HOME   |   COMMUNITY   |   TRAINING   |   BATTLES   |   DUELS   |   CAMPAIGNS   |   HELP      
Click above links for MAIN menus, mouse-over for sub-menus.7 MAY 2024 15:45  
ShoutBox
PLEASE VOTE at
MPOGD & TWG

WoL Membership

SiteMap

free counters

W
A
R
O
N
L
I
N
E
:

M
E
S
S
A
G
E

B
O
A
R
D

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
Who's Online : 0 (0)
Active : 2 (2)

refresh
Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums
Forum : Strategy & Tactics
AuthorTopic : Duels
Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Wednesday, 10 August 2005 - 23:11

The new one versus one campaigns known as Duels are played on the old "4 player" map.

For the sake of clarity, I am using the hex 1,1 as the NW corner of the map.

There are two castles, one in the SW corner (7, 47) and one in the NE corner (44, 7). In the NW and SE corners are resource buildings and piles of resources. There are five unclaimed goldmines, four in the swamps and one in the snow at center. A ring of grassland circles the snow area.

The castles are many turns away from one another, perhaps five or six turns for average troops.

I have been mulling various strategies for the game I am in with obg1, Duel 10. While it would be silly for me to reveal my actual strategy, perhaps I can supply a couple of ones I've imagined.

Just as in regular campaigns, one has to decide whether one will choose to be proactive and aggressive or reactive and defensive. There are some places that would be rather easy to wall off on this map, especially in the snow. A player would probably have time to build some of them before being attacked, but probably not enough to really stop a determined foe early on in the game.

There are a lot of goldmines and that means a lot of troops and higher tech, earlier, I think. Each player has two quick goldmines in the swamps and another to fight over in the middle. Behind each castle there is a woodmill, a mine and a quarry, plus some piles of each.

A player could focus on getting and keeping the center or avoid it in order to attack the opponent's castle. One could make one huge army or a number of divisions that go to different places.

Any other Duelers out there have any observations?

Ghengis Khan
Joined 24/03/2003

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 00:49

I'll tell you once I kick Sage's butt, or get my butt kicked!

Corflu
Joined 22/08/2003

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 02:44

Where are the gem piles and what is in the middle snow area? Looks to be second resources in the corners. The layout of the resources will help determine strategy some here I think. Also, are any of the resources guarded?

Last Edited : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 02:45

Mog DoC
Joined 5/02/2004

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 03:26

The gemponds are right at the top and bottom and one in the middle. No barbarians that I've seen so far.

In the snow are one of each type of resource building. There are a lot of piles around, too.

TaurusRex
Joined 14/06/2002

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 03:47

Here's something you gotta know if you don't already about these duels. If you happen to go to the same corner as your opponent, you gotta make a fight and grab all you can because it's a dang long way to the other corner.
If your smart though, you'll get at least another unit headed for that other corner anyway to grab all you can there also.
I hope none of you made NAP arrangements though.

TR

Killerdude
Joined 1/03/2002

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 08:03

ooops..me and vagrant have made a pact that last throughout the game i better tell him this isnt going to work

Ghengis Khan
Joined 24/03/2003

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 16:33

None of the resources I have seen are gaurded.

The gem ponds are in the opposite corners and in the middle.

Killerdude
Joined 1/03/2002

Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2005 - 17:22

yeah, i have not yet ran into any barbarians or have i heard of any, anywhere on the map

Back To Strategy & Tactics   |   Return To Forums

WarOnline.Net is © Copyright 2000-2024 by Requiem. All rights reserved. [ 0.148438 seconds ] Privacy   |   Terms   |   Links   |   Stats   |   SiteMap