HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.3 MAY 2024 14:39  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 1 (2)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : Move/Action Delay
TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Friday, 24 October 2008 - 23:35

My position is this concerning simultaneous campaign battles:
quickest with the mouse belongs up in the Arcade games;

So with that said, how about if there were a one second delay after each move or action of a combatant?

This would allow a sort of turn system where when combatant A moves/attacks, his opponent combatant B would have one second to counter before A can move/attack again.

PS:
It might even have to be reduced to half a second because it's very possible that some folks are quick enough to do multiple moves and attacks in one second (I guess, but not likely).

rex

Last Edited : Friday, 24 October 2008 - 23:37

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 01:01

After re-reading my first post, I don't think I'm stating exactly my meaning (i.e. I would want to allow a combatant to do all he can in one second and then not be able to do anything for one second afterward).

rex

Requiem [R]
Joined 3/02/2000

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 03:48

but it takes longer than 1 second to move/attack then select another troop to move/attack.

i do see what you mean though. 1 second would not be long enough, but if it were say 5 seconds i could see that helping the simultaneous problem a little. so after you move/attack, you cant move another troop for 5 seconds.

of course, when you're not in a simultaneous situation (playing on your own) it would be frustrating to have to wait. and there is no way to know if other players in your game are going to cause such an isuee.

and even with 5 sec pauses, im not sure it would solve the problem. an interesting idea tho.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 04:16

Yes, I thought it was interesting too ...
sorta like playing in slow-motion and something else I want to mention is that it wouldn't be that one of the combatants would necessarily start first if they were both ready, they would both start at the same time

and might even for a while both do nothing at the same time other than maybe refresh, but eventually they might start falling out of step and that's where they would be reined in by the delay.

Also yes one second is not enough, but I think 3 seconds might be better than 5 and yes if we had to play like that even when not in battle, it might be boring I guess.

Anyway glad you found it an interesting idea.

rex

laur
Joined 9/01/2008

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 04:22

interesting ideea, but if you are retreating then you are f***...cause no matter what you move the opponent will find another troop to destroy in those 5 seconds...and so on

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 04:46

I'm not sure if my logic is right in my last post, but you have to keep in mind that it's not actually turns.
If it were 5 secs and you both started together, I think you could probably retreat three units in that much time

while your opponent might have to move and then attack with one unit which would be at least three seconds probably
and how about if he tries to attack a unit that you moved?

Nice if it could be tested.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 05:08

My logic is that it's not likely that the two combatants are going to stay exactly in step with each other.
Okay I think I know where my logic is getting flawed ...
this would not be a non-stop run of the clock (i.e. it would have to be that each of the combatant's moves are timed).

When a combatant starts his move, he would have say 5 seconds to complete it and then 5 seconds delay where he could do nothing, but the clock would not continue to run (i.e. the clock would have to be restarted when he starts his next move and thats how the combatants would fall out of step because they wouldn't both do their moves at exactly the same time).

It's getting too complicated now for me to fathom.

rex

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 10:15

PS:
Let me try this again ...
in order for this to work the way I first intended, I think it might have to be first come first serve (i.e. no two people are going to start their turn at exactly the same time so it would have to be that the first to start gets his time interval (5 seconds (I prefer 3 seconds)) first and then has to wait while his opponent gets his 5 second interval

and contrary to my previous explanation the clock would be
running and not being restarted.
It would be nice though if initially both players could move simultaneously because there is always a unit or two that a player would like to save by getting it out of harms way and it would be very disappointing if that were not possible.

rex

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 15:21

TR, this is always going to happen. I don't think it's possible to institute a system that stops it. If I make a move, then refresh, the second player is always going to be playing catchup to me anyway.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 19:01

DG,
it's just an interesting idea like Req said and I just tried to refine it ...
whether I did or not is beside the point, but the idea that "the second player is always going to be playing catchup" is not true because that's being addressed by this.

Like I said, it would be nice if initially both combatants could start together so that each could execute their most critical move like relocate a valuable unit, but then after that if a transition could be made to this where one combatant is forced to wait while one moves/attacks and then vice versa, there may be an initial loss to the combatant moving second, but at least if it were because he's a little slower to move, his next move won't be smothered by a faster moving opponent ...
he would have 5 seconds to make his best shot with the remainder of his units and the remainder of the battle would continue that way.

As it is now a player who has rehearsed all of his moves and is more quick with the mouse can literally smother and stifle the moves of a slower opponent ...
I've been involved in enough of these simultaneous confrontations to know, but again this is just an interesting idea that might be too complicated to do and might cause some other problems while not completely addressing the issue and I except that, but you are saying something I don't believe is true.

I've even implied in the thread somewhere that a refresh could be done during the waiting phase and just before the action phase would be the right time as a matter of fact
and after thinking more about it Req is probably right that 5 seconds would be needed to make a comfortable move except it would cause annoyance to the rest of the players in the game.

rex

darkguy00000
Joined 11/04/2006

Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2008 - 19:05

I'll agree that it prevents faster players dominating slower ones, but it still doesn't solve the problem in its' entirety.

And I for one would be irked by having to move, wait five seconds, move again, wait five seconds, etc. I don't know if I have time for that, because sometimes I take turns in a few minutes.

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.156250 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap