HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.20 APR 2024 19:56  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 1 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : Quick Draw Must Go
TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 28 June 2012 - 02:23

In my humble opinion having to make moves at the same time as your opponent is besides the movement bug the worst feature of the game.
Can we suggest an alternative method?

For an example the only way being more quick to make one's moves should come into play is by attacking and then being first to choose a time slot for one's next turn.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Sunday, 1 July 2012 - 23:55

Another possibility is to be able to pre-program one's moves (i.e. I don't know how it's done, but because it came to my mind, I'm fairly certain that I've heard of it before).

Anyway, the idea is to assign all the moves of one's units in advance somehow and then when a set time arrives, all the units are auto-moved ...

Adjustments can be made to units where attacks are missed or locations are blocked afterwards.

rex

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Monday, 2 July 2012 - 15:54

"Anyway, the idea is to assign all the moves of one's units in advance somehow and then when a set time arrives, all the units are auto-moved"

But, surely this just escalates the quick draw to a "computer quick draw"? Both players program their moves in advance, then the computer has to try to do them both simultaneously...

"Adjustments can be made to units where attacks are missed or locations are blocked afterwards."
What "adjustments" do you suggest, exactly?

I have various ideas for simultaneous move games that I'm planning on implementing in a HTML/Canvas/Javascript game. One is the concept of man-on-man marking, that is, when programming moves, you can either choose to "advance" to a position (keeping your formation), or to "pursue" a specific unit. (Useful for cavalry running down swordsmen)

The game engine then resolves everyone's programmed moves simultaneously, moving one hex at a time. Stacking limits would be observed by the engine, so if you try to make your units "cross-over", or squeeze through a narrow gully, it will slow them down. (Some overstacking would be allowed for units moving along a road, at a risk of being more vulnerable to archers targeting that hex).

Perhaps divide the turn into one hundred segments and advance each unit one hex once it has accumulated enough movement points (cavalry would accumulate movement points faster than slower units)...

This would be sent to the browser as an animation (coded in JSON), so the player can see exactly how the moves resolved. (Otherwise the resolution could be confusing if you only see the end point).

There wouldn't be separate "fight" actions, you would automatically fight whenever you are adjacent to the enemy and your orders are to try to occupy its hex.

If you spend the entire turn adjacent, a lot of combat would go on and a lot of damage done. If you have to move a long way to close, melee units would not do any damage until they are adjacent, (during which time they would continue to take damage from ranged units). Special bonuses would be given to charging cavalry and especially to faster troops pursuing fleeing slower troops.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 2 July 2012 - 16:31

Well I've thought of some things like:
after assigning moves to units the computer would allow the opposing units to move in turn, that is, even moving them in the order that their movement was assigned.

However, there would be missed attacks by ranged units and also by melee because it just may be that because of moving the units in turn, the targets may no longer be at the targeted location;

So, the only thing I can think is that if units still have a green or orange light, they can either be manually moved or be assigned again or just left until next regular turn.

PS:
Sounds like you've got some good ideas.
A friend made me aware of a game where you get an e-mail when it's your turn.

rex

Last Edited : Wednesday, 18 July 2012 - 13:16

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 23 July 2012 - 02:18

rex

Last Edited : Saturday, 4 August 2012 - 00:25

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148438 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap