HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.28 APR 2024 05:34  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
<<   1 2        
AuthorTopic : Reconsider castle defense bonus
Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 11:19

perhaps make castle techs the way armor techs are... that is, an increasing amount of gold per purchase of increased def tech...

basic castle def1 2000 gold
basic castle def2 3000 gold
advanced castle def1 4000 gold
advanced castle def2 5000 gold
expert castle def 6000 gold

and perhaps only allow the advance+ techs after the castle walls have been upgraded to stone

Last Edited : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 11:20

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 11:28

Yes , I would like to see it so that a cat at full att takes five hits to take down a wall or building at full power,A siege should not be an easy thing .

BOOST UP THOSE CASTLE DEFFS NOW ....

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 11:31

lol, i think this thread is abt lower castle defs Harold at least for the troops inside.

No da vo
Joined 9/12/2009

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 12:50

that would be a fair solution, increase wall exp so it takes longer to tear it down, make the 'seige' more difficult but lose that def bonus.

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 13:39

I second no da vo's motion

if this were to happen however we should probably reduce commandeers to putting up one building at a time again. If it takes several turns to tare down a wall and it is extremely easy to erect mass walls... it'll become the norm to just pop up a tone of'm any and everywhere. Maybe we could make it so the walls get extra hp if they are constructed within the castle, adjacent to it and or adjacent to roads. All other walls could be made to be knocked down in about 2-3 turns.

Maybe add an ability (sure up) which would allow units inside the castle to reduce their movement to 0 in order to focus that unit on holding the wall or gate together. Take all the units movement away until it disease (disengaging and engaging would take a turn) but would make the building that is being sured up have maybe... 10-20% resistance ranged (add a turn or two to the life of that wall), if it is a commandeer doing it 20-30% resistance. If the unit attempting to sure up the structure is in blood or rubble he could be disallowed from sureing up the structure or have the resistance bonus cut in half. This would make it so there is more incentive to come in close to a castle and if there is no bonus for just being in the castle then it becomes possible to close the distance. Good bonus but sacrificing movement would could end up costing you. Ranged units would be unable to perform this ability.

Last Edited : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 13:57

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 14:06

I think this is just for the castle bases crim, I think it would work very well

No da vo
Joined 9/12/2009

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 17:52

jmo but I don't like the idea of changing troops' movement in any way outside or inside the castle, but you're right about coms building walls or any buildings for that matter, I always preferred it when they could only build 1 building at a time.

I do like the idea of adding strength to walls but only on the castle slab, not next to it or any road. This would be an easy switch this way, just transfer that castle def bonus to the castle and take it off the units within the castle. Kind of funny a tech named castle def gives the castle itself nothing, but the troops get super armor.

At most the units should get no more than 10% def bonus, maybe in 2 tech's of 5% each, but the walls could get up to 200%.

Zues
Joined 23/11/2004

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 20:22

you always preferred it when comms could only build one thing at a time eh No? its been quite awhile since those days

No da vo
Joined 9/12/2009

Posted : Friday, 12 February 2010 - 21:48

yep '07 to be prezact!

Crimsondawn
Joined 12/06/2007

Posted : Saturday, 13 February 2010 - 11:32

So should this apply to all buildings in a castle or just the wall?

If we do give bonus health to all buildings I think it could be fair but the extra range from the barracks would have to go... If it takes 5-6 turns to take out a backs with cats you would need a lot of cats to be able to take out that one barracks and probably loose a few on the way. Throw it way to the defenders advantage and allow for the abuse of barracks.

I like the idea of sturdy walls adjacent to the roads because castles are in themselves rather tiny + if you let people go for building next to roads you'd see a lot more interesting designs in the defense of castles (have to keep things very economic inside the castle so your troops don't get bogged down but make it so your enemy has a hard time breaching etc. You still can tare down one wall and get access to the castle because they can't block the road. This could become a weird thing to program though and would probably be more work then it is worth.

The only bonus I think units inside the castle should get is maybe 10-15% resistance against ranged units if any. (most archers on the outside of the castle won't be able to see those on the inside.. that a could account for their inaccuracy.) This gets a little more complicated thought might want to keep it fairly simple... sorta hypocritical here

No da vo
Joined 9/12/2009

Posted : Saturday, 13 February 2010 - 19:20

yea I was thinking of keeping it simple if it were to happen(as if it would ever happen anyway lol), any building on the slab. Asking the programmer to do all the work involved and pray there is no bugs because of it, would be too much off the slab. There are other ways of keeping your cats safe while they work, and then again if it's not so easy to kill a barracks then maybe you better have enough troops to breach the wall and go in and kill everybody with the barracks intact, remember the troops wouldn't have super armor in this scenario. Ah but aren't we dreaming? nothing is going to happen before WOK, and I don't expect that before 'the end of days'.

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2010 - 07:23

How about we simply give buildings inside the castle the same defence bonus as the troops get from castle protection (with castle protection costing more, as per Zues' suggestion)?

At the moment, cats always do 4000 damage to buildings if they don't move - the amount of damage done is not reduced by any defensive bonus, or by firing at extreme range.

If cats did less damage at ranges beyond 5 and buildings in a castle received the same defensive bonus vs cats as units do, then this would help a lot.

But if the castle protection bonus applies to siege damage then it should definitely cost more.

Most castles are actually vulnerable to cats because the buildings that start inside never get the increased hit points that come from stone shielding, architecture, etc.

Perhaps an extra upgrade to retrofit these techs to all the buildings in a castle, similar to upgrading the pallisades to walls, would solve this problem?

klyph
Joined 30/05/2008

Posted : Saturday, 20 February 2010 - 22:13

ACTUALLY No da vo it was in 2008. I remember this because it was just when I started playing and right before I got married.

I like hambones idea, seems reasonably sound and doesn't seem like it would take to much tweaking of the game code. Then you just have to consider the bonus that the buildings would get.

As far as the cats go, I definitely think they should be vulnerable to the damage:distance ratio like ballis.

<<   1 2        
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.154297 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap