HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.29 APR 2024 21:26  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 3 (3)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
<<   1 2        
AuthorTopic : Possum-pounce tactic (closed)
Acelnorst
Joined 30/03/2007

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 03:53

I think we''re all giving too much importance to this. This has come down to a retal of word attacks and personal stuff... I don''t think there is any evidence he is using the bug, and this I''ll believe he''s not (plus I would personally have thought, for as much as I know him, which isn''t too much, that he didn''t do it, even if he didn''t say anything) That first post he made did led me to believ he was using it to take advantage, but then I read on and read the explaination and that he was testing it in an unranked campaign and all that, and that made me more comfortable. Sorry for have thought bad of you but that first post was a bit unaccurate

Anyhow, Guys, there is no sense in continue this fight. Lord Dio has all the right to doubt of Bio''s honour if he does, and Bio has all the time to demonstrate the contrary in battle.

Acelnorst

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 12:30

The problem as I see it is that if folks are constantly deliberately setting themselves up to take nine hour turns in a 2T/day game, they do end up getting 4 turns in about a 38 to 40 hour period relative to the normal 48 hours for the full 12 hour turns (i.e. keeping in mind that they miss an initial opportunity to take their initial turn of the four turns on time (hope my semantic adjustment from "missed turn" to "missed opportunity" keeps everyone happy).

You don't really lose anything ... you still get all of your resources and production except you miss the OPPORTUNITY to make the moves for that initial nine hour turn nine hours sooner.

Anyway, we have determined that getting those three nine hour turns + an odd catchup turn (which maybe longer than nine hours) by Starting Turn, making one's moves and then Ending Turn either just before the next turn is supposed to arrive or just after it's supposed to arrive, but doesn't arrive until nine hours later, Still doesn't give a guaranteed double attack;

but folks who see that their opponent is taking his turns within a shorter time period do tend to feel uncomfortable about it thinking he may be gaining an advantage/cheating even though his turns have only been compacted in time So that he can catchup and do not allow a double attack unless his opponent is too lax in taking his turn and so allows it because of that and it is not due to cheating.

Again I haven't been using 3/4 turns, but I did feel less vulnerable to a non-guaranteed double attack on the few occassions I have because instead of the possibility of taking one's turn at the same time as your opponent every turn, the possibility would only be one turn out of four if one could continue to set one's self up to take 3/4 turns.

As far as a guaranteed double attack where one would get 5 turns instead of 4 during a 48 hour period in a 2T/day game, I admittedly don't know how it's done except that it was hinted once that it might have something to do with when the moves of the initial turn that is Ended to start getting the 3/4 turns are made and on which side of the borderline of the next turn that's supposed to arrive the turn is Ended;
So if I have given away any secrets/mysteries, don't blame me ... blame the guy who wanted to let me know he knew about it first.

PS:
Again you actually have a danger of being attacked first at every normal turn time if you are too slow or too late to take your turn when you should have taken it, So don't confuse that with cheating either.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 12:46

Acelnorst
Joined 30/03/2007

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 12:40

That is true Which leads me to believe... you can actually have 3 turns in a row including the initial free turn ^^

Very good resume-explaination-sumup-thing, TRex!

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 16:43

I do not see anyone setting themselves up to do that... at least not in the games that I have been in. And, the problem was already explained Rex, ur post was un-needed. And don`t go trying to tell everyone what the bug exploit is either, I do not think any better of myself because I know how it works, I do not have a, "ha ha! I kno and you don`t!" attitude about it. Other people don`t need to know about it because then other people might use it. And I wasn`t trying to let you know I knew about it first, in no case was I trying to say that, so I do not know where u are coming from.

And Acelnorst, this thread is not about anyone fighting. It was about trying to discuss a problem, and I was discussing the problem while defending myself. Say something helpful next time. My first post was perfectly accurate, if maybe a little misleading.

I am still waiting for an apology from a certain party... I have apologized for anything I may have said wrong, but I do not retract my angered statements about said party until that party retracts its own.

*_* Biodus *_*

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 17:55

Biodus,
did I mention your name in that post above?

Also sorry, but I do think my post was necessary because there are many folks getting confused about it thinking it is cheating and nowhere has anyone explained just all the circumstances without a lot of extraneous rambling off-topic and arguing.

It was as was complimented a good summation that explained why a person might think it is cheating, but is not cheating and it did also explain that there is another trick that is cheating along a similar idea.

Read it Biodus ... it's accurate and concise without special terminology that can be understood by anyone who makes an effort to understand it.

The only thing I left out is that:
by ending your turn just late (that is for example in a 2T/day game ending your turn for example 3 and 1/2 hours after Starting the turn will cause you to get one turn nine hours later and then followed by a catchup turn that will get you back to normal turns).

Now I'm happy that I have made the summation above because it is common practice for someone to do in these forums (even in the word games) and I did not try to take credit for being a trail-blazer discovering this feature or bug So the only reason I can think that someone would be unhappy that I have made the summation above is possibly because they are getting some kind of entertainment value out of being one of few that understands it and able to win bickering arguments with folks who don't understand it.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 18:01

Lord Dio
Joined 13/12/2006

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 18:27

TR, I am confused about nothing. I know the difference between the two and my opinion of taking advantage of a system that allows such a move as being a cheap tactic, is my own to make.

Bio, I''ll retract nothing I''ve said, and will continue to consider you a Boy as long as me and mine are labeled "creeps" by your previous posts. I have nothing more to say, this matter is closed.

P.S. Sorry Mog, but I wont be talked down too by anyone, no matter how "polite" they make it. Ever.

Lord Dio D~S

Last Edited : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 23:25

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 18:53

Lord Dio,
did I mention your name in that post above?

I really did just make a standard summation for those who are confused about it because I see this confused topic as recurring time and again.

I also feel that I can say more in my defence of making the post, but I'll leave it lie except that I may add it to the "sticky help thread" trying to be even more concise and with greater clarity.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 18:54

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 21:35

Lord Dio, Biodus, TR, Acelnorst, and others - Did I mention your names in the above posts?

Heck, maybe I did... lol

Lord Dio, Boys Will be Boys - Men Will be Men - those who take it the one way and not the other will sufficiently categorize themselves. (what a redundant statement within a statement THAT is...)

Biodus and T-Rex - good luck sorting it all out - Rex, thanks for further clarifying the 3/4 turn exploit - knowing more helps me identify when someone is using this tactic, which is interesting and helpful to know at the least.

As for "anyone" who feels it necessary to continue to bash every post that anyone makes in reply- shame on you for being so argumentative...

"Some Parent''s Children... ...sheesh"

Jmacattack D~S

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 21:45

Lord, please quote exactly what I said when I was "talking down to you". That way I can aknowledge if I was wrong in my statement, or clarify if there was a misunderstanding. And anyone who has been talking to me as you have is a creep. The matter is quite far from closed, u cannot talk to someone like that and then claim it is closed. You made no attempt to better relations, which I will do until I think it is a hopeless case.

Rex, I kno u were referring to me in that one comment. Don`t try to play it off. Personally, I am sick of trying to explain this topic to people. A summation would be good... but that was not a summary of the problem. U didn`t show how someone could move twice before someone using the current turn system. Have at it.

*_* Biodus *_*

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 23:07

Biodus,
I was not referring to you, but here we go again with I didn't explain this or that. I thought you didn't want that double attack trick revealed and I have admitted that I don't know how it's done;

but my summation was sufficient to discuss all the features which are not cheating and to differentiate those features from the bug/trick that is cheating.

In other words if a person is able to see something different from the features I have described, it very well may be your bug/trick that supposedly you discovered and off hand I would have to say that it might be revealed by the closeness of the defence messages, but ... oops yes, I recall now that you did mention something about that somewhere.

Please Biodus read from:

"Rex to argumentative" in Jmcattack's post above

because he certainly is a good communicator
and for the last time I am not trying to steal anyone's credit and I was not referring to you.

I have a right to post in any thread I want as long as it is relevant and I do feel that this 3/4 turn feature gets bogged down with confusion and arguments everytime it is discussed So that there is a need to get it clarified.

PS:

If you want, I'll experiment with the bug and report back on that too ... okay.
I won't be answering your next post Biodus.

rex

Last Edited : Thursday, 26 April 2007 - 23:11

Biodus
Joined 9/07/2005

Posted : Friday, 27 April 2007 - 00:48

hmmm... I have carefully re-read your initial post TR, and it does show/explain well why people get uncomfortable when someone is catching up. My problem with it is/was the lack of focus on the fact that people being lax with their turn-taking schedule can cause double-attacking to happen. There is also the fact that someone overactive can play in such a way allowed by the flawed system to greatly increase their chances of double-attacking someone, without breaking any rules.

(for anyone out there with any confusion) A flaw is a deficiency in the way the game is set up. A bug is a flaw in the programming. The 3/4 system is supposed to allow flexibility, but it`s flaw is that it allows the double-attacks.

Paying close attention to the defend messages will tell you if ur opponent is expoiting the bug, or the flaw. If you get one defence message for 2 attacks, it was the bug. If you get 2 defence messages for 2 attacks, it was the flaw. This could be wrong, because I do not know exactly how the message system works. If it still sends 2 messages for the bug, then the 2 messages would be sent during the same game turn.

Don`t tell me to read part of someone`s post TR. When I am as engaged as I am in an argument like this, I read everything multiple times. And not cuz I like to argue. I want to get what I say right so the argument can end.

As for the whole credit for stuff... I am not concerned on who is getting credit for something. I do not like the way you, TR, responded with the `was I talking to you?` type of statement. You do egg people on TR, and act all witty about it.

Are you honestly telling me that your statement:

"So if I have given away any secrets/mysteries, don''t blame me ... blame the guy who wanted to let me know he knew about it first."

is not talking about me? As in I am not the ''guy'' who wanted to let you know ''he'' knew about it first?

Sure, u can post in anyone`s thread TR... I just personally feel that oftentimes your posts are unhelpful or just cause problems. That is my personal opinion, and you cannot change that by arguing it, and you may have ur own opinion.

BTW, there is nothing you need to test TR. It is/was taken care of by Gueritol and me, we don`t need u working on it as well. If you really want to, explain what you are going to do to and ask Guer if he thinks you should.

*_* Biodus *_*

P.S. Go ahead and cop out TR. I will be happy to not have to argue with you.

Jmacattack
Joined 12/02/2007

Posted : Friday, 27 April 2007 - 01:20

I feel what can only be described as the "Last Word Syndrome" coming on... (as if it weren''t "on" already).

Perhaps these very words will actually win that battle - and be the L-A-S-T W-O-R-D.

(Nope, couldn''t let it happen, had to say something else. Darn it, I am always trumping myself. Could someone else please try to have the last word here so I can come back and try to have the last word AFTER the last word? Bio? TRex? Lord Dio? Anyone?) lol (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Jmacattack D~S

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Friday, 27 April 2007 - 03:54

Here''s my last word... yikes!

Closed because it got to where I just couldn''t read it anymore.
Mog

<<   1 2        
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.140625 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap