HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.7 MAY 2024 12:50  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
1 2   >>
AuthorTopic : new players vs returning vets
rekindledflame55
Joined 27/09/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 09:35

This happens a lot I guess. New players that are actually returning vets...what happens high level people face them and what? Lose.

Well I want to know why they lose so much. I've heard well I thought they were new so I battled them as such.

All I have to say is why do you battle the two differently? Shouldn't you battle the best of your ability each time, and prepare for an opponent that could potentially beat you?

*shrugs* Just seems to me that if you're going to battle you shouldn't go in expecting nor thinking you're going to win no matter who your opponent.

Underestimating someone is the easiest way to get your rear end handed to you. So some strategic advice, don't overestimate anybody!

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 13:29

you mean underestimate

well the thing is that no matter how hard people try there are just people that they KNOW they can beat...for example Mog can beat me in a battle...and im pretty sure he sees it that way too...or you know...odenage knows for a fact he can own me silly...i bet he knew this each and every time we played...its natural to think this way...its actually the driving force behind some players...having the ability of knowing who they can beat and who they cannot...but then again taht does hold some players back simply because they are always thinking he can beat him...must avoid him...a lot of people have no faith in their own abilities...its just something that happens that way i guess...

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 14:01

In my case, it takes concentration and a bit of energy to play my best. I have to stop listening to music while concentrating, and I'd have to get up and walk around between turns. If I don't think I'll need to concentrate, I'll save myself the energy.

Usually, though, if the enemy shows himself to be competent, I'm not so far behind that I can't catch back up and win by concentrating.

(and as for the walking around...it gets blood to the brain. Have you ever taken a turn, gotten up to go to the bathroom, and when you come back immediately see a mistake you made? If you go to the bathroom BEFORE you take your turn, you'll see the mistake before you make it )

Odenage
Joined 17/03/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 14:29

the only games in my life that i concentrated at are against sage only. the rest i dont concentrate at all. I just get real nervous and i probably made about 1 mistake out of 5 battles we had, and i did extremely well in all of them. any other battles i have had, i think i had about 7-10 mistakes each battle. but when i do battle sage, im concentrated like no other and when the battle is done, i am out of energy and my brain feels puffed and cannot see anything but screen. its just the way my nerves work. so if you want a real good match from me, hack sage's account oh yeah, and one more battle against rog. i think its just when i try to impress someone of my skill, i get nervous and do my best. bc nervous-> makes my nerves work much better->my brain is a nerve-> makes my brain work easier/smoother

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 14:55

Also i just realized something...vets need to stick to vet fighting....bashing on people with a level a lot lower tehn your own is not always a good idea...not only could they be a vet in hiding or a seriously smart newb and beat your ass silly...but if you think about it well enough fighting with peopel around your own level wont lose you as much as it would to lose to a 'newb'....just my two cents.

EDIT:add soemthign i missed....

Last Edited : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 14:57

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 15:55

I'll battle nearly anybody, high rank or low. I get asked to battle a lot and I try to oblige. Even most returning vets can't beat me, although Kaiser Friedrich whopped me a good one when he came back as a 1:1. I underestimated him. Now I fight everyone as if they were a serious threat, at least until I can see they are newbies by their play, then I loosen up to get it over with quicker, knowing they won't see the opportunities a vet would see.

I think players sort of even out at their average level after a lot of games. I've been up and down by ranges of 50 or 60 rank points and just crawl back up again, but never to the top because I'm just not that good...yet.

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:37

Ultima: Once a veteran gets to a high enough level, we don't battle noobs for fun. It's, like you said, not worth the risk or (more often the case) the time. If we do fight noobs, it's to teach them something. And if they beat us...well...then they obviously have talent and we look into recruiting them for our clans

And at my level, basically anyone will take at least 8 points from me. A noob will take 9 or 9.5. Oh no

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:39

so are you saying you wouldn't battle me?

Sage DoC
Joined 8/11/2002

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:42

If you pestered me enough. But it's usually not worth my time to battle anyone under level 70.

I'll do it, like I said, if the person is persistent. But if I was looking for a battle on my own I wouldn't ask them.

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:43

ouch that hurts lol. But you know we could learn a lot from you, and I mean what are the odds of me beating you, look at my record it's pretty obvious I'm no returning vet or some allstar prodigy

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:45

as for me i battle pretty much anyone i see, i take most challenges depending on if i have the time, but i also challenge many of the so called new people. i just like to battle.

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:47

aye I've felt your whip many times Sire barb

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 17:49

lol

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 18:02

You know I have a lot of problems finding battles.

A) because new people go inactive
b) middle ranked people are always to busy
c) most high ranked people won't battle me cause of my low rank

How fair is that

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 18:07

i'll always battle you tammerlane

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 18:08

:'( Alas, so I am always doomed to lose to the barb king. How tragic.

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 18:54

I'll battle you, Tamm!

There aren't all that many active high level players at the moment anyway.

Coopels DoC
Joined 29/01/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 29 November 2005 - 19:25

more of the high vets need to get active again or else we all just can battle mog over and over again.

Tammerlane
Joined 14/11/2005

Posted : Wednesday, 30 November 2005 - 15:57

mog and coop, why are those my only options. I agree more people need to be active again. Has battling lost it's appeal over camps?

West
Joined 27/06/2005

Posted : Wednesday, 30 November 2005 - 16:08

I'm becoming a bit more active, but as you found out Tamm I'm still a bit rusty...I'll battle you again anytime if I have the time, which should be more often now

1 2   >>
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.156250 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap