HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.6 MAY 2024 06:35  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : Current troop power questions
Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 01:17

Hi all, Requiem and I were talking about schtuff in the IRC and I mentioned how strong catapults were these days. He suggested I ask the forum what you think about current troop powers in relation to one another... should some be weakened, strengthened... what do you think?

titonator
Joined 12/02/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 06:37

I personally think cats should be brought down a little, even as little as making it take 2 hits to take out barracks. I feel that would make it a little more interesting ... maybe?

doodoomite
Joined 11/12/2005

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 07:58

I think it should stay the way it is,since Req is getting the other game ready.

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 10:09

One hit if you have not building/shielding upgrades, more if you have.

Also as HC are now lower in power perhaps more range would balance things again

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 13:54

I think a 10pop cat taking out a normal barracks in 1 hit is just fine. the problem is that if you start trying to attack that cat to hopefully save your buildings and end up lowering it's pop... if it still wipes out the barracks in 1 hit, it's too much.

I don't know what the lowest # is to take out an default health barracks, but I know 8 still can... maybe even as low as 5... what do you people think should be the cut-off point?

I personally think that anything 5 and under shouldn't be able to take out a default-health barracks in 1 hit. more than 5 in the stack is fine by me.

also, I don't like that hcavs are so weak now... they used to be the king of troops, but now they're pathetic. they should be balanced with Knights and Maces, but they're not. Knights seem to be able to almost evenly kill them on retal when attacked by cavs. that makes Knighs the superior top-tier troop, since they will crush Maces and don't have to worry about cavs. This is imbalanced. Every unit in a tier should be able to get the better of the unit of the type that is weak to them. all scissors should crush papers. if you look at what happens when you attack a swordsman with a scout, that should be fairly consistant on each tier.

if I attack a unit in the same tier that is weak to the attacker type, at the same size pop, I expect to be able to kill no less double what I lose.

also, Marksmen, though extemely expensive seem easily exploitable in battles. I'm not sure how you can possibly fix this that won't just make them a waste of money in camps/duels... but consider this:

I attack a 10pop marksman with a 10pop maceman... (keep in mind that this is the highest tier of melee we're talking about, so it's pretty much like attacking with the strongest melee force possible) the marksman loses 3 in its stack. the next turn, the marksman backs up and kills 4 maceman. if you keep up this pattern, the melee unit is obviously going to be bested by the ranged unit, despite taking melee attacks. that just doesn't sound right to me...

now you may say that the expenses of the marksman offset this, but I say bull. that scenerio was in the best possible advantage to the maceman. since the marksman has range, it can hit the maceman first as it's getting close and kill 5 right off the bat. in that case, your melee doesn't stand a chance.

you can't safely advance on that mark. stand 8 hexes away so you're not immedately in range, and he'll step up 1 and snipe you. there is no way to punish a marksman with melee units, despite that being the way you're supposed to deal with ranged. you'd hafta bring in a swarm of top-tier troops in order to do it, and if you had the money to make more than 2 top-tier melee, your opponent likely had the money to make another mark.

traditionally, ranged units need to be protected by melee to survive. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore for our friend the marksman.

anyway, sorry for the long post and rambling... >.>;;;

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 17:40

Im with you on this Li
1 . I would like to see cats only take out a barracks at full pop only

a knight would cut the legs out from a HC`s horse so the first hit should be harsh , but then its man on man and it should even out a bit

3. a mark should have a random `full kill` after all its what it should do , this should be for any troop except siege.

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 18:10

ps I think the speed of siege should be much lower ie three to four hex ... these are heavy things and it sould take time to set them up

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 18:28

cats should be at least a hex slower than rams, I think... cats already have insane range

Harold1 DoC
Joined 21/04/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 18:35

As im drinking a rather good red wine and i think my best intoxicated, rams at 4 hex cats at 3 hex movement, i would consider lower for each now that a barrack is so easy to build where they are needed....

Hope these idea`s are used for wok ....;p

Pict
Joined 27/10/2007

Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2009 - 20:46

Personally I think ballis are too strong.

It used to be that once you got in about them you could smash them up - even with basic troops. Now if you attack a stack of ballis with a stack of say scouts (the only basics that can reach them without taking at least one hit) the scouts come off worst due to the health of the ballis.

As they have huge range and good killing power (esp when tech'd up & with comm support) they are now too dominant.

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2009 - 03:38

I dunno... ballis seemed to have faded out of the picture, actually... about 6 months ago, everyone abused them... but now, I don't see them as much. their poor movement makes them impractical if your enemy is either far away or in open terrain. I think marks have become a lot more popular as a ranged option.

though I will say that Squires even with their ranged defense don't seem to handle ballis as well as they used to.

I think the big problem is that there are 4 ranged tiers as opposed to 3 melee. that's what's ruining everything.

I say ditch arbs entirely. they're not useful now, they never have been useful. all they do is make the higher ranged too powerful.

If you got rid of arbs and made ballis lv2 and marks lv3, you could reduce the power of both to be more aligned with their respective melee tiers. that might solve some problems both units have with being overpowered compared to melee.

if squires and ballis are both tier 2, a squire stack should then be able to decimate ballis again like they were supposed to. as it is now, their ranged defense is kinda pointless because tier 2 units can already destroy archers, arbs are like never used (and they'd probably be ripped apart anyway) and they aren't well protected from ballis.

a scout still should still struggle with ballis, though... but the idea there would be to use multiple scout stacks to move in... 1 does the initial hit and might lose a bit... then the rest can chip it away until it becomes significantly less effective.

Pict
Joined 27/10/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2009 - 07:23

I agree that you've got to attack with multiple stacks Li, but I've seen a 10 pop of scouts lose 8 on that first contact which seems a bit excessive a retal for ranged.

Crazy Li
Joined 4/09/2007

Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2009 - 12:36

that much, I'll agree with... they should lose like... 4?

Hambone
Joined 27/12/2008

Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2009 - 17:01

Personally I think the gap between one tier and the next is too much.
I reckon a paper lvl1 should be about even attacking a stone lvl2, ditto scissors lvl2 attacking paper lvl3.

Any melee unit attacking the same size missile unit one level higher should do more damage to the missile unit than it receives in retal. (bear in mind that the surviving missile troops can retreat and fire, taking no retal damage on their attack)

Also, make it so that lower level troops get more experience than higher level troops for killing the same unit.

This would mean that a Spearman that is successful and kills many scouts/archers etc would advance in experience quicker. Increase the benefits of experience so that about level 12-15 the experience gain should make it about equivalent to the next level up.

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.156250 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap