HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.29 APR 2024 01:37  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums
Forum : General Chit Chat
<<   1 2 3   >>
AuthorTopic : We need a miracle at Waronline
TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 31 October 2014 - 12:10

We're up to 14.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 2 November 2014 - 13:41

Look Mog,
it's common sense ...
when you only have 12 active members, you shouldn't try to fill 20 player campaigns.

This is sure to draw a wise crack, but *"Rome wasn't built in a day"*, so you should play with the cards you're dealt and start small with quick filling small camps.

rex

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Sunday, 2 November 2014 - 15:27

TR, I haven't tried to fill a 20 player game since I was successful doing so when we had more than 20 players. Now that we have less than 20 players I'd really kinda have to be an idiot to try to fill them, wouldn't I?

You yourself are free to start smaller games, you have that power, you know. I do it because I see people needing games to play other than the system games offered that no one joins, so you should make some four player games up as a host. You can even not play in them by un-joining the game, it will still be there for others to join.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 2 November 2014 - 18:38

Mog. the last time I saw you trying to fill a 20 player game was not long ago and there may have been 20 members or so, but I can't recall;

So yes, because your response is sort of calling ME an idiot for suggesting that you would do such an idiotic thing, I have to say that yes, you did seem like an idiot to me at the time trying to fill a 20 player game with so few members available

And it did seem to take a veritable eternity with me not even knowing if you did finally fill it or finally gave up on it.

PS:
My real life is still like a juggler on a high wire and I can't take my mind off of my footing or my balls.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 2 November 2014 - 18:57

As far as I can tell *"Campaign_3350"* must be the 20 player game I mentioned above ...
it seems to have had a few in actives and quitters.

rex

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 07:52

There were 26 active players when mog attempted the 20 player campaign initially, 22 when he filled it.

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 09:14

Like I said once before,if you make some flyers about the game and pass them out to students at various schools,and put up some posters in store fronts like comic book shops,tattoo parlors,book stores,libraries. We should be able to pick up some more members.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 11:26

Thank you, Doodoomite, good idea. How many have you put up so far?

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 12:29

I will make a postcard that tells the waronline story in brief and directs folks here with an explanation of what to expect. I'll post the wording here first for criticism.

When it's printed I can send packets of the cards to those of you who would put them around your towns in appropriate places, like game stores, libraries, wherever seems appropriate. The cards are pretty cheap to print, I find, I use them for advertising my art shows.

I'll keep you folks informed here as I go.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 14:20

Also, to make clear,

The game had one inactive at the beginning of the game. All quitters quit after they lost their respective final battles. No one quit at the beginning.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 - 15:22

(Here's what I wrote… what do you think of this as postcard back, with a nice color image of a fight on the front?)

There's a fantastic strategy game online that is slowly fading away, and it's a shame.

The game is named Waronline.net and was designed and programmed by an Australian fellow who lives in Sydney, named Alex.

The game was first online in 1999 and soon afterward became the first game on the web to use a real time Flash-driven map, so one could move troops around and see them in their new place immediately. Very much like a tabletop strategy game of an earlier era, Waronline is a medieval themed multi-player turn-based browser game. Since it was designed to run on slow old modems it is very quick now, except it doesn't run on mobile phones and that is because:

Alex was a teenager when he began the game and had been programming scenarios and weapons for versions of Quake, so he was up on current web design and server mechanics. He hoped the game would be his fortune and it very easily might have been, it was popular and growing in active members. Free, but with some perks to those who became members, (although none of those perks affected gameplay) it had kingdom management campaigns with up to 12 players, clans of members who fought wars over clan honor and also two person campaign-like duels and two player short, tactical-only battles. Players competed to have the highest score in various categories and highest overall score at the site.

Meanwhile as the web grew faster and slicker, big multi-player games with development teams, programmers and money managers began to take over the time of most new players on the web. Waronline is a slower-paced game, best for those who enjoy thinking games, like chess, over twitch games like Bloody Battle Duty Call Of Honor.

Alex tried many different flavors of the game to find the best way to be fair to everyone in a multi-player campaign style game. Ultimately he decided to use a turn-based, rather than tick-based game system. Since people had been logging in constantly to keep up with the other players as points accumulated for actions in the tick-based version, it was making people crazy, staying up all hours to make minute moves. However, a lot of players had the system down and for that reason and others, left the game entirely when Alex made the change in about 2005. Then he lost a lot more players getting that to work smoothly.

It wasn't the best way to do it, but that's what happened. Alex got married, had three kids and is programming for the school system now. He still has Waronline running on a home server, and it is a really fun, intense game to learn. It isn't easy to master, and there are even things that don't make any sense still lurking in the corners! But, there are still a tiny handful of veteran players hanging on for dear life and hoping to attract some new players again. We will help all we can to allow you to learn to play, we'll answer questions or even mow your lawn. If you like slow-paced, semi-broken, old-style war games, this is the game for you! At one point there were about 1,000 active players. Currently it is hovering just under… 20. Come visit, play in a duel or campaign or battle and leave a message in the forums for us. You may love it.

www.waronline.net

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 04:40

1. The changesthat doomed the game were not during but after 2005, maybe LOD remembers exactly when.
2. 1.6k is a lot closer to the top number of actives reached, which is significant when compared to 1k.

Ill read again when i get some time.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 07:33

Judging from my game history around spring 2006

Last Edited : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 07:36

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 09:59

Other than that, ok? Tone is good? Might get people interested? I'm pushing the idea that it is underpopulated here and a person could join right up and get trained.

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 11:17

sorry ,my opinion is it has way to much detail on a stranger that no one will have any interest in . to be honest even i couldn't bothered to read it all ,and i respect the guy.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 12:32

Mog. almost a ditto of Hit's post ...
just too long with too much uninteresting detail.

PS:
UB, the $64. question is:

How long did it take to fill?

My last free4all 4 player camp took less than a day to fill.

rex

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 13:59

TR, what is it with getting on me about the 20 player game anyway? Just leave it alone, ok? You make and play the games you want. I made a 20 player game and got people to join it, was that an error of some kind to you?

OK, I appreciate the other comments. I'll work on it, try to cut out the details, but we can't expect to draw people here with lies about the game being huge or working easily.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 16:17

""Mog

Joined 5/02/2004
"TR, what is it with getting on me about the 20 player game anyway? Just leave it alone, ok? You make and play the games you want. I made a 20 player game and got people to join it, was that an error of some kind to you?

OK, I appreciate the other comments. I'll work on it, try to cut out the details, but we can't expect to draw people here with lies about the game being huge or working easily."
"

You asked some questions in between your lack of patience with me, So I'll just answer one of them ...
Yes, if you consider yourself to be the host of wol, imho it took too long to fill that 20 player game while members would have been kept more interested playing instead of waiting.

Don't forget you put a few question marks directed at me within your post above.

rex

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 17:19

I'm glad you have expressed your opinion, TR. That's what a free and open debate is all about. Keep 'em coming!

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 - 22:52

By the way, I am not the host here, I am the forum moderator and the administrator. Requiem is the host.

<<   1 2 3   >>
Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.142090 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap