HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.28 APR 2024 22:41  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
<<   1 2        
AuthorTopic : Best Tactics after recent changes
Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Saturday, 10 October 2009 - 15:56

Yes, but Req's recent changes have made it more difficult to block with pallisades - basically you have to build them in advance, before the enemy gets close.

I notice, too, that pallisades and walls have gone up in price recently.

I used to use pallisades and ballistas all the time, but since the change am trying a new tactic - mixed forces and as little as possible spent on anything but building units until you are about to join battle, then attack tech whilst the battle is ranged and defence once you join hand-to-hand combat.

The thing with ranged, though is that the max range of the unit is still key. If you can fire from just outside you opponent's max range then effectively you get the same benefit as the knight's special - i.e. no retaliation.

If you add up the economic cost that gives you the edge.
Not sure if this is a true story, but it's apt:

An American lieutenant was interrogating a German lieutenant that had been captured:
"So, if you're the master race, how come your my captive?"
"I was tasked to defend this round and let no tanks past. I set up in a good position, so my 88mm could cover the approach. Every time a Sherman came round the corner, we destroyed it."
"And?"
"I ran out of shells before you ran out of Shermans"

By not wasting gold on anything I don't need, I hope to have the last Sherman (ballista, catapult) on the battlefield.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Saturday, 10 October 2009 - 17:36

Good! That was the point of raising costs and distance from enemy to build and comm's limits, to stop the rampant walling off at the very last second, thereby thwarting what would have otherwise been a good attack, only to see one's troops destroyed by smug ranged behind instant walls. Good! Use your troops! Plan ahead! I love it.

Princess in the Shadows
Joined 14/11/2008

Posted : Monday, 12 October 2009 - 02:43

Ive tweaked my game slightly and it seems to be working so far.
Cheers Angie

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Monday, 12 October 2009 - 13:54

yeah, mine's going fairly well too, although most of the changes have affected my troop mix for the worse.

Main difference is fewer pallisades and barracks constructed.

Princess in the Shadows
Joined 14/11/2008

Posted : Monday, 12 October 2009 - 14:59

I dont use palisades and the 2 barracks in the castles that you take are a worthwhile prize considering their high cost to build

klyph
Joined 30/05/2008

Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2009 - 03:40

if you can keep your opponent from destroying them...

or from destroying them yourself

Last Edited : Tuesday, 13 October 2009 - 03:41

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2009 - 06:16

Yeah I know - barracks are defintely worth capturing, especially if you've seen both Knights and Catapults come out of a barracks in a castle.

I deliberately didn't destroy a barracks this turn (which cost me the ability to take over the castle this turn) in order to get the barracks next turn. - gain 10,000+6000+7000 loss -1000 (income) - whatever damage his one knight and whatever he builds in the barracks can do to me this turn

estimate +21,000 gold

CREST
Joined 1/06/2003

Posted : Thursday, 15 April 2010 - 09:23

well i know i just got back and all but i like the idea of ranged lossing some of there pucnh it puts more emphisis on a players skill in zoc rps combinations and overall battlefeild awarness

aswell as being more historicly accurate (shock infantry from the west beat the crap out of ranged hordes from the east...at least untill they got on horses)

so all in all ya i like it ill get creamed my first few games relearning but i belive it will make a better game

<<   1 2        
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148438 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap