HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.7 MAY 2024 02:20  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : New Classes
Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:24

So for the new version (War Of Kings), I'm looking at having more factions/classes of smaller numbers. Then when you play you select any 2 factions creating numerous class/faction combinations. I'll probably start with 4-5 classes, and go up to possibly even 10.

I have 2 undead factions, 1 medieval, 1 fantasy, 1 demonic, and a few others.

A big question, is do we include a sci-fi/futuristic class/faction? I have access to art for alien creatures and futuristic soldiers, etc, but not sure if we should go cross genre, or just stick to purely fantasy.

the other question is do we lock games into picking 2 of the X classes each game, or do we just unlock it so you can pick troops from any class when creating your empire.
This applies to campaigns as well battles.

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:39

Uh, I know there's a few people who would prefer sticking to "historical" things.

I personally don't mind, as long as it doesn't get to the point where its' "pick X or Y and you win the game instantly"... that said, I don't want two classes to be carbon copies of each other. Lucky you have to do that, Req .

I like the tactical choice of having to select X and Y then battle/duel with those. That said, I also enjoy the idea of playing with every unit. Perhaps different gametypes?

By the way, do you mean something like each class has maybe six/seven units and you pick classes that you want? Because that's something I'd definitely like, playing with two classes of sixteen units would get a little superfluous for a few, surely.

^ector
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:44

I'd be all for an "outsider" type race, alien like, but not advanced in tech - like the mind flayers from D&D. or ant men. etc...

key point being, satisfy that "alien" nitch, that need for something altogether otherworldly - but I don't let anybody have guns or ships, etc... leastwise, that's my opinion on where to draw the line.

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:46

Yes, each class has about 8 cards per class.

btw, WoK uses Cards for getting troops/buildings/techs. (bit like Magic).

Each class will have cards of squads (where 1 card = 2-6 troops) and heroes which are 1 troop per card.
So each class will probably have 4 squads and 4 heroes.

For each game, you have to create a DECK of 40+ cards.
So its up to you which cards you include in your deck, and whether you stack it with lots of techs, buildings, weaker squads or tougher heroes, or balance it out.

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:47

here are some posibilities for sci-fi troops...

www.onemonk.com/SF504-Cyborg-Slaughterers.html
www.onemonk.com/SF501-Mutant-Outkasts.html
www.onemonk.com/SF1002-Hybrid-Warriors-BUNDLE.html
www.onemonk.com/SF1001-Zeroid-Skelebots-BUNDLE.html
www.onemonk.com/SF1003-Terra-Force-Soldier-BUNDLE.html

Guns are not a problem because we can alter their stats anyway to match other units.

Last Edited : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:51

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:50

That's a rather drastic overhaul...

It reminds me of Age of Empires 3, but a little more card-dependant.

See, in AoE3, you play, you play, you play, bam, you earn a "card", which you can play from your "deck", which gives you tech, troops, resource, etc.

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:55

Not too sure about AOE3.

In my new plans you create your deck before you play. Once you have created your deck, you play with those cards only.

Once you play a troop card, you get those troops to deploy, and that card goes in the discarded pile. Once you have gone through your whole deck, you start again from your discarded pile.

So it becomes important to construct a well balanced deck. It is very different though yes, but should be very interesting, and makes for a different game every time.

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 00:58

How do you "pick" cards? Draw into a hand? One-from-the-top?

The problem I see is that you can get drawscrewed and lose no probs.

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 01:06

Not sure yet. have to playtest it.

Could be Hand size of 10, and draw 1 per turn (but you start the game with 10 in your hand), or you chose what card you want each turn.

Starting with 10 cards then 1 random card per turn sounds more interesting tho, especially with special cards that allow you to draw more cards, or reshuffle your discarded cards back into your deck, etc
And starting with 10 already does reduce the randomness a lot, especially if you only had a 40-card deck. By turn 10 you'll have seen 1/2 your cards already.

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 01:11

The thing is, you want some element of randomness while not sacrificing fairness.

How about a reshuffle? You trade your score (not gold), shuffle your hand into your deck and draw the same number of cards again... you'd need to moderate this somehow though.

What kind of cards are you thinking?

Taxes
4x Spear
Hero X
+5 Attack
Palisade Wall
3x Knight

That sort of thing?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 01:42

Add all the classes and factions you want.

rex

Last Edited : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 08:47

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 12:10

You could include some form of bonus if a deck has only 1 or 2 types of factions in it, but allow pplz to make a deck with more if they want. Maybe certain cards have better effects if these conditions are met. A variation of this could be where if a certain other faction ISN'T in ur deck, the card has better effects. You can also of course have 'colorless' or 'neutral' faction cards that don't affect anything faction-based.

As for another faction to include, maybe creatures of the Underdark (subterranian world, dono if that is a Forgotten Realms term only or if it is more common)? Mind flayers and Drow (Dark) Elves and whatever monstrous creepy-crawlie things you might think of. Ooh, giant cave spiders come to mind too

-Biodus-

pinafore
Joined 19/07/2001

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 14:06

i dont think you should implement alien races. orcs, elves or other fantasy races would be better imho.

im also unsure about the cards idea. i normally dont like random factors in strategy games. but as you said, we have to test it and i will give cards a chance. :-)

Last Edited : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 16:29

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 14:24

I'm going to reserve judgement on if I think it'll be good or not when I get more information. I still think it'd suck to be, say, playing a campaign, be stuck with all your tech cards then get rushed by some guy who dropped a bunch of low-tier troops and walked into your base.

If this is implemented, I'd like a) lots of testing, b) large hand size, and c) a reshuffle mechanic of some kind...

Choirsinger
Joined 19/12/2007

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 18:38

I don't think i quite understand everything which is because i didn't read everything...
but you said War of Kings Req, are you meaning we are changing the name of this site?
and those links there, i liked the 3rd and 4th link pictures(hybrid warriors and zeriod skelebots...i didn't like the others. those looked like some of the unites we already have

Last Edited : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 18:39

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 21:09

War of Kings is a different game than Waronline, although many of the features of Waronline seem to be try-outs for WoK. Req is working on WoK and who knows, he may actually get it going! Yay!

BloodBaron666
Joined 1/04/2003

Posted : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 22:17

Am I the only one whom this "card" idea is new for? It's not that it's bad, it just feels like I missed out on that post .

I don't know how many people here have played Magic (the card game); I only started in college because my friend had the cards lying around, but I think the concept is very cool. The ability to build a deck (with not just troops, but perhaps buildings, upgrades, spells, traps, etc.) is cool in and of itself, but then to actually play those cards out on an interactive battlefield (rather than simply comparing stats like you would in a tabletop card game) really makes this idea interesting.

As Biodus points out, I wouldn't put a limit on what cards you can choose; in Magic your mana type limits the type of cards you can reasonably include in your deck. I'm sure we could come up with a similar system (like, to train fliers, you need X demonic building, to train archers you need X human building).

*(That said, certain balance limits, like only allowing so many of one card or a type of card, are different, and will surely be necessary as it goes through testing)

I do think we should stick to the fantasy-demonic realm, at least for the time being; we'll have enough on our plates just dealing with that. Maybe future troops can be an expansion pack

I must say, after hearing this suggestion I'm much more excited for WOK. Magic Online is garbage, and finding people to play the physical game with (particularly since I don't even have my own cards ) is a pain at best. I think we can really tap into something missing in the gaming world here, something that will perhaps be more globally appealing than WOL (much as I may enjoy the game ).

Last Edited : Monday, 17 November 2008 - 22:23

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Tuesday, 18 November 2008 - 00:18

Yes, most of the WoK discussions were in IRC.

The idea is similar to Magic the card game, in that you have classes containing troops, enhancements (techs), buildings and other cards.

WoK also uses a new map system that consists of Zones (1-hex radius = 7spaces). Each Zone you own gives you Tribute.

The other idea was that each Zone gives you a Color resource (eg, White, Green, Black, etc) based on the class that captures the zone. So if you choose an Undead & Medi class to play with, you'd have White & Black zones as you expand. Undead(black) cards need Black zones and Medi(white) needs white zones. Bit like Mana from Magic.

The other idea is to just have 1 resource like GOLD regardless of what troops you have.

The final idea is to not limit your deck to 2 classes, but allow players to build decks from any of the cards they have access to.

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Tuesday, 18 November 2008 - 01:12

I like the idea of capturing zones for your resources, that really has some tactical benefits I can see. So what, you take an area, deploy troops off it... that's nice.

How about adding a sort of RPG element to the game by allowing a player to "unlock" new cards through some sort of techtree system, unlocking a new card per victory, maybe... just to give incentives for winning. Of course, to do that you'd need to a) limit deck size and b) stop people just bashing on lower-decked and lower-skilled players for new cards. Perhaps you could use a sort of tiered deck system, when you can only use a certain rank of deck, the deck being ranked on what cards are in it (perhaps only allowed X amount of high-level cards, etc).

^ector
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 18 November 2008 - 01:37

Req, I'm all for a game option where you pick # of classes allowed, and can (as the creator) ban a certain one.

I.E. I make a game, it lets you pick 2 classes, no undead.
or 4 classes, all allowed.

also, I'd be up for having the option, durring map creation (or selecting an option for it if making a random map) to have areas where colors are stuck - maybe one color, or an "either white or red" two color block.

having "color stuck" areas would be a fun twist, because then you could make multiple decks and have the option of picking which one best fits your location when you find out where you spawned.

EDIT: color stuck areas also solves your desire to adapt this to board game form, wherein I think all areas would necessarily be color stuck.
unless you've got an easy way to quickly change the color of a tile on a map... I'm assuming heroscape hexes here. doesn't seem easy.

Last Edited : Tuesday, 18 November 2008 - 01:43

1 2   >>
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.170898 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap