HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.29 APR 2024 03:57  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums
Forum : General Chit Chat
AuthorTopic : Rex and Hitme's meteorology topic
hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Thursday, 23 December 2010 - 10:31

Rex,Do you use the cross winds rule for predicting short term weather forecasting ,some guy wrote a book on it,It involves standing with your back to the wind and observing the upper winds .Very effective apparently ,but i haven't quite mastered it yet.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 23 December 2010 - 13:15

"hitmewithit",
I really had no intention to post here at all because my opinion of you is not as good as it was before your last post in the *"cookie"* thread ... the word hypocrite keeps crossing my mind.
However, on the topic of meteorology, the idiots today would make Francis Davis roll over in his grave ...
they can't get the current day's temperature readings right much less make an even close 5 day prediction.

As far as *"cross winds rule"*, today's idiots are great for new terms and new rules also and no I'm not familiar with it (can only say if they use it, hope they learn how to master it).
You see "hitmewithit", I speak like that because I do follow the weather because I try to save money by allowing icicles to hang from my spigots in the winter time.

The weather is basicly about differences in temperature which yes do allow air flow from there to wherever (winds) ...
warm air will tend to flow over and toward cold air and cold air will tend to flow under and toward warm air (convection currents).
Then of course this movement of air tends to cause pressure differences due to the tendency of warm air to spiral upwards.

Warm air tends to hold more moisture than cold air and that leads us to humidity and dew point where dewpoint is the point where condensation and precipitation will occur when the moisture content of the air reaches 100% for the temperature and if the temperature is at 32 degrees F or below, precipitation may be snow.
Another major factor in weather prediction is being able to determine transfer of heat and latent heat.

An example of latent heat is the heat trapped inside of the oceans and that heat has been a significant factor in keeping our New Jersey temperatures fairly moderate
and yes I do look at these things for my own use and because today's weathermen are not Francis Davises,
but here's a good link for you if you are truly interested:

www.wunderground.com/

The full screen weather map is all that I need ...
if I don't see single or teen number temperatures coming down to New Jersey from the NW and I do see above freezing temperaturs SW, S, SE and E, I'm happy ...
that's as far as my weather interest takes me.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 23 December 2010 - 13:20

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Thursday, 23 December 2010 - 15:16

As i've said ,i am interested in the weather ,though i gave up trying to understand it ,as i feel it's like trying to predict a pan of boiling water .lol
As you made it clear in the other topic this one isn't neccesary ,as you have no interest in pursuing the subject so i requested mog to delete it (maybe mog may hang fire for 48 hrs incase this topic is still viable)
Obviously you dont think to highly of me but i try not to offend anyone and try not to make any remarks on them ,despite how i may feel.
I haven't responded to your comments for the reason you described ,but i was happy to continue them here but alas this appears to be a futile venture ..

The cross winds rule is a way of predicting the forethcoming weather ,when you dont have access to T.V ,radio,pressure readings, newspaper isobar maps or any other outside source.. you simply stand with your back to the wind observe the upper winds.
By doing this you can locate where you are in a low pressure system .for example -with your back to the wind and the upper winds travelling from your right to the left you know the low pressure system has passed you and the weather will improve and visa versa.. it does occasionally come in handy .
I'm not to good (lack of practice) at knowing the direction of the upper winds.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 24 December 2010 - 07:00

Actually before this is all deleted I feel the necessity to clarify that gravity plays a major part in the weather also in that cold air being more heavy than warm air tends really to flow into low areas of the terrain of the earth like into river valleys and into lake areas
and so the terrain of the earth must be considered also when predicting the weather.

PS:
Delete away ... your loss ...
just like burning of buns, I mean of cookies ...
oops no I mean of books.

rex

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 24 December 2010 - 09:49

yes ,i remember ,the earth spinning causes the hot and cold air tranferance (between the poles)to be more complicated ,and sections the the earth surface into 6 sections known as Hadley cells ,is that right rex? where the air circulates within these sections ,,which constitutes the different air masses .
I'm just trying to prove my range of knowledge on the subject.
There wont be any deleting going on now..

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 24 December 2010 - 11:59

Of course the spin of the Earth, the trade winds and the jet stream provide the basics for the flow of air, but that's mostly upper atmosphere flow and admittedly sounds like you know more than me about it.

However, there are as far as I can tell from a brief research of it, 5 cells:
the two polar cells,
the two mid-latitude cells
and the equatorial Hadley cell
which I guess can be called north Hadley and south Hadley which would add up to 6 cells:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell#History_of_discovery

Down closer to the earth though you will find that the wind direction/flow of air is being changed all of the time by cold air masses moving into low areas from where warm air masses heated by the radiation of the sun are rising
and if the temperatures are extreme the results may be extreme (i.e. high wind storms) attached, but relatively independent of upper atmosphere.

PS:
As far as I'm concerned you can go ahead and delete though ...
I did ace meteorology 101 45 years ago
and I did learn that the iceages were caused by the accumulation of snow year after year which did not all melt away each year and so gradually caused a drop in atmospheric temperature as the snowlines continued to expand and I did learn about the mini-iceages I already mentioned that occur every 20 to 30 years

and I did learn about the 11 year solar cycle which one side of the climate debate claims underlies the climate change, but again I'm bored with all of this now
and I'm sure most others are bored with it also;
but we should all be grateful that either Mother Nature or God in His Wisdom designed the earth as He did because as it is now, it's self checking/cyclical.

As I've said, it's the moisture content of warm air providing the bulk of the greenhouse effect and as long as that atmospheric moisture can come down to earth in the form of rain or snow, I doubt if global warming will bring about our demise.
Yellowstone or some stray asteroid are a bigger threat imho and they say that the polarity of the earth's poles may actually be flipped come 12/21/12 ...
hope my heart can handle it.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to Nibiru? Is it a hoax that a celestial body/planet twice as big as Jupiter passes through our solar system every 3600 years?

rex

Last Edited : Friday, 24 December 2010 - 12:02

hitmewithit
Joined 2/09/2009

Posted : Friday, 24 December 2010 - 12:58

I remember seeing your post about Nibiru ,wasn't that the one that was photographed veering off course by or even crashing into the sun ,i found it very interesting and i cant see it not being totally genuine,,,i just wish i was still in contact with a girl who was studying to work with NASA ,and she had a great interest with the subject.
I mentioned your previous post to her (months ago) but i cant remember what she said ,i do remember she had concerns that NASA are majorly downsizing and she felt that it's virtualy impossible that she'd get her job she was hoping for.
Though Europe is becoming a big force in space exploration.
I dont play the same game anymore ,but i could still reach her through facebook if i need to.

Back To General Chit Chat   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.158203 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap