HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.7 MAY 2024 00:51  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Bug Reports   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Bug Reports
AuthorTopic : "Who's Online" Reading Inaccurate
Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 - 13:25

So it seems to me that the "Who's Online" fuction doesn't quite work how it should. From my understanding, what it's SUPPOSED to do is show every player who has made an action on the site in the past 15 minutes. This means clicking a link anywhere on the site, be it for opening/joining a game, reading/making a forum post, viewing the Who's Online itself, moving a unit in a game... any activity at all.

Now while it DOES do that, it also seems to peroidically refresh your time as active if you stay logged in with the window open but do NOT use the site.

The past couple of days, I've been doing this. I'd log on in the morning and take my duel turns, and let the window sit there while I go and start the rest of my day. come back a couple hours later and take more turns if they're ready, then leave for a few more hours before returning. Now I did this assuming that 16 minutes after I left, I would disappear from the online list since I wasn't using the site.

But much to my surprise, I received several angry PMs and chat invites from my duel opponents, demanding that I take my turn, since I've been actively using the site for the past 3-4 hours! At first I thought they kept coming online in the 15 minute gap after I left and thought I was on, sending the chat invite after I was gone, which is why I got it on return... but to hear that I was supposedly on all day long was a bit of a shock to day the least.

I kinda felt harrassed by these messages until sugarleo explained in detail what he saw. He said my last activity was usually that very minute at every instance during the day that he checked. He also said I sometimes appeared 2 or 3 times in the list with other instances being a minute or two ago for the last activity. He said never once did I go beyond 10 minutes since my last activity according to the site.

This now makes a bit of sense when I factor in that I see LOD as active practically all day long, even though he doesn't play. It's not reasonable to expect that he's actually clicking somewhere on the site every single minute... he probably refreshes at random points of time to see if there are any new forum messages or PMs. But he said he leaves his browser open all day and his computer on all the time... so that creates the "always on" effect for him as well.

So yeah... just a note to anyone who's dueled me and been upset with me. I honestly was NOT there. The Who's Online is broken and I'll try to close my window when I leave from now on. I'm actually gonna start by just closing the tab and seeing if that's good enough. If I still don't drop from the list, I guess I'll hafta manually log out each time.

But watch out for this bug, everyone. It can make people very angry.

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 13:11

There 'may' indeed be a bug with the system....however, LOD and I did a check yesterday and what you've explained isn't necessarily true.

I asked LOD to watch my 'last action' minute doing the test. I left the game (staying logged in, and window open), just took NO action...as you've noted, ie, refreshing a page, checking forums, moving troops, changing from one game to another, ect...
I remained away (remember logged in, and window open) coming back after about 20 minutes. LOD observed the listing and it appeared to work as I've always known it to. As minutes ticked off, I worked down the list...showing my 'last action' time as it should, until the 16th minute mark and dropped off the list.

So...appears to be working perfectly (as it should), perhaps someone else can run another test if they'd like to verify.

Li, maybe something unique happened in your case, but after running the test, it appears to be working properly. If a player is logged in and takes any action they remain current on the list.

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 13:58

that's so strange... because it does this to me without fail. it wasn't just that one time... but it apparently happened the 2-3 days in a row in which I stayed logged in with the site open. people insisted that I remain active for 3-4 hours straight when that was litterally impossible.

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 14:47

Out of interest does my name stay as I never log out

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 16:59

I think you misunderstood me Sugar. I said you were lited as active 12:04 first then 12:08 12:09 and so on. Ei: you were listed as active all the time as time went by. No climbing down the ladder as the time of your alleged actions followed the clock even though you didn't do anything.

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 19:22

What LOD?
Hwatta, maestro and I just checked it again....it's working perfectly.
You can be logged in with the window open but take no action and you'll work down the list (if there's enough people on to make a list), until 16 minutes pass from your last 'action' and then drop from the list.

And to your question, Harold...No, your name doesn't stay on the list...

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 - 21:22

LOD's name tends to stay there though

sugarleo
Joined 4/05/2002

Posted : Monday, 21 March 2011 - 09:24

Cause he's always here!

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Monday, 21 March 2011 - 10:18

Thats not true I'm away at times like when Im asleep, even lods sleep, occationally

Back To Bug Reports   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.166016 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap