HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.30 APR 2024 00:07  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : Clans ?? (closed)
Calpurnius
Joined 13/05/2010

Posted : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 10:24

I think there are two things missing from this game.

1. The social aspect of the clans.
Without clan communications, there is no feeling of being a team.
Had played a game with small player base, they dedicated a thread in forum per clan.

2. No real clan fights.
Have read about only one clan fight since joining game. Campaigns seem like an extended duel.
Would like to see a regularly scheduled clan campaign. If you join, you are teamed up with your clan mates.
( If you are the only active member in your clan, don't participate or join an active clan. )

I think the bonding of players, in forum or games, would help in keeping new players interested.
I've seen several new players join and quit once they lose their first campaign. I'm sure they feel all alone and confused in those games.

Last Edited : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 10:27

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 11:54

I agree, clan games are very fun and good for friendship in the game, however, there just aren't enough players on the site to support real clan activity. There used to be hundreds of active players, the clans were busy fighting and all was well.

I think the only real solution is for players to go get new players and entice them with clan membership. If we could get active player numbers back even in the low hundreds it could work. Outreach to new players is important too. When you see a new player, send them a message, offer them help, be friendly. It's still a great game, even though a lot of the old vets are weeners who abandoned the site, or haunt it and won't play any games except trivia in the forums!

I feel bad that new players like you didn't experience the "old days" of a few years back, it was far more exciting here.

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 15:04

Mog, oh Mog..
Right, shoot the messenger. That'll surely bring in more active players to the game.
Who is the weener? Us vets who told you guys what the consequenses of all those game changes would lead to or you who blame us when we now are proven right?
It's like running a restaurant which is serving tasteless food combined with poor service and then blame the ever shrinking number of customers on that they have no taste and that they demand too much from the waiters.

Clangames used to be great. Long nights of planning, plotting, endless countings on attack and defence points, plannings when to move and in what order to move the troops. Scheeming, waiting for the tick to come. Hoping to get that attack in before the other team, real excitement, worth all the hrs of lost sleep. Then all that changed as the game went turnbased, new set of races introduced and the rules got simplyfied until it got boring.

I and many with me tried all we could to keep the game we had but in the end we lost to Req and his yaysayers. Thats ok with me, it's Req who is in charge, don't expect me to play a game I don't think is any fun thou. Above all don't blame us vets for losing players. We did what we could to prevent those changes.

I'm deeply sorry the game died. I lost good friends and nemesis's in the process and I miss what used to be a great forum to discuss and debate all kinds of matters in. I still try to to keep players in here by posting in forums in order to hopefully interest someone enough to take part in the process of bonding and discussing whatever matter they think might be of interest.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 19:37

LOD,
I didn't make those changes, I didn't agree with all of them either. I didn't shoot Calpurnius, did I? Was he the messenger you spoke of? Or is it you that you meant?

Maybe you should play a game here once in a while to find out what it is like nowadays. It isn't all bad, you know. You haven't even tried in years. I know you like having an even 500, but you could get an even 1000 now!

It makes me sad that so many older vets left and never came back. I understand that lives change, priorities get shifted, but it still makes me sad. I used to have a number of friends here, we had a great clan, but they are mostly gone... often to play other games similar to this one.

I'm doing what I can to improve the game, fixing the very out of date manual and tutorials. I can't make structural changes. If you engaged Requiem on some of your issues he might be more interested in hearing you now that the game is at a low point. Go talk to him in IRC if you would like to have an effect. He is considering many options, maybe he will adopt some of yours if you ask.

He is also truly working on WOK, just slowly. It took him about 5 years to get Wol mostly working, then he did change it a lot and lost a lot of players. The thing is, he changed it partly due to players requests, you know, just not you and your particular friends, I guess.

You knew the game needed some changes, right? It was never perfect or right to a lot of players, including you. Did you really like having to get up every two hours so you wouldn't get wiped out overnight? Do you remember The Iceman and his tactics of meth addiction and 72 hours straight online until he won every battle? It was ridiculous.

Okay, I am braced for your reply, sock it to me!

SIMONSAYSDIE
Joined 29/11/2008

Posted : Thursday, 15 July 2010 - 21:40

you rock mog... no one here does what you do for this game...

LOD: Us vets who told you guys what the consequenses of all those game changes would lead to or you who blame us when we now are proven right?

Thats your opinion LOD... I too like the old school of play... but the game is still fun and free...you should stop whining and try it out... its like you keep returning to a restaurant that serves food you think sucks... yet how do you really know it sucks if you don't sample the product? and why not just find a new restaurant? or are you here to just knock a game which many of US VETS still enjoy?

a real warrior adapts to change!

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 03:02

How do you know of the old school Simon? Did you play under another name? The changes were made before you joined. My opinion? I stated that the game lost players and that we were a bunch who predicted that that would be the case. How is that my opinion? The figures speak for themselves.
I did try the game Simon and Im not trying to take the game down, on the contrary. I didnt post anything like this since several years back. Mog started to blame me for the loss of players, as you can see it was clearly me he was refering to in that statement, should you read it.
He jumped at me for no reason. I hope I still have the right to defend myself when attacked.
I did not say Mog isnt doing what he can to keep the game going either. Stop blaming me for things I didnt do nor say.
I dont eat here, I just hang around in the bar, chatting, drinking the occational beer..
Yes a real warrior adapts to change and leaves the battlefield when his services is no longer wanted. A good general must know when to retire. That doesnt mean he has to leave his country.

SIMONSAYSDIE
Joined 29/11/2008

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 06:58

a good patron at a restaurant doesn't sit around in the lounge complaing about the place...

and yes, i played this game under a dif nic before... i am a vet who has played both new and old versions... the difference is i still play... you just seem to hang out and knock the game with your "i told you so" attitude...

a real warrior or general would adapt and fight... not sit in the bar sucking down beers and knocking his country!

i think you choose not to play because of fear... the fear of change... and the fear of losing!

just my opinion of course

Calpurnius
Joined 13/05/2010

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 08:23

Regardless of what had been, my comment was to add a little something to promote a common bond between clan mates.

I think if you can strengthen the bond in clans, then the clans will expand and add to the player base.

I would like to like to see a private thread for each clan, so people can make comments or ask questions about certain players or games, without the entire gaming community knowing.

Last Edited : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 08:27

Tyler salyers
Joined 13/05/2003

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 11:12

okay this is just a dumb discussion to be honest.

LOD its not good to have the i told you so attitude, but you are right about many things about the game. i dont think mog was really trying to say us vets are the reason the game died, i just think its frustrating for all us to see the game go from 1000 players to just 73. like i said i honestly dont think Mog was trying to jump all over you its just more of a reference too how WOL use to be. a vet would take a new player under there wing and thats how we gained alot of members. i mean i personally helped alot of people back in the day.

Mog: i have been here for when everything was happening from new techs too double trouble, from tick to turn based, Duels to clan wars. i mean 2005 2006 was the hey day for the game cause it was fun. even looking at old stuff there were more players against going turn based, then staying tick. i mean look at it from this view. if you check my games when it was tick based i played 3 games in a year out of those 3 we had 2 innactives, in 2008 i played 3 games had only 6 actives :-p i mean come on? you miss a turn in this game its makes you just want to give up and you cant be on at the same time every day. duels as turn based i think eh, i loved batteling back in my day, and i can honestly say i never got into duels because of the uncertainty of when they would go turn based. i know you diddnt make any of these changes but its hard to deny the facts, that going completely turn based has made this game not as unique. even when people were online all the time you could beat them. i mean i went to school for 8 hours a day and worked and still was a top 20 campaigner so saying the people who were on all time ruined it is a bit flawed.

Simon- Why play a game you have no enjoyment playing and just stresses you out? i mean thats how i felt when i played i missed my turns all the time cause i couldnt stay on that extra hour to hit my turn and wouldnt come back until 8 hours into the next one my enemy would already get first attack and there was nothing i could do about it lol. this game was UNIQUE as a tick based game, you just diddnt really see any games like it, now tho its just like any other turn based game. back in the day i chose waronline over ACTUAL games like Empire earth, or total war, CIV. but now its just another turn based game i might as well just play my 10 $ copy of medieval total war, or risk for that matter.

Now look im not trying to knock any of you just trying to explain there is no reason to get mad at each other throwing words around and such. wol was a unique tick based game you could get on any time and be still competitive now i just see it as why play if i cant even be competitive? i cant be on the computer at the same time every day im in college and have a job its just impossible.

by the way i miss all youl guys

Last Edited : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 11:13

LOD
Joined 13/12/2001

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 14:20

Simon, I dare you to find a single post where I talked the game down or posted anything in the way "I told you so " during the last 2 years until now when Mog called me out with his post.
For me its history, the fight was lost several years ago. I no longer care about who said this or that.
Will it help you understand what I am saying if I shout?
I ONLY REACTED BECAUSE MOG KICKED ON ME.
I hang in the bar drinking beer because I like the company. Also Im an old friend of the owner

Last Edited : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 15:36

SIMONSAYSDIE
Joined 29/11/2008

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 21:37

the game was free and fun back in 2004... it is still free and fun in 2010... you should buy the owner a beer!

last years multi clan war was just as exciting/fun as any game i played in 2004

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 16 July 2010 - 22:35

LOD, I think you took what I said in general too personally. I have nothng against you, at one time you were a great asset here (and sometimes you still are! ) and played fantastically well. I wish you could still enjoy yourself playing here, but you don't, so I won't push it any more. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers, my original comments here weren't directed entirely at you.

Rock on, Wolnuts!

Trotsky
Joined 13/07/2009

Posted : Saturday, 17 July 2010 - 14:27

A bar is a good analogy for this thread . Same kind of rambling woe is me ,the world stinks,my cat is road kill, my wife did it , etc. you hear near closing time . Bar flys drive away more business . I hope new players ( and old ones ) aren't driven away by this prattle. This is one good game. Let's repeat that to get through the" drunken fog ". This is one good game. No , it's not the "good old days", and it never will be again ( evidently), so LIVE WITH IT ! I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but do you guys ( gals?) realize what you sound like ? Killing off the player base by constantly repeating at every opportunity that this game sucks is not very productive , nor honest . I've played war games at every level of complexity you can think of for over 50 yrs., and I will repeat IMHO that "This is one good game ". I'm getting testy - time for my medication .

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.144013 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap