HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.20 MAY 2024 09:23  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Suggestion Box
AuthorTopic : Elimination Duels
^ector
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 14 October 2008 - 00:24

With the new scoring system as it is, I believe many may try a "rush" strategy, only to count down the turns and realize that the enemy who by force has lost, by terrain "tribute" points, the scoring system we now have, has won.

Its fair, and will need to be taken into consideration to win. if you lose in a duel because you didn't pay enough attention to capturing points, then even if you are winning by force, you deserve your loss.

As much as I see myself having fun with duels as they now are, I also see a fun way of going around this potential frustration completely, and playing a more "head on" style of duel, no bean counting, no crossing your fingers and hoping you've got enough tribute when what you really want to do just now is ravage the bloody countryside and raze your enemy's fortifications to the ground.

Here's my suggestion:

Make a new duel type - Elimination.
It will probably be appealing enough to some, the rush strategy, that a new category could be made just for it. You only win when the other guy dies or forfeits.
gold only maps could be made, but this sort of game would work on any map really, just don't go for the resources. I don't think this idea would work for camps at all, save perhaps in clan games, but I think it would be a very fun option for duels.
The resource scoring system is, in my opinion, fair and simple - and the only solution for camps. But elimination would add, to duels at least, a finality to the victory that would be sweeter, and more real to many than holding more territory over time, and so I think should be considered.

I would play both styles of duel, depending on what mood I'm in for strategy.

^

p.s.

I realize that, at least among vets, this might cause the number of turns in a duel to go quite beyond 100. I didn't say that Elimination duels would be faster, however. Just different. That victory would feel more complete.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 14 October 2008 - 01:41

If you eliminate a player in a duel you win regardless of points as it is, how would what you suggest be different?

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 14 October 2008 - 01:59

He's not emphasizing enough that it would be played to the death (i.e. no matter how long it takes).

rex

^ector
Joined 11/11/2003

Posted : Tuesday, 14 October 2008 - 02:12

TR's right, it would be to the death, infinite turns till one is dead.

the other way it'd be different is, neither side would go after tribute at all. just grab the gold, points aren't going to matter so no spending time sending troops out to take resource buildings.

if what req said in IRC is true, and points don't matter if one side dies, then the only thing needed to make an elimination duel happen is to set the turns to max, infinite if possible, and ends when one dies.

Back To Suggestion Box   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.089844 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap