HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.20 APR 2024 05:02  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : Building Placement
Bahlum
Joined 29/01/2011

Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 - 07:25

Seems like no one likes to talk about strategy and tactics? Its just a game, consider it making playing against new players more challenging by helping them out.

Market Place:

So I was reading around these forums and it looks like people think the Market Place building is useless after you get Government and Empire tech. I was thinking it is actually worth using to block off paths you don't want people taking as its fast to build, takes up 4 cells and much cheaper than a Barracks.

Building next to neutral "Unknown" units:

I thought we weren't allowed to build next to "enemy" units, but I was able to build a Military Acadamy in one of my games and so I got to thinking I could actually use that to help slow down my enemies from reaching me. I don't know if this is supposed to be allowed, and it seems likely its not supposed to happen, but I don't see it on the "bugs" thread.

Maps and Castle Palisades/Walls:

I'm not familiar with most of the maps, but at least on the campaign I'm currently in it seems more cost effective at the beginning of the game to destroy your palisades (stone walls if you upgraded) for money and strategically place your tech buildings and a few defensive structures around choke points the mountains and trees form. On open maps like the proving grounds games this probably isn't a good idea, nor is it a good idea if you are surrounded by possible enemies in the early game. Still, turning some or all of your starting wall into money on certain maps seems like a reasonable option.

I'm sure there is more to discuss about building placement, but these are just a few that I could think of at the moment on the little amount of sleep I have. waronline.net/contact/chat/tongue.gif

Hope it gets more lively in this section...

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 - 11:33

The only problem with building markets to block off areas is that it is expensive and can be taken over. It sure would work well if you need to block off a large area quickly, but if you're talking about a small choke point or something palisades are much cheaper and can't be taken.

The unknown thing probably should be a bug based on what it has been in the past, but then again Req might have changed it sometime in the recent past. What really is nice that if you build buildings next to unknown troops they can't be taken by other players unless those unknowns are killed first. I've used that in duels a couple of times.

I'll share a secret... I always tear down my castle walls and towers in all of my duels. Like you said they are practically useless unless you're surrounded by numerous enemies or in very open terrain. The early in game gold boost should be enough for you to never worry about defending your castle from an immediate neighbor.

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 2.390625 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap