HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.28 MAR 2024 19:43  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 1 (1)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : what needs to be done
Bossredneck
Joined 16/05/2012

Posted : Sunday, 20 May 2012 - 14:51

ok we need to think of a way to keep players and how to get some new ones in the game. i remember when i first came to this game back in 07 there were about a 100 active players. i know i took a 3 years vac. not all my choose but i am back now and going to stay. but the question is what can we do to keep the players and how can we get some back and keep them?

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 02:32

This has been discussed many a time. and there doesn't seem to be an answer. Those of us that fully appreciate the game know that there isn't anything out there that compares to our demands . I've tried suggesting to other gamers on other game sites ,and they're mainly young .
They seem to think it sounds boring taking turns to act out military manouvres ,though this is the basis of original wargaming . so it's a mystery .. other (like minded ) people that i've introduced to it have given it a go ,but there must have been something about it they didn't like .
Maybe it just hasn't got the glitz and glam of these games that have all the graphics etc ,but we know what we want . I have to say it seems to have gradually become busier over the last year with new people enjoying it or like yourself returning after busy private issues in your life have been completed.

Bossredneck
Joined 16/05/2012

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 02:39

i some what agree. when i started there were only a few that whould help new players. After i was on a while and got to be known by some of the vets plus a good rivaly with a whole clan and the clan i was in. we all got to be known. I think we could help many of the new players out to get them to stay and recuit very heavily it could help.

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 06:06

Req or someone else should invest some money into an advertising campaign. This game can be advertised in small,independent newspapers and mags. Also in Comic book and games shops,tattoo parlors,skate parks,coffee houses and internet cafes. Can also be introduced at small street festivals and flea markets. And Tee shirts. Flyers can also be mailed to people who subscribe to online game sites,like X-box live or Gamestop. If someone paid me a small salary for my time,I would personally go out on foot and introduce this game to a lot of poeple. I'm sure I can get at least 1 person per day to join the site.

Last Edited : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 06:08

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 06:29

But at what cost?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 07:03

One of the biggest problems is that when folks enter a game site, they expect to be able to play a game;
they don't expect to have to join a game queue and wait several days for the game to start;
So when they enter the site, they should just be auto-dumped into the PG to get their feet weight.

rex

Last Edited : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 07:05

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 08:41

Requiem started this site with the hopes that it would catch on and keep growing. People would pay to be members and he could advertise. He wouldn't have to work a day job and could devote himself to working on this and other games. He was in his early twenties, a good web programmer and had experience with game programming.

Now, Requiem is in his mid-thirties, has a wife and two children and a house. He has a business writing and maintaining software for an Aussie school system in Sydney. He was partnered for years but they broke up a while back and he is going it on his own. In other words, really busy.

He was (and may be still) working on War of Kings, the successor to this game. He wanted to further his ideas about online gaming. He is a board gaming fan and was moving toward a somewhat different gaming system than on Waronline. He tested a few of his concepts on this game and I think that may have been one of the reasons he lost a lot of active players, he was kind of shoehorning stuff in that didn't really help this game so much as prove to himself what the next game could operate like.

All that being said, the suggestion box is a sad little department these days since there is no development going on. You can suggest all you want! Whee! Let's have gold uniforms for the swordsmen and pink bunny outfits for the Knights! Yay!

Keep suggesting stuff, though, Requiem may come back and utilize your idea at some point. Don't hold your breath is my advice. I have been bugging him to do some things for YEARS and... sometimes he does them.

Dumping newbies in a PG game isn't a bad idea at all. Sink or swim.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 11:38

Dumping the noobs into the PG is a brilliant idea even.
Make it so

Trotsky
Joined 13/07/2009

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 11:58

Excellent idea.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 12:25

Emailed to Req,

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Monday, 21 May 2012 - 20:08

Marketing is what is required. Why don't you all help, by tweeting a link to this site and sharing it on Facebook? Encourage your friends to spread the word too.

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Tuesday, 22 May 2012 - 02:14

There if a facebook group BTW ,will find link
www.facebook.com/groups/18391908327/

Last Edited : Tuesday, 22 May 2012 - 02:27

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 22 May 2012 - 08:26

I would advertise the game myself,for at least $200.00 a month. If Req was willing to sell me at least a 40% to 50% stake in the game,or sell me programming rights,I could get some friends of mine,that know programming,to improve this game,and maybe move it on a bigger platform to make a decent profit. I know he wanted this game to stay simple,but I think it has the potential,to really become a major popular game.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 - 13:49

Requiem thinks TaurusRex's idea of putting new players right into the lower level proving grounds is a good idea, he just expressed his observation that making it happen is harder than liking it! I hope he goes for it, it's a good idea, it would probably keep 50% of new players at least long enough to actually get to do SOMETHING on a map. Even if they got wiped out immediately, that's fun too!

So, let him know you like the idea, it helps to gang up on people. Wait, did I say that?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 - 23:29

It's fairly obvious because the problem isn't so much getting new folks to come here;
We get new faces here almost everyday;
So the problem is more getting them to stay.

If he could also add right into that newbie PG game a few on screen text instructions to help get them started like:
1) Click on *"Tech Center"* to increase your income
2) Click on *"Upgrades"* to make available stronger troops
3) Click near your Commandeer on the castle floor to build

That should be enough to get them interested enough to start trying things on their own.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 24 May 2012 - 23:31

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 - 04:03

thats an excellent idea tr because i remember when i started it took a little while to get to grips with things ..

but i've got a different slant on things -
maybe it's just a simple case of being ,not just in the wrong market, but being between 2 wrong markets ...i mean
Suppose we say a visiting game freak thats hunting for the games that are just compose of data and probability ,,as far as i understand they dont have much in the way of moving graphics .. WoL t probably wouldn't appeal to them , as sometimes moving your armies around can be infuriating ,especially to a newbie ..

Second is those that like arcade style graphics , then this game also wouldn't appeal them...

So it's a case of where to advertise the game ,,,trotsky did have the idea of 'boardgamegeek' a while ago,i did register with them but didn't submit our information yet ,,but that was a great idea and may still be worth doing .......However ....i did get an email from them saying they had a security breach with logins and passwords . so be careful anyone thinking about having a look.

or as i've said before there's just too many games nowadays on the internet and not enough people to play them all ...and unless your an entrepeneur like facebook man and create something everyone likes then well ,,i say no more.

Last Edited : Friday, 25 May 2012 - 04:10

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 - 11:12

This game doesn't need 100,000 players active, although that would be amazing. If we have a few hundred here then the game is far more lively, clans are useful to join and games start quickly. Getting back to where it was a few years ago isn't that impossible, just a few hundred dedicated players and we can go on forever!

WE like it, others can too.

Bossredneck
Joined 16/05/2012

Posted : Sunday, 27 May 2012 - 11:53

I agree MOG since i have been back i am the only one from my old clan left. but i believe it can get back to that again.

uk_Ronin
Joined 4/05/2006

Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 - 20:37

As an outsider I don't know enough to point out specific issues, but it might help to have a bigger picture view.

Go to HOME > General News. The latest news is from August 2011 to say that something is broken.

Go to HOME > Latest Updates. The most recent update was from October 2008.

To any casual observer, myself included, it looks like the game is dead. Certainly not being actively developed. The reasons for that seem numerous and legitimate, but you can't run a successful online game that way.

It's a testament to the community here that it's still going; but what percentage of your time is spent in games compared to in this forum?

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 - 09:32

really good point uk-Ronin . and yes this forum is not at all very 'new user friendly' . It's only once you have been through all the forum catagories that you can see new post indications. and the sticky threads are very old and very rarely added to . Hope to see you stick around , with a bit of perseverence at start it does become very enjoyable, hopefully you'll be here to stay . This is a fun ,flexible and friendly site . Glad you got this far so far , that is worthy of praise itself. Those of us that are here have had pleasure from this game for year upon year , hope you do to.

1 2   >>
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148438 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap