Be consistent. If you get into a sleaze war, your previous actions and reputation should closely resemble your current actions. If you do something in a game that others don't like and they try and thrash you on the forums for it, you'll win every time if you can prove this is the way you've ALWAYS done things and it's THEIR fault for not recognising it
(or, bluntly put, 'this is MY way and it's NOT gonna change - live with it!')

(more)

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Saturday, 8 March 2003 - 15:30

3) Good cop, Bad cop

You should be aware that no living animal (or at least, no natural living animal) does things ENTIRELY for good. It's simply not possible. People give to charity, for example, to feel good or support a cause that helped them.
Just because this is true though, doesn't mean we can't live in a nice universe where people look out for each other.
You can emulate 'altruism' simply by making sure that when you're doing things for yourself, you're either a) helping out others as well or b) at least not harming others.

Why bother? I mean, you already have your way of life, right? Why take any notice of this preaching?
Simple. The help may eventually be returned, or even if it's not - it might help your reputation. Eventually you'll get to a point where being nice is just standard anyway, and helps satiate your 'I must do my bit for humanity' part of yourself. Remember - I'm not asking you to cripple yourself for others, not to put yourself first or proclaim to be a saint - just see if you can do a bit for everyone else (primarily the world immediately around you or directly influencing it) while you're at it. For all I know, after all these 'lectures' some newcomer may proclaim me his own personal 'God', but I'm not really into idolatry
(it has it's own problems and only puts more constraints on you anyway...it's just not worth it! Leave being 'God' to 'God' - he's good at it )

From Week 5, we're moving out of the 'advanced principles' and moving into 'expert' territory. The experts of the game are ESPECIALLY invited to take part, as we could end up with something that improves the standard of play or leads to improvements in the game itself

tarim
Joined 18/10/2002

Posted : Saturday, 8 March 2003 - 22:18

This is the important stuff CTD.I've not been here long but thru perserverance i've managed to get some of my suggestions implemented:The clan page and the stats page may be minor parts to the game but i felt they were important and didn't let my initial asks ride.

Remember,we're all beta testers so never put yourselves down...unless it's worth a cheap laugh!

tarim
Joined 18/10/2002

Posted : Saturday, 9 August 2003 - 22:03

wow,amazed i actually typed this!

tackedlugnut
Joined 6/09/2003

Posted : Saturday, 24 April 2004 - 01:47

*bump*

kingrichard
Joined 13/11/2002

Posted : Friday, 2 July 2004 - 03:42

*Bump* for our Newbies

Genghis Bob
Joined 11/11/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 23 March 2005 - 18:56

Bite

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.168945 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap