HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.8 MAY 2024 06:06  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (1)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : The art of retreat.
Ghengis Khan
Joined 24/03/2003

Posted : Friday, 26 August 2005 - 11:28

I've heard many players say "if your running, your already losing". That is far from the truth. If you want to be a good player, you have to learn when and where to fight.

I have on several occasions bested an opponent in a high price battle. Only to lose the war later, do to attrition.

In the new duel campaigns conserving troops isn't as important, but in a regular campaign keeping your losses minimal is very important. After all in a regular campaign there is usually another opponent waiting to pound on you.

Rule number 1 in the art of retreat:

Don't be affraid to retreat! You can call it what you want to protect your ego. At times it is better to give up some ground, than duke it out with your opponent.

It is not always easy to tell when you need to retreat. Holding onto a good defensive position may well be worth it, even when your opponent out numbers you 3 or 4 to 1. Fighting from a poor attacking position isn't worth it, even if you outnumber your opponent 3 or 4 to 1.

Rule number 2 in the art of retreat:

Retreating is not running! When you are retreating, you take time and contemplate your move, keeping your units organized and in a defensive formation. You also move in directions that will help reduce your opponent's advantages.

Rule number 3 in the art of retreat:

Defense mode is not loser mode. Defense mode is costly to initiate (50BP) and move around in (half movement), it also cost 10 attack points. What it gives you is +10 to defend and 2 retals (please note this is for campaigns not battles). Many people only use defence mode only when their unit is trapped and going to be wiped out. But, it is also good when you are trying to hold a good defensive position and your opponent can attack 1 of your units with 2 of his.

Rule number 4 in the art of retreat:

If at all possible don't fight from rubble or blood spots. Leave them for your opponent. In the early game without techs these spots are extremely costly, in the later game they hurt but the techs offset them.

Ultima Bahamut
Joined 1/12/2001

Posted : Friday, 26 August 2005 - 16:23

correction...5 attack for 10 defense...

everything else is most definitely something i agree with

TheLix
Joined 5/07/2005

Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2005 - 22:04

I've never tried doing this, but what about setting up your troops to lay in ambush? The main block that I see in doing this is that there isn't much (may be none at all, I'm not sure) line-of-sight penalty when looking through forests or obstructions.. There's no way to hide your troops from the enemy, and he will usually see your men way ahead of time..

Another tactic is luring..
This is essentially feigning weakness in the attempt to lure an opponent into your prepared position .. I haven't tried this much either (One time I think against Mog in a battle.. didn't really work), but how about some suggestions on practical ways to lure your opponents into an ambush?

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.164063 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap