HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.7 MAY 2024 16:02  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : Chapter 8: Balance your army
RedTony
Joined 16/11/2001

Posted : Saturday, 26 October 2002 - 11:18

Your kingdom has evolved... your old spearmen and swordsmen can yet be replaced by newer, more powerful armies.

You have a wide variety of unit types to choose. Which one would you take?

(IMHO)
It's clear high level range units (marksmen, ballista...) are pretty powerful, so u should have as many of them in your army as you can, producing big stacks of archers meanwhile.

Twould be good to leave 2 barracks to produce ranged units and the last one for heavy cavalry. Pikemen and macemen are weaker than swordlike units against ranged attacks, and thus u could decimate them b4 running through enemy's castle with ur heavy cav.

Particularly, I'm fond of a 3-unit-type army. Leaving one of my barracks to produce ranged units (so I prefer to build many archers and ballistas soon, as marksmen are slower to build) another one for falchioners and the last one for squires. They're not the most powerful units, but your ranged units (especially ballistas) can fare well against marksmen, for they have range 9 (8 marks.) if u shoot first u can keep them at bay.
Falchioners are not the most powerful unit, but as they are fast and hard-hitting, if u an flank your enemy with a decent falchioner army he's lost. Beware, though, for they're the only units capable of punishing enemy cavalry as there're no pikemen/macemen units in your army.
Then your squires, pretty tough against ranged attacks, fast to build and with good attack ratings, can stand against almost everything in def. mode. I use them as my last def. line, moving them in normal mode behind falchioners when enemy's troops weaken.

Group your few old swordsmen-spearmen remaining in two huge stacks as well, so u can use them as reserve.
---
A good idea is also divide your three barracks into two battlegroups, one barrack producing marksmen, another one producing heavy cavalry, and the last one producing both marksmen and HC. (Or the three barracks producing both->Not a good idea, u'd have to upgrade all barracks to master archery and melee, good point hll)

That's all... N00b's advices I fear, but it worked pretty well for me, didn't play WoL since jan and now I'm ranked 1st in the three games I played this month. (Let's see how longer will this luck last)

Red!

Last Edited : Saturday, 26 October 2002 - 15:11

hll
Joined 3/08/2002

Posted : Saturday, 26 October 2002 - 11:34

your troops should be balanced, good point, but I don't think the 3rd barrack should produce half on half.
as you see, developing barracks you have 3 directions higher melee, higher ranged skills or siege. developing units cost alots of resource, if you are going to produce both marks and HC, that means you need to upgrade that same barrack into master lvl melee and master lvl raged, that is too much waste.
I think the high lvl troops has certain advantage and disadvantage, it's very hard to say which one is the best in the game. There is no best strategy in the choices, that is why we should stop thinking in the terms of best strategy. Instead of that we could think in term of best response, if you see your opponent is running with alots of ranged, squire, falch or scouts shall be a good choice. if you see your opponen has HC as main force, macemen is probably good, etc.

BigAmigo
Joined 15/10/2001

Posted : Saturday, 26 October 2002 - 20:50

Very wise hll.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Sunday, 27 October 2002 - 13:29

Having said that - maybe that's too late? Plenty of times I've seen a force coming - but because of it's size and the late stage in the game, it's just tooooo late :-)

RedTony
Joined 16/11/2001

Posted : Sunday, 27 October 2002 - 17:37

That's the point why u should balance your army from the beginning... in the worst case u can always gain some time.

Red

BigAmigo
Joined 15/10/2001

Posted : Sunday, 27 October 2002 - 18:47

I usually start with a planed army consisisting of 1 dominate type and 1 subordinate type. I make this decision on my opponent. If I have played them before, I know what they like to make and use. The thing is to have a plan and stick with it, but remain felxible enough to react to your opponent. Most people go archers and scouts early and upgrade to ballistas and marks. IF so I found adding a few pikes or squires to teh mix really screws up their day.

RedTony
Joined 16/11/2001

Posted : Sunday, 27 October 2002 - 19:46

I still can remember your huge pikemen army in a Last Man Standing Game, think u were fighting Genghis Khan and Dorw Empirez. El_Cid took me out with a massive light cav. attack (how I miss those huge cavalry armies...)

Red!

Bones222
Joined 16/07/2003

Posted : Saturday, 9 August 2003 - 18:47

bringing to front page for reference, plz dont post

Lt. Pain
Joined 27/04/2003

Posted : Saturday, 9 August 2003 - 21:46

Killerdude
Joined 1/03/2002

Posted : Friday, 30 April 2004 - 10:47

*bump

kingrichard
Joined 13/11/2002

Posted : Friday, 2 July 2004 - 03:48

*Bump* for our Newbies

Genghis Bob
Joined 11/11/2001

Posted : Wednesday, 23 March 2005 - 19:01

+Bump+

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.144531 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap