HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.29 APR 2024 16:14  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : REQ
Foster
Joined 26/10/2005

Posted : Monday, 27 December 2010 - 22:55

return this game to its former glory!PLEASE

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Thursday, 30 December 2010 - 11:20

More people would come back or either join the game,if it was restored to it's former settings. This new format hasn't worked from day 1.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 30 December 2010 - 11:53

I'd be happy if the bugs were fixed and it just was left alone for about 5 years! He needs to finish his new game!

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Sunday, 2 January 2011 - 23:37

which former glory? there were several

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Wednesday, 5 January 2011 - 10:19

The way it was back in 2005-07.

Last Edited : Thursday, 6 January 2011 - 09:42

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Wednesday, 5 January 2011 - 12:25

I would pick the one where we had the most players for the most extended time and go with that version! Possibly 2003-2004 or 2004-2005...but not sure. Do you have reliable data on player numbers and longevity?

edit...Just saw the classic 2005 version link! Checking it out now. Pretty cool to see it again!

Last Edited : Wednesday, 5 January 2011 - 12:38

Zandorr
Joined 4/03/2009

Posted : Thursday, 27 January 2011 - 14:07

I liked the war dogs and maps that had the same terrain mix everywhere

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 09:01

Please return it back to the way it was from 2000-2006. More players would come back and new ones would join.

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 15:29

Everyone's resistant to change... they get used to one version... become masters at it... and when what they used to do no longer works, they get afraid and instead of adjusting, some choose to give on the game.

not everything that has changed in newer versions was awesome... but there were some changes that were made for the better. and really, I don't think all the old players are going to magically come back if this game were to magically be restored to some random point in the past. some people are just gone for good... and considering we have like ~60 players now as opposed to 300, it's very unlikely that the other 200+ are going to even realize something's happened, much less come running back to play.

also let's say you go back to 2005 for example. what about people who first joined in 2007? the game will be foreign to these people now and they might quit and leave. you can't make everyone happy. I don't think the changes are killing this game as much as people in general becoming less interested in the type of game WoL is over time... all Req could ever hope to do was continue to improve and tweak things, hoping to attract new players to replace the old, but it'll likely take something REALLY innovate to seriously attract new players in significant numbers.

another issue with people saying "go back to 2002-2007" is that this statement doesn't even make sense. There were probably at LEAST 20 different versions of the game in that 5 year span. You can't go back to all of them at once.

The hardest thing about WoL campaigns is the need to time manage. if you don't have any work, school, or other obligations, it's pretty easy to play around the clock... but for people who have stuff they need to do, it gets difficult... especially if you're not working at set hours. you can miss turns or miss your timing advantage and end up being dominated by someone just because they could log in at more opportune times. this has always been a problem that the game suffers for. Unless someone can magically figure out a way to resolve that, this game will never be one that a mass amount of people can continually play for long peroids of time... and given that the gimmick of WoL is the whole time-based/tick-based strategy element, I don't expect to ever see the timing issue be fixed.

That's kinda why I loved the implementation of duels... you get something turn-based and far more fair, but still retaining much of the campaign elements. campaigns themselves, however, are impossible to keep up with.

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 16:25

wow ,some excellent points made there .
every one has rambled on this subject ,incuding myself ..
in reply about your comment ,crazy, the time commitment thing , it doesnt compare with a very succesful game called 'tribal wars' which there are people here who play/played ,that game you literally need to devote 24 hrs day to it to succeed and premium payment to benifit from the advantages ,and many people pay it ...i'm sure if this was a real money making venture for requiem he would devote plenty more time and money to it ..
I've mentioned prviously that req should have more payment options ..like the cards anyone can buy from shops/stores to pay online easily , securely and anonomously ,,i'd gladly donate some money this way..
i've also mentioned previously that i think the internet has changed so much now that even good internet sites can never be really busy ,i dont need to explain the reasons.

The exceptions being the real big boys like facebook,twitter etc .
I agree with you crazy , this game will live for as long as req doesn't press the button. There'll always be people that love the game for what it is and has been ,we'll keep coming back,even though we moan about it, it's a stayer in my eyes .

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 16:43

there was a version of this game once that required you to be here 24 hours a day to really win.

I think you had a % of action points that would restore by a little bit every hour... so you had people who would make spend every single hour trying to use up whatever points they had accrued to get the better of the enemy... it was a crazy clickfest that deprived people of sleep.

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 16:52

lol ,thats it ,, i didn't know this game had ventured into those realms ,,, it's the reason i started playing this game , i had given up with tribal wars and i was in search of something less time dependant . this game was perfect/totally flexible. This is a big strength .

Last Edited : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 16:53

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 18:32

It's still a fun game, we just need more players, so recruit, please.

Last Edited : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 18:33

Hwatta
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 - 19:17

I could be wrong, but I don't remember the game from 2003-2005 being incredibly time dependent...like it is NOW. Back then, the moves and combat strength did build on a tick basis (some each hour), instead of a complete restoration every 18-24 hours.

A good player who understood the rules (RPS, don't attack from blood spots/rubble, ZOC, etc.), didn't need to be on every hour to prevail in a battle. A player who was on constantly could only nip at your forces with weak attacks, while your return strike at full strength could decimate their army. It was fun, and made the game truly unique! Also, with the option to build huge armies (more than 10 per unit...up to 999 in fact without triggering a bug), your stacks could face a few attacks from minor units and still have a big kick on the counter-attack.

From what I've seen there is much more value to a double turn attack now than there ever was to hourly hits in the previous version. If I miss a turn now, or someone sets up a double attack opportunity, my army is never able to recover.

How many of you have a facebook account that you check more than once a day whenever you can? WoL used to be the same thing. I would check in as often as possible to see what my game friends were up to and I could always spend some time taking a turn in my campaigns. It made for a more involved player community and I think that was why we had over 1000 players at times.
Regards,
H.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 7 March 2011 - 11:07

"The hardest thing about WoL campaigns is the need to time manage. if you don't have any work, school, or other obligations, it's pretty easy to play around the clock... but for people who have stuff they need to do, it gets difficult... especially if you're not working at set hours. you can miss turns or miss your timing advantage and end up being dominated by someone just because they could log in at more opportune times. this has always been a problem that the game suffers for. Unless someone can magically figure out a way to resolve that, this game will never be one that a mass amount of people can continually play for long peroids of time... and given that the gimmick of WoL is the whole time-based/tick-based strategy element, I don't expect to ever see the timing issue be fixed."-Crazy Li

"there was a version of this game once that required you to be here 24 hours a day to really win."-Crazy Li

Between Req's personal desire to make this game into a mass chess game and his attempts to solve the problems you mention Crazy Li, that is, his attempts to harmonize the game tempo so that the *real time* player can't gain a tremendous advantage over the *one appearance per day* player, I'd estimate that at least 50% of the changes to the game have been for those reasons.

However, I've not played in such a long time that I can't give you any specifics, but I'd also have to say that although I did try to adjust from being more of a *real time* advocate to the type of game Req feels is more fair for everyone, imho it's also the reason we once had over 1000 players and now less than 100.

Again imho, if interested in greater numbers one should cater to folks that play the game, not to folks that can't play the game, but again Req has been a sort of idealist in trying to create a sort of mass chess game.
Personally, I finally lost interest after the introduction of the fantasy class of troops.

rex

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2011 - 08:50

How about a tick time of 8 to 12 hrs. between a move,in a 1 per turn game a day? I mean,it would be nice if U could make a full move or attack in 8 hrs. Or create some 3 turn games.

Last Edited : Thursday, 17 March 2011 - 12:47

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 - 11:30

"doodoomite TXM
Joined 12/11/2005
Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 08:50
"How about a tick time of 8 to 12 hrs. between a move,in a 1 per turn game a day? I mean,it would be nice if U could make a full move or attack in 8 hrs. Or create some 3 turn games.""

To my knowledge we already have *3 turn games* except at present possibly not enough folks available to fill them.
The slow games are made for folks that are unable to play in games that allow full movement of units every 8 hours,
So your request would ruin slow games for them;

however, I would agree that *slow games* may be good for some folks, while for other impatient folks like me, they might cause us to play poorly using units prematurely like I'm doing in the *2005 version*
(not sure if the more recent version allows premature movement tho).

rex

harleyxcty
Joined 17/11/2002

Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 - 14:41

I am not picky the former game is the awsome game but it too was not without it's flaws to. But this new version does have ALOT more flaws then the older unfortunetly But I do keep my fingers crossed for Req to pop in and surprise us all

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.144531 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap