HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 01:36  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : Chapter 4: Resources Management
Genming
Joined 22/04/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 03:39

Like it or not, playing this game sometimes required micro-management especially when it comes to resources. Since training additional troops required these resources, once you run out of them, you are in deep trouble.

Many players including me always find that there are certain resources that is always lacking. For me, I always find woods lacking. Why? Simply because I like to train lots of range troops. Range troops like archers, marksman and ballista takes up a lot of woods. On the other hand, players who prefer to use melee troops would find metal lacking while those who like to build lots of defensive structure would find stones lacking.

It is important that you never allow one resources to get too low at any one time and that you do not just concentrate on one type of troops.

Let me give an example, player A is an expert in using marksman and has 2 barracks chunking out marksmen all the time. Within those 2 barracks there are 200 marksmen ready to be deploy. However due to a lack of woods, the deployment rate is slower than the creation rate of the marksmen. Player B then attacked and took over the last remaining woodmill of Player A. This move alone effectively destroyed all 200 remaining undeployed marksmen (plus any troops that need wood to deploy) belonging to Player A cause now there is no way Player A going to be able to deploy these troops. And the worse part being is if Player B come along and took over these 2 barracks, Player B would gain an extra 200 marksmen. A single move like this would usually means a victory for the attacker.

Thus always keep a well-balanced troops and dun really too much on a single resources. And guard your mines and mills well.

Chiron
Joined 19/09/2000

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 04:10

Don't forget about the market. Markets are very handy because you can sell off excess resources and buy the resources that you are low on.
In your examle if the player's last woodmill is taken-over that does not necessarily mean that he will not be able to deploy those marksmen. If he has other excess resources he can sell them and buy the wood that he needs..

dby
Joined 30/03/2002

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 08:44

Not if the market is also destroyed.

Silva Husky
Joined 13/01/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 09:09

Buy when prices are down, sell when prices are up!

heheh...investment tip!

But the main thing is, stockpile the necessary/required amount of resources, this accounts for the buy/selling of them too!

If you don't need stone, sell it....heheh....kill the market before someone else does!

Genming
Joined 22/04/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 10:59

Well market is a way out only if you have more than 1 market and has done enough trading research. Else with 1 market you can only buy at most 200 woods at any one time and the cost is horribly high. So unless you have 3-4 markets with market technology all research, it is extremely hard to get a good trade in the market.

Which led to a question... does making a market within the castle compound a good idea? Or does it affect movement within the castle too much to be a good idea?

Last Edited : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 11:09

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 13:49

With trading techs 500 is possible. Multiple markets only serve as backup now...

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 16:03

Right CTDXXX, only 1 market is needed along with the additional techs to trade 'at almost cost prices'.

I have built a market inside my castle, but usually it's my 2nd castle, not my home castle...hasn't hendered me on movement, and if your stone or wood resources are low, you can 'sell back' the walls near the market place and still have a barrier against invading troops.

One other comment, when player B took over the barracks with 200 marksmen inside, he would only gain 100...not the 200, (unless changed recently)...you only 'inherit' 50% of troops inside a captured barracks.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 17:45

For those who don't know it yet, the market is better than I've ever seen it - imagine selling 500 gems at 90% price...only 250 transaction cost :-)

Genming
Joined 22/04/2001

Posted : Friday, 6 September 2002 - 20:04

Oh they only gain 50% of the troops inside the barracks? Sorry for the mistake then. Did not know know too that market can give back 90% cost rate of resources with technology now. I tried not to use marketplace much in the past games. Well look like I just have to destroy/capture all surrounding enemy mines and mills now during a seige.

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Saturday, 7 September 2002 - 09:57

Yes, 50% of troops in barracks when captured, and this can be a nice bonus for risking your neck and moving out quickly to conquer.

The market(being much different that the old version, improved, in my opinion)should be a key target now when attacking another kingdom. Even after taking the resource bldgs, a kingdom under seige can use the marketplace(to trade/sell his reserves) to secure needed resources while under attack. I target the marketplace first and then capture the resource bldgs, in hopes of preventing the deployment of more troops by the kingdom under seige. Of course, I do this only if his forces are superior or equal to my attacking force, otherwise, straight for the castle and get the bldgs after he's dead.

Genming
Joined 22/04/2001

Posted : Sunday, 8 September 2002 - 00:31

I see I see. Guess more knowledge to me for this topic now. I will change tactics accordingly then.

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Saturday, 5 October 2002 - 14:49

there is also a hidden research in the market that not many people are aware of.
After you research the tech Market wares you are then given two more techs, advanced trading and resource generation.
Resource generation is expensive but well worth the cost. Every turn it generates a random number of gems, stone, wood, and metal to a max of 25. This tech not only helps you get those resources you need when you are under seige and have lost most of your resource buildings, but also helps you if you have more than one market seeing how each market produces a random number of resource per each market.

So if you had 3 markets with resource generation researched you would be producing a min of 25 EACH resource to a MAX of 75 EACH resource.

Also with the market you have the opption of Tax reform which gives and additional 1000 gold.

I personally see that the market is a very valuable building to any wise player not only for trading of 200 to 500 resources at 250 gold per trans-action, but the extra 1000 gold and the random number of resources it gives each turn.

jeslin74
Joined 18/08/2002

Posted : Saturday, 5 October 2002 - 20:54

i'm sorry ...... but how do you see whether the prices in the market is up or down?

Raptor
Joined 15/08/2001

Posted : Monday, 7 October 2002 - 03:17

the market is stable on its own but when other player sell a resources the price of it goes down andwhen plays buy the price goes up all resources start out at 50k and gems at 20k if the quanity is over that amount the price of it is cheaper than it was before if the amount is under people are buying that resource so the prices of it increase.... i hope i was clear and didnt confuse you.

jeslin74
Joined 18/08/2002

Posted : Monday, 7 October 2002 - 09:52

tks Raptor

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Monday, 7 October 2002 - 23:12

Not forgetting the graph button next ot each resource on the market screen, which will give you a 'game history' of the resource price...

hll
Joined 3/08/2002

Posted : Sunday, 2 February 2003 - 03:44

savetuba, it's not true. having multiple marketplace won't give you a higher resource generation output. I just tried it in one of my game.

CTDXXX
Joined 19/11/2001

Posted : Sunday, 2 February 2003 - 13:42

How did I miss that...? I should have said it long ago...!

Well - fact remains - second market is only good as backup. Has been for a while.

If you really want to protect it, put a little wall around it :-)

savetuba
Joined 5/11/2001

Posted : Monday, 3 February 2003 - 13:44

it worked befor the change...MY bad, sorry.

Bones222
Joined 16/07/2003

Posted : Saturday, 9 August 2003 - 18:41

bringing to front page in order, plz dont post

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.143066 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap